S-80 Emergency Landing LGA-ORD-JFK

Skymess

Veteran
Aug 6, 2004
NY
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/03/11...safe_emerg.html

American Airlines plane makes safe emergency landing at JFK airport after engine fails; no one hurt
By Jonathan Lemire and Wil Cruz
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Wednesday, March 11th 2009, 12:33 PM

Craig Warga/NYDN

Bob Bellini, owner of Varsity Plumbing in College Point, Queens, points to pieces of shrapnel from the engine of an American Airlines plane that are now lodged in his roof.

An American Airlines plane departing from LaGuardia Airport suffered engine problems Wednesday morning and dropped debris onto College Point before safely landing in JFK International Airport, officials said.

Flight 309 experienced "uncontained engine failure" - that is, pieces of the engine fell off - minutes after departing for Chicago O'Hare International Airport at 8:15 a.m. The MD-80 aircraft reversed course to nearby JFK airport, where it landed without incident.

"It appears to be engine failure," said American Airlines spokeswoman Andrea Huguely. "Our pilot declared an emergency shortly after take-off."

There were 88 passengers and 5 crew members on board, Huguely said. None were injured.

Debris from the plane landed on 123rd Street in College Point.

An an English major I have to say that we may need mechanics, but the Daily News needs better editors. Debris, not shrapnel, fell from the a/c.

Shrapnel is "Fragments from an exploded artillery shell, mine, or bomb." Let us hope and pray that it was not shrapnel that fell from the airplane.

AA should spend their time making sure our airplanes stay in the sky, versus busting f/a's and pilots for how many times they hit "Enter" in Sabre.

I'm wondering what it will take to teach the management types that a turbine engine is not something to play with time-wise.

"ENOUGH(let me say it again HDQ)...E N O U G H with keeping AMT's from doing their jobs the "RIGHT WAY", with Intimidation for ON TIME DEPARTURES, while RISKING a FRIGGIN' DISASTER.

ENOUGH with the LAYOFFS !!!
IF YOU HAVE TO CLOSE A BASE, SO BE IT, BUT YOUR BETTER MAKE DAM* SURE THAT THE REMAINING BASES HAVE THE PROPER MANPOWER<>>>ESPECIALLY THE LINE STATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"ENOUGH"...(WHAT PART OF THAT MIGHT YOU NOT HAVE UNDERSTOOD) ?????????????????????????

The HDQ 'Crystal Palace' is a place where common sense is NOT common. The place is an abhorent vacuum sucking the life force out of it's employees, customers and vendors. These 'Bean Counters' understand economics, not physics, not mechanical theory, nor Federal Law (ie, FAR's, OSHA, EPA and other CFR's). I am surprized that they can actually DRIVE to work, WASH their hands and OPERATE coin vending machines. Their vocabulary DOES NOT include the word "COMPLIANCE". Until Federal Marshalls walk into their office, they will not have a CLUE!! They are NOT COMPLACENT, but COMPLICIT!!

IF YOU HAVE TO CLOSE A BASE, SO BE IT, BUT YOUR BETTER MAKE DAM* SURE THAT THE REMAINING BASES HAVE THE PROPER MANPOWER<>>>ESPECIALLY THE LINE STATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Hampshire I think when all is said and done, the fact of the matter is that the rash of JT8 engine failures is going to come down to a problem in those shops that they want to shut. Just my opinion.

New Hampshire I think when all is said and done, the fact of the matter is that the rash of JT8 engine failures is going to come down to a problem in those shops that they want to shut. Just my opinion.

The company has been racking up a considerable amount of time on those JT-8s without proper/minimal maintenance. Not sure what else could be expected.

Another problem is powerplant engineers disobeying the very Maintenance Manual that they themselves have written. Time after time AA inspector's have found damage that was clearly out of limits per the MM. The inspector will order an engine change and then have their decision overidden by some "nucklehead" in powerplant engineering. It's only a matter of time before AA puts one in the ground or water because of the pencil whipping going on in the AA engineering departments. Don't be suprised if a "Ben Taylor" :wacko: special comes crashing into your living room soon.

Latest posts