Sa Travel To Pek

cmhqs

Jun 30, 2005
IAD
Visit site
I am a laid off employee. I would like to SA to PEK. My question is where do I get the visa to enter into the country? Do they sell the visa at the ticket counter or do I have to go through the China Embassy or through a broker that deals in visas? Thanks for any info.

Good day,

Adam

No, you are not able to purchase through the ticket counter. I googled "chinese tourist visa" and here's one of the links that I found...

http://houston.china-consulate.org/visa/english/lq.htm

Check and see if there is a consulate or embassy in your city...if not, they will give you direction on how to obtain a visa. I would not contact a broker if I were you, unless you don't have a problem with relinquishing your passport to them. You might as well send it yourself and save the extra cash. From what I remember, the tourist visa fee was about $50, and you had to leave your passport with the consulate for a few days.

Hope that helped!

Word of caution. Don't know if it still applies, but a few years ago, the Chinese would
consider a Visa stamp invalid if there were any other marks on that page of the passport.

Also, if you are a crew member with a work visa. Do not enter the country on a tourist visa on your days off because on your next trip there, they won't let you in. :angry: You will need to obtain a new work visa.

Thanks all for the info. I might have to fly to a city that has a Chinese Embassy since I don't really want to send out my passport via mail. I was in HKG a couple years ago. I don't remember if had to have a visa to enter there or not; or if it was SYD that I had bought a visa at the UAL ticket counter. Once again thank you.

Regards,

Adam

HKG does not require a visa since they are a "special administrative area". For mainland China, you need a visa. There is a consulate in Chicago, I am sure there is one in SFO or LAX too given the high number of locals that are in those areas.

$50 and one week IIRC.

Latest posts

Back