sad story

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
Published November 23, 2006

One of the drivers in a two-car crash on Alt. U.S. 19 near Curlew Road on Tuesday has died.

Louise M. Westenfield, 53, of Ozona was driving south on Alt. 19 about 4 p.m. Tuesday when her Chrysler PT Cruiser crossed the center line and smashed into Rick Gertsen's 1997 Cadillac.

Westenfield later died at Mease-Dunedin Hospital.

Gertsen 51, of Palm Harbor remained at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa on Wednesday. His injuries were not life-threatening, sheriff's officials said.

When the crash occurred, two people were on cell phones, telling authorities of Westenfield's erratic driving, officials said.

The callers reported that Westenfield had struck curbs near Tampa Road and had crossed the center line while speeding up and slowing down.

Gertsen was wearing a seat belt but Westenfield was not, according to the preliminary investigation.

An autopsy will be performed to determine how Westenfield died. That could help explain why she was driving erratically.

Westenfield had won awards in several local writing competitions for poetry and prose, including the 2005 Letters Contest for the Clearwater branch of the National League of American Pen Women Inc.

Sally Caron, a neighbor, said Westenfield was a flight attendant with US Airways who had four well-mannered children in their teens and in college.

Caron said she is shocked to hear about the erratic driving.

"She was the most cautious driver I have ever known," Caron said. "She was always the only one who drove slowly down our street."

[Last modified November 22, 2006,

this erratic driving that they are talking about sounds nothing like her. i flew many times with louise to mad. this is the horrible news . usairways has lost a great flight attendant and the world has lost a absolutely genuine human being. my thought's and prayers go out to her twin daughters, son and boyfriend. i just can't beleive this. :(

"erratic" is not how i would describe Louise. i flew with her often to europe and she was one of the kindest flight attendants we have. i looked forward everytime i knew i was going to be working with her.

we will miss her. :(

Westenfield, Louise M., 53, of Ozona, died Tuesday (Nov. 21, 2006) at Mease Dunedin Hospital as the result of an automobile accident. She was born in Buffalo, N.Y., and came here in 1995 from Laurel, Md. She worked 33 years as a flight attendant for U.S. Airways and was a prize-winning poet. Survivors include a son and three daughters, all of Ozona; her mother, New York; a brother, New York; a sister, North Carolina; and a companion. Curlew Hills Funeral Home, Palm Harbor, Florida.

Note: Survivors names edited out in respect for their privacy.

May God bless Louise's soul and may she find peace in heaven and comfort for those who she left behind.

:closedeyes:

Louise Westenfield

Visitation to be held Monday, November 27, 2006 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. Service to be held Tuesday, November 28, 2006 10:00 a.m. at Curlew Hills Funeral Home

(From the Curlew Hills Funeral Home web site)

Back