Save Bubba!

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Why don't we offer the mammoth beast a free ride back to Portland. Would be good PR. We did this before about 10 years ago for another lobster .

'Bubba', 22-pound lobster, to be saved
Wednesday, March 2, 2005 Posted: 7:59 AM EST (1259 GMT)

Bubba, a 22-pound lobster, is seen in a tank at Wholey's fish market in Pittsburgh on Tuesday.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- He could have survived two world wars and Prohibition. He also could have been dinner.

He's Bubba, a 22-pound leviathan of a lobster pulled from the waters off Nantucket, Massachusetts, and shipped to a Pittsburgh fish market.

On Tuesday, Owner Bob Wholey Wholey gave the lobster to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, which will send him to an aquarium at a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum.

"It is overwhelming," Wholey said. "If you see it, you will never forget it. Customers are just in awe."

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent Wholey a letter asking him to work with the group to release Bubba back in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Maine.

Another group calling itself People For Eating Tasty Animals reportedly offered Wholey a hefty price for the lobster. At Tuesday's price of $14.98 a pound, Bubba would retail for about $350.

Based on how long it typically takes a lobster to reach eating size -- about five to seven years to grow to a pound -- some estimate Bubba is 100 years old.

But Bob Bayer, executive director of the University of Maine's Lobster Institute, is skeptical and estimates that Bubba is likely 50 years old. Warm water and plenty of food may have more to do with a lobster's size than how long it's been alive, he said.

EyeInTheSky said:
Why don't we offer the mammoth beast a free ride back to Portland. Would be good PR. We did this before about 10 years ago for another lobster .

Actually, you might want to offer him a trip back to ACK instead, since that was where he was found... But I have to agree that a giant lobster makes for a better marketing tool than Seth.

He's Bubba, a 22-pound leviathan of a lobster pulled from the waters off Nantucket, Massachusetts, and shipped to a Pittsburgh fish market.

"But I have to agree that a giant lobster makes for a better marketing tool than Seth."

Maybe Seth could turn into "Lobster Boy".......

I can hear the ad slogans now. "US Airways - we're "clawing" back" or "Fly US Airways "claws" we're still here".

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
"But I have to agree that a giant lobster makes for a better marketing tool than Seth."

Maybe Seth could turn into "Lobster Boy".......

I can hear the ad slogans now. "US Airways - we're "clawing" back" or "Fly US Airways "claws" we're still here".

Jim
[post="252133"][/post]​
A LOBSTER.......this is child game,

PIGS FLY FIRST.

i remember the good old days when usair used to fly PIGS accross country FIRST CLASS, of course after the 6th porker the feds put a stop to the money making venture based on the seat belt issue., besides they used to #### all over the place. :p

EyeInTheSky said:
People For Eating Tasty Animals

We have a (self formed) chapter in our department at the university. Our department chair has a farm and raises cattle. "Beef, it's what's for dinner!"

amt4u said:
PIGS FLY FIRST.

We created it after reading an AP article in the local small town rag about how vegetarians stay vegetarians... they did so by "eating some sausage once in a while". :p

I think we could up the offer to Wholey's... I think there'd be no problems making the drawn butter to go with it. There might be some fighting for the tail though.

Bubba would probably get stuck in Philadelphia waiting for his connection to Portland.

Remember the old saying, "You can't get they-uh from he-uh" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was thinking that too. Either that or the baggage handlers decided to take the afternoon off.

In any event, a 50 pound lobster can't possibly taste very good. The big ones never really do.

Actually just legal size lobsters are better then the bulls. The bulls are a lot tougher. Though it really has to do with improper cooking time/method.

Latest posts

Back