Seen from on window seat on approach to PHL

Can anyone enlighten me about the following landmarks that can be seen just north of PHL?

- The abandoned airfield: Name and history
- The old aircraft carrier at the Philly Navy Yard

I think its cv-66 the uss America. its been awhile sence I was in PHL I think they are getting ready to sink it in the atlantic sometime soon.
but I'm not sure its still around but if you know the number on it look at this sight it will help you:
http://www.nvr.navy.mil/quick/INDEX.HTM#uic

I think its cv-66 the uss America. its been awhile sence I was in PHL I think they are getting ready to sink it in the atlantic sometime soon.
but I'm not sure its still around but if you know the number on it look at this sight it will help you:
http://www.nvr.navy.mil/quick/INDEX.HTM#uic

The America was sunk sometime last spring or summer. It's now at the bottom of the Atlantic serving as a home for sea-life. I believe the airfield is Willow Grove and might still be an Air National Guard base. Please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, futher back in the Navy Yard is a large ship that almost looks like a Battleship, it's actualy the Heavy Cruiser Des Moines and it hasn't moved in years.

Mtnman

The little strip is at the defunct Phila Navy Yard. There are a bunch of scrapped destroyers and a carrier there.

Willow Grove NAS is about 20 miles away and well inland.

bofie,

This is undoubtedly the airport next to the Navy Yard that you're talking about, but I know nothing about it. Maybe seeing it will jog someone's memory...

Jim

View attachment 4016

The little strip is at the defunct Phila Navy Yard. There are a bunch of scrapped destroyers and a carrier there.

Willow Grove NAS is about 20 miles away and well inland.
I have nothing else to do with my life today and football doesn't start until later today but this is what I found regarding the airfield at the PHL Naval Yard.

"God I wish I had a life"

Mtnman

Aviation support has a rich history, dating back to 1917 with the establishment of the Naval Aircraft Factory at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. In order to support the expanding and complex Naval air system, ASO was founded on October 1, 1941 with 200 civilian employees and 14 officers at the Naval Aircraft Factory in the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. In December 1942, ASO was given its own home within the Naval Aviation Supply Depot. By the end of 1945, the Depot boasted 5,332 civilians, 507 officers, and 676 enlisted personnel. There are now 1,500 civilians employed at the Philadelphia site.

It was easy, I used to work there and drove my car over the main runway many times.
At a safe and prudent speed, no doubt! :D

Thanks, everyone, for the info!

The mention of driving on the old runway reminded me of Amon Carter Blvd near DFW. The street was once a runway at the old Greater Southwest Airport (GSW) in Ft Worth (which was closed when DFW was built). Altough the runway markings have long ago been replaced by standard road stripes, it still has runway look. (Or had when I was last there) Anyone know what other abandoned runways have been turned into highways or streets?

Latest posts

Back