Some true gentlemen and an epic event worth remebering.

WHO gives a SHITT !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a bit harsh don't you think?

I mean it may not be deserving of the pedistal that East want to put them on but the raid was a pretty crazy undertaking. They put several B25 liberators on a carrier, got as close to Japan as they could, launched in not very favorable conditions as I recall and made a bombing run over Tokyo. Granted the raid cause minimal damage but it should the Japanese that we could hit their home land if we really wanted too.

I always thought the idea of launching a B25 off of a carrier deck with out the aid of modern catapults was pretty insane. Cool as hell but the pucker factor must have been way up there. I am pretty sure my a$$ would have taken a bite out of the seat were I on board at the time.

sometimes I wonder if Bears is even remotely sober when he posts or if he is truly that much of a dumass.

efforts of people like that or what allows him to be the proud internet #### he is today.

I have an appreciation for those who served in the Navy during WWIII, since and grandfather I share a name, served.I never met a Doolittle Raider but I talked at length with a survivor of the USS Indianapolis a few years back at DFW airport. It was an honor.

The Worst Naval Disaster in US History

At 12:14 a.m. on July 30, 1945, the USS Indianapolis was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine in the Philippine Sea and sank in 12 minutes. Of 1,196 men on board, approximately 300 went down with the ship. The remainder, about 900 men, were left floating in shark-infested waters with no lifeboats and most with no food or water. The ship was never missed, and by the time the survivors were spotted by accident four days later only 316 men were still alive.

A scene from Jaws touches this tragedy, chilling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrvMNf-HEg

I saw a show about the making of Jaws. I had not seen Jaws since it came out in the theaters and when I saw it I was fairly young (still cannot beleive my parents let me go alone with a friend). I never paid close attention to the captains little speech.

Only when I saw the making of Jaws show a few years back did I realize that his story was about the USS Indianapolis. I like it when a fiction movie or show brings a bit of reality and history in to it. The clip in the Jaws movie caused me to read up on it. Still sends shivers up my spine thinking about what the men went through and makes me angry as hell at the incompentence of government and our military.

I saw a show about the making of Jaws. I had not seen Jaws since it came out in the theaters and when I saw it I was fairly young (still cannot beleive my parents let me go alone with a friend). I never paid close attention to the captains little speech.

Only when I saw the making of Jaws show a few years back did I realize that his story was about the USS Indianapolis. I like it when a fiction movie or show brings a bit of reality and history in to it. The clip in the Jaws movie caused me to read up on it. Still sends shivers up my spine thinking about what the men went through and makes me angry as hell at the incompentence of government and our military.

If you find yourself in Destin, FL go to Capt Dave's restaurant. Parts of the movie, Jaws II fimed there, dock scenes. The Emerald Coast is the prettiest part of the state.

Serving the are since 1968, Capt. Dave’s on the Gulf has a rich history of providing fun and food for families from all over the world. During the years our location may have changed and our family has grown, but we still proudly provide the same great service and seafood that has made us a Gulf Coast success. Please view our gallery and see some classic photos of our history including some awesome fishing experiences and filming of the movie JAWS!!!

I try to avoid FL. Grew up there and not interested in going back. Had to visit for a Bar Mitvah in Oct one years and went to D-World in Aug one year. Yech. To humid and too hot and too flat.

OK, I must admit that I do miss the beaches and the Everglades. Other than that... I'll pass.

History is repleat with men and women who sacrificed so much. It is unfortunate that it usually takes a war or tradgey to bring people together and bring out these traits.

Look at the women who went into the work force during WWII, The Red Tails, the Buffalo Soldiers and coutless others.

I mean it may not be deserving of the pedistal that East want to put them on but the raid was a pretty crazy undertaking. They put several B25 liberators on a carrier, got as close to Japan as they could, launched in not very favorable conditions as I recall and made a bombing run over Tokyo. Granted the raid cause minimal damage but it should the Japanese that we could hit their home land if we really wanted too.

I always thought the idea of launching a B25 off of a carrier deck with out the aid of modern catapults was pretty insane. Cool as hell but the pucker factor must have been way up there. I am pretty sure my a$$ would have taken a bite out of the seat were I on board at the time.

Nit picking here, but since this is an airplane oriented site.... the B-25 was called the Mitchell. The B-24 was the Liberator. B-25 is twin engine, B-24 is four engine. The Liberator was way too large to be flown off the carriers of the time.

It took big balls to go on a mission that you knew you could not make it back from. Only 2 options were to crash in japan, or manage to make it into china to crash. Neither option looked real good on paper. At least in China you had a chance at getting home.

Jaws was one of the best cast movies ever ! Every actor was perfect for their part and just goes to show you what Speilberg was capable of, in his early days, later days, not so much !
Check out a made for TV movie, with Dennis Weaver, called "DUEL". What put Speilberg on the map !

<p>
Nit picking here, but since this is an airplane oriented site.... the B-25 was called the Mitchell. The B-24 was the Liberator. B-25 is twin engine, B-24 is four engine. The Liberator was way too large to be flown off the carriers of the time.

I stand corrected. Got my 25's and 24's mixed up.

I know you'll find it hard to believe Tree, being the internet and all, but actually worked on this aircraft years ago and I can tell you, the tail-gunners had to have been small framed men, in order to get back to that area of the aircraft ! It was in immaculate condition at the time !

I took a ride in a B-17. Loud as hell and I was pretty convinced they went to Lilliput Land to find fliers. Small and cramped.

Back