Southeast Airlines Shutsdown

UseYourHead

Veteran
Apr 1, 2003
www.usaviation.com
The ultra-lowcost carrier Southeast Air (DC9's) has ceased operations as of last night citing low fares and high fuel costs....

What an industry, I feel for all who were employed and the the travel public that will be inconvienenced (sp).

UseYourHead said:
The ultra-lowcost carrier Southeast Air (DC9's) has ceased operations as of last night citing low fares and high fuel costs....

What an industry, I feel for all who were employed and the the travel public that will be inconvienenced (sp).
[post="205099"][/post]​

The politicians have their heads buried in the sand and do not even see or care about the problems in the airline industry.
What needs to happen is for all airlines to stop flying for 72 hours over Christmas.Drastic problems require drastic measures to correct.
The dumb a_ _ politicians MIGHT understand this kind of action and correct Chapter 11 bankruptcy laws.This action would also SLAP the general public into awareness of the problems in the airline business

The Federal Government,when convienent for them, would call selling a product cheaper than it cost to produce predatory pricing.The majors have been doing this for at least 3 years and this is why they are in trouble.

GoingBoeing says, "The politicians have their heads buried in the sand and do not even see or care about the problems in the airline industry."

Sir the government did get involved after 9/11 hence the establishment of the ATSB. Every airline was given the same play field; some just feel that it was worth playing ball. And others such as UniTED found out that with out a sound business plan they weren't even allowed in the game. USAIR played the game, and no they are on strike two fixing to swing out AGAIN. Do you not remember the government relief payouts that ALL the airlines received this past year?

I agree that the government should address the taxes on a ticket and the expense of new security. But WHY would you think it is their responsibility to save companies that are in trouble mostly because of their own miss management practices? It's supply and demand my friend, the old capitalist economy. To much supply and not enough demand. I believe the government knows this and they are going to stay out of the way as airlines downsize, restructure, and ultimately some will not survive. Quit whining to the government for help, it's time that the mismanaged pay the price and follow in the footsteps of past great airlines. What is happening in this industry is not the government’s problem, PERIOD!

You sir should get YOUR head out of the sand!!!!! :shock:

Lightyears, so was Deidre. Stacy's old roommate. Havnet heard much from her. My prayers go out to all airline employee's because its still going to get worst for all until it gets better.

nycbusdriver said:
Well, I suppose they can eke out an existence for 26 weeks on Pennsylvania unemployment compensation. My heart goes out to them.
[post="205116"][/post]​

They will get more than that after they file for an extention.
Not to mention the 9k the state will give them to get retrained.

mrfish3726 said:
GoingBoeing says, "The politicians have their heads buried in the sand and do not even see or care about the problems in the airline industry."

Sir the government did get involved after 9/11 hence the establishment of the ATSB. Every airline was given the same play field; some just feel that it was worth playing ball. And others such as UniTED found out that with out a sound business plan they weren't even allowed in the game. USAIR played the game, and no they are on strike two fixing to swing out AGAIN. Do you not remember the government relief payouts that ALL the airlines received this past year?

I agree that the government should address the taxes on a ticket and the expense of new security. But WHY would you think it is their responsibility to save companies that are in trouble mostly because of their own miss management practices? It's supply and demand my friend, the old capitalist economy. To much supply and not enough demand. I believe the government knows this and they are going to stay out of the way as airlines downsize, restructure, and ultimately some will not survive. Quit whining to the government for help, it's time that the mismanaged pay the price and follow in the footsteps of past great airlines. What is happening in this industry is not the government’s problem, PERIOD!

sir should get YOUR head out of the sand!!!!! :shock:
[post="205166"][/post]​

You need to quit blaming all the airlines woes on 9/11! The chapter 11 bankruptcy laws were around long before 9/11 and it is what is destroying the airline business.You,myself,or airline CEO's cannot change the chapter 11 BK laws.It would take the dumb ass politicians to do it and so far they have not been willing to do it.
Get you head out and read the article by Lou Dobbs,[a very well respected finanical analyst] on the US NEWS website or the link on other postings on this B/B.He has a much greater understanding of business than you or I will ever have and his article agrees with what I've posted on this forum for months.
CHAPTER 11 LAWS ARE KILLING THE AIRLINE BUSINESS!
[PROPPING UP THE WEAK AND DRAGGING DOWN THE STRONG]

CHAPTER 11 LAWS ARE KILLING THE AIRLINE BUSINESS!
[PROPPING UP THE WEAK AND DRAGGING DOWN THE STRONG]
[post="205185"][/post]​
[/quote]

You're probably right goingboeing, Continental should have been put out of business years ago. The whole industry would be better off today. -to quote bethoon- :)

I have to say that my heart goes out to all those who lost their jobs. Some want to argue about who to point the finger at for blame, but people are unemployed right before Christmas. This is a tradgedy. The real problem is that far more people in the industry are about to feel the same sinking feeling. Good Luck to all!

Back