Southwest snaps up Transaero B737-700s

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
http://ch-aviation.com/portal/news/41488-southwest-snaps-up-transaero-b737-700s

Southwest Airlines (WN, Dallas Love Field) has snapped up five ex-Transaero Airlines (UN, Moscow Vnukovo) B737-700s ch-aviation research has revealed. The aircraft are being leased by the Texan LCC from Dutch lessor, AerCap.

Thus far, two of the aircraft - msn 29350 and 29359 - have already arrived at
Everett while the other three - msn 29352, 29354 and 29355 - are in Shannon awaiting onward transmission to the United States.

Southwest currently operates 468 B737-700s and has been adding a lot of second-hand aircraft of the type of late.

Will they need them when the judge orders them to give half their gates at DAL to Delta?  You know, it's just a matter of time until the final ruling comes down.

Jim, WN will go BK once they have the planes.  As you mentioned, DL will win the case sue WN to accommodate more Compass Airline flights into DAL and using Delta's far superior  GDS  system force WN into submission.  

Gotta love the cornfield just waiting for "new" posters to come to proclaim DL's domination.  Curious as to how many times one can visit the cornfield.

• Banned
They have his IP address in case of that.

Looks like Transaero went tango uniform.
Filed for bankruptcy at the start of October and the Russian authorities revoked its operational license by months end.

I wonder if WN will try to get some of the 737-800 that UN had in their fleet?

Unrelated question:  considering that besides Moscow and St. Pete's Russia is a 3rd world country, how well maintained are the aircraft?  Or do the Russian operators just not have the resources to maintain Soviet-era built aircraft and the Airbuses and Boeings they operate are well maintained?

Frugal,

I spent a week in Russia a few years back.  Besides being a trip that I was standing in Red Square where I used to see tanks and missile's  roll off in parades that were aimed at us a few years earlier, I was surprised at how non Third World they were even the countryside.  Didn't travel much farther than 100 miles away from either Moscow or St. Petersburg but it was still amazing.  I took one cab ride in one of those Soviet style cars that make a Yugo look like a Porsche, but at the airports I went through it was very much clean and up to Western standards.  

From what I've read and seen, the Russians had many Western backers to maintain that standard and with Putin's determination to force himself and Mother Russia back on the World stage, I think that the sanctions have hurt their economy so bad that the same Western investors are just taking up their toys and reallocating back to the West.  I would assume that WN or any other carrier would take at least 2 looks under the hood.

Latest posts

Back