Southwest, Virgin America to buy LaGuardia slots

WorldTraveler said:
I'm talking about DAL/DFW to MCI and STL. WN was not permitted to fly from N. Texas to MCI and STL and yet now that they are there, they have almost identical share and revenue as AA has from DFW.

Yes of course, what did you think I was talking about?

WorldTraveler said:
And WN also wasn't "always" as big in STL as they are now. 

WN has always had a large presence in STL, even at the peak of the TWA hub.

WorldTraveler said:
AA bought a STL based airline and dismantled it. There are dozens of empty gates there today that are representative of the market which AA walked away from and which WN stepped in to fill.

The dismantling of the TWA hub was for many reasons discussed ad nauseam for years, most of which had very little to do with WN, and far more to do with its relative proximity to ORD and DFW.

WorldTraveler said:
 Whether we are talking about DAL/DFW to MCI and STL or STL as a city, the notion that AA has a track record of defending its network against low fare carriers is simply not there.

Wow, you truly are an airline oracle. I bet you think WN will soon dominate DAL-MDW and DAL-BWI as well? Are you willing to go out on a limb and predict that WN will operate these routes with 737s, too? Clearly I am just a FA who knows little about the biz and needs to take one of your free online airline industry seminars that you have so generously offered to teach

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
And WN also wasn't "always" as big in STL as they are now. AA bought a STL based airline and dismantled it. There are dozens of empty gates there today that are representative of the market which AA walked away from and which WN stepped in to fill.
I've posted data on WN's "huge growth" at STL before. They did increase service with the new flights to DAL, and they also added DEN, and a handful of other markets.

In total, they added 9 flights to DAL & 4 to STL, plus another ~16 flights in 9 other markets (including DL hubs).

Those are all actions they would have taken regardless of AA's presence, and hardly the huge up-tick that you seem to indicate. And, it simply brought WN up to where they were prior to 9/11...

http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/53626-is-usairways-hostile-takeover-of-aa-for-real/?view=findpost&p=927543

Perhaps you can try to back up your claim that WN stepped in to fill AA's void?

Reactions: 2 people