Steve Jobs steps down at Apple

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Is anyone else saddened that Steve Jobs has stepped down as CEO at Apple?

Apparently his battle with Cancer isn't going as well as his company and I am profoundly sad that this man is ill. He is all that's good about the United States. He is our generations Henry Ford in so many ways. Apple makes wonderful products and most of them came from his fertile imagination and vision of the future.

He didn't just look at the future, he created it! The Mac revolutionized the Printing Industry where it still is the dominate platform. He automated out a lot of jobs with the Mac but the industry took all of us strippers and cameramen and made us desktop technicians and in short order we were delivering work faster, better & cheaper than before.

Was Steve Jobs done? Nope! Next was consumer electronics and the iPod, then the iPhone and now the iPad. He's impacted how the world communicates. I do hope he regains his health and goes on to lead Apple again. The world needs more Steve Jobs and fewer Doug Parker's.

Good post up until the last sentance.
Agreed. I am shocked it did not turn into an Obama attack.

On topic:

I see Apple blending back into the cloud (pun intended) in about 6 years. Apple is Steve Jobs. I will be surprised if anyone can carry on with his vision and foresight. I hope I am wrong.

Agreed. I am shocked it did not turn into an Obama attack.

On topic:

I see Apple blending back into the cloud (pun intended) in about 6 years. Apple is Steve Jobs. I will be surprised if anyone can carry on with his vision and foresight. I hope I am wrong.

I hope you're wrong too! However we saw what happened last time he stepped away.

CEO's with true vision are hard to find as most now come from the finance side of things which was my point when mentioning Mr Parker. Sort of a tale of two CEO's. Apple flourishes while US trundles along and IMO you can trace their relative success to their CEO's.

Steve Jobs is "old School" in that he created wealth the old fashioned way! By the sweat of his brow. Apple started in a Garage while he was a summer intern at Xerox in Palo Alto, CA working at PARC.

Mr Parker and thousands of other CEO's are of the new school of MBA's and spread sheets from the Yuppie era.

Sorry I like my leaders "Old School" whether it be for POTUS or the company I work for.

Steve Jobs inspires employees to do better then they thought the could. Parker doesn't inspire he makes his people want to retire.

Never been a fan of Apple. I can appreciate the innovations of Apple and it is a bummer what Jobs is going through with cancer.

My biggest beef with Jobs and Apple is that when I buy a product it is mine. You as the seller no longer have any claim to it or any day in how I is it. Apple seems to have a hard time letting go. They had to have a law suit saying that we could jail break a phone.

I build my own desk tops. I can build a very good desk top for far less than half for price of a comparable Apple. I Can do what I want with my pc. If Apple were to give up their control over my pc and just support my computer then I might be willing to shell out some extra cash for a Apple lap top or tablet.

Hopefully Jobs is able to beat the odds and win his battle with cancer. He has changed the have of computing and it wwould be a shame to loose him this early in the game.

How U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work

When Barack Obama joined Silicon Valley’s top luminaries for dinner in California last February, each guest was asked to come with a question for the president.

But as Steven P. Jobs of Apple spoke, President Obama interrupted with an inquiry of his own: what would it take to make iPhones in the United States?

Not long ago, Apple boasted that its products were made in America. Today, few are. Almost all of the 70 million iPhones, 30 million iPads and 59 million other products Apple sold last year were manufactured overseas.

Why can’t that work come home? Mr. Obama asked.

Mr. Jobs’s reply was unambiguous. “Those jobs aren’t coming back,” he said, according to another dinner guest.

The president’s question touched upon a central conviction at Apple. It isn’t just that workers are cheaper abroad. Rather, Apple’s executives believe the vast scale of overseas factories as well as the flexibility, diligence and industrial skills of foreign workers have so outpaced their American counterparts that “Made in the U.S.A.” is no longer a viable option for most Apple products.

Link

Ouch

Link

Ouch

Apple executives say that going overseas, at this point, is their only option. One former executive described how the company relied upon a Chinese factory to revamp iPhone manufacturing just weeks before the device was due on shelves. Apple had redesigned the iPhone’s screen at the last minute, forcing an assembly line overhaul. New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight.

A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s dormitories, according to the executive. Each employee was given a biscuit and a cup of tea, guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day.

“The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,” the executive said. “There’s no American plant that can match that.”

How can we compete with a workforce living "on the property", given a biscuit and a cup of tea then work a 12 hour shift? For $17 a "DAY"!
B)

- edited by me -
When an Apple team visited, the Chinese plant’s owners were already constructing a new wing. “This is in case you give us the contract,” the manager said, according to a former Apple executive. The Chinese government had agreed to underwrite costs for numerous industries, and those subsidies had trickled down to the glass-cutting factory. It had a warehouse filled with glass samples available to Apple, free of charge. The owners made engineers available at almost no cost. They had built on-site dormitories so employees would be available 24 hours a day.

Link

Ouch

If you read what goes on at companies like Foxxconn one gets a an idea why we cannot compete with them when it comes to mass production of consumer electronic goods like ipads. Were's a hint, it has little to do with skill.

Back