STL on the front burner?

desertfox

Advanced
Sep 13, 2002
Any Airtran talk of service to STL soon? Conflicitng rumors of Airtran or Jetblue starting fairly soon.

I would think that STL would love to have both airlines. What is Airtran doing with the planes that are being pulled from the LAS-DFW service?? I was surprised to see that route pulled but there is competition from AA and HP/US and to an extent CO and WN. just my thoughts.........

Any Airtran talk of service to STL soon? Conflicitng rumors of Airtran or Jetblue starting fairly soon.
What is fairly soon? We need 2-3 months notice to get the House in order before starting service. From the FL camp, I'd say it's all rumor, although we never know what Joe or B6 has up their sleeves. Joe said recently that we were not expanding anymore this year. Someone (anon) else mentioned possibly 5 new cities in the next 18 months but was rather coy when questioned as to when. He did mention some but if I told you I'd have to kill myself and I have a Costa Rica trip planned in October. Guess you'll have to wait like the rest of us B)

I've heard STL (and others) for years. I was in a recurrent ground school a few years ago, and our Pres., Bob Fornaro came in for the usual Q and A at the end of the class. Someone asked him about expansion plans, and he said (I'm quoting him here), "We will not add any new cities this year". Two days later, we announced IND and another I can't think of at the moment (brain fart). It made me wonder who the hell's in charge here. Or maybe he figured we pilots have big mouths, would tell everyone we knew that he said that, and it would confuse the competition. One common theme I have heard lately from these guys that do the Q and A at recurrent is that the company wants a quicker return on investment than they used to. When it comes to new cities, this usually involves some sort of subsidy from the airport/city in the form of reduced landing fees, fuel taxes, rent on gates, etc. Or, it can come in the form of guaranteed revenue through various companies headquartered in the particular city. Latest rumor is that we're getting 10 more 717s from Australia. This, plus more 737s, having to wait for gates in ATL more lately, and the normal fall reduction of schedule should mean either new cities or another mini hub somewhere. With STL dominated by AA and SW, and not being able to see the city or airport of STL giving us anything to come there, I don't think we'll be going there any time soon (unless some passenger opens a bottle of H2O on the ATL to Moline flight).

I've heard STL (and others) for years. I was in a recurrent ground school a few years ago, and our Pres., Bob Fornaro came in for the usual Q and A at the end of the class. Someone asked him about expansion plans, and he said (I'm quoting him here), "We will not add any new cities this year". Two days later, we announced IND and another I can't think of at the moment (brain fart). It made me wonder who the hell's in charge here. Or maybe he figured we pilots have big mouths, would tell everyone we knew that he said that, and it would confuse the competition. One common theme I have heard lately from these guys that do the Q and A at recurrent is that the company wants a quicker return on investment than they used to. When it comes to new cities, this usually involves some sort of subsidy from the airport/city in the form of reduced landing fees, fuel taxes, rent on gates, etc. Or, it can come in the form of guaranteed revenue through various companies headquartered in the particular city. Latest rumor is that we're getting 10 more 717s from Australia. This, plus more 737s, having to wait for gates in ATL more lately, and the normal fall reduction of schedule should mean either new cities or another mini hub somewhere. With STL dominated by AA and SW, and not being able to see the city or airport of STL giving us anything to come there, I don't think we'll be going there any time soon (unless some passenger opens a bottle of H2O on the ATL to Moline flight).
Jock, I'll quiz the Boeing Rep at the ATL Hangar about those Aussie birds when I get back to the office on Monday. Last he told me (a few weeks/months ago)Bigger Brain Fart, they were going to be used by a spin off of Quantas so I'll re-ask him. As far as expansion, TPA Mx is a mess right now, MCO has no room unless we stack them in the Hangar there. BWI is about maxed out. Forget DCA & IAD. LGA is crazy, same as EWR. MKE is a mess with all of the construction. MDW is tight. HPN is a Rat cage. PIT might have some options. Maybe MSP? We can park planes at the old North Delta Hangar @ $300 a night... At least its close to ours. I say we move forward with that West Coast City I'd love to go to that Bob mentioned to us a few months back :ph34r:

I would love to see more AAI out west. I was really surprised to see LAS-DFW fall, but I think you have to run planes where they will make money right now.. You can't afford to serve a city just to say you fly there if you are losing your a$$. I would hope that PDX and SLC may get their names added to the AAI menu soon. just my thoughts......

Latest posts

Back