Stopping the Orange Plague

Busdrvr

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
In the spirit of goodwill, I figured I'd throw out a few ideas on what FRNT should do to push SWA out of DEN (or at least make staying VERY painful)

First, I'd try two differant ad campaigns that poked fun at SWA's culture.

First commercial would be the "talking tail" on FRNT's Airbus' looking up to see a poorly (crayon) colored cutout of a SWA Jet attached to a stick going by while someone makes obnoxious jet noises. One animal says "What was that?" Another says "I think it was a corndog", then of course the Bear says "mmmmm....Corndogs make me hungry.." Then the commercial closes with scrolling text that says Frontier would like to welcome SWA to Denver.....Because we're HUNGRY"

Second commercial: In the same spirit as the "Carl's Junior" $7 hamburger commercial that has the obnoxious waiters singing "Happy Happy birthday" while he's trying to eat, I'd show a man between a really fat greasy guy with an "Oakland Raiders" cap (most Denverites HATE the raiders...) and a kid who stands on the seat with his face three inches from his staring at him. Meanwhile, an equally obnoxious coed SWA flight attendant crew (actually not really SWA, just someone who looks a lot like them to avoid legal issues) sing a really stupid song and the Fat guy pulls out a six pack of PBR from a grocery bag on his lap and offers him a "Brewski", while a live chicken goes flying by in the isle. The narrator says something like "At Frontier, we prefer less "obtrusive" entertainment", then you cut to the same guy getting a drink from an attractive F/A while kicking back and watching his DirecTV.

Then I'd attack them with kindness. I'd do what Progressive does. Call us and we'll tell you what EVERYONE charges for the trip. We may be the lowest price, we may not be, but we'll tell you who is. Then you have them on the phone with YOUR sales staff. "Sir it appears SWA is offering DEN-LAX for $10 cheaper, but before you buy that ticket from them, let us point a few differances. We'll fly you DIRECT, which will save you 3 hours (or more) on the round trip. We also offer assigned seating so I can get you your seat choice if you book now, and if you book now, I'll give you a coupon for your DirecTV both ways for half price (just $5 more)" "And we at FRNT, as your hometown airline, appreciate your business and what it does for our community". This same concept could apply to the website also. Show the side by side comparison complete with "what you get" highlighting the differance. You DESTROY the low price/high quality myth at SWA.

Any thoughts?

How about offering all Southwest passengers paper bags to wear over their heads?

Oh, yeah, that didn't work. :unsure:

BUSDRV,

Whats UniTED got in store to fight this Orange Plaque as you call it? Jeff Potter has posted in many articles concerning competition with SWA "We'll match every fair on every market and can do it more effectively than UniTED will be able to." So buddy UniTED's market share will shrink even more so you should worry a lot more about that orange plague! :shock:

And BTW I spent a few days last week casing the SWA ticket counters and gates on concourse C and non seemed to even come close to being full. So the HYPE is over lets move on and see how UniTED fairs now that they have triped over that BK hurdle.

Latest posts