SUN COUNTRY TO START PROVING FLIGHT TO STN

star power

Advanced
Dec 9, 2005
FAA is going to request SY to complete proving flights to STN before the June 5, 2010 start date.

Windy said the proving flights may start in late Apr. 2010, between MSP-YQX and return YQX-MSP. this sould be easy to do because SY operates some Military airlift flights to/from US and EU.

But MIL flights are different than commerical flight. There is a different control of MIL passengers than commerical passengers. Mil passengers are under the control of the MIL OIC, who can direct orders to the troops when there is a diversion to a enroute airflield for what ever the problem is. where as commerical flight are completely different,

The flight crew has to be concern with the aircraft getting fixed or inspected and fueled and then getting all the passengers back on the aircraft, The cabin crew will have to be concern about the passengers, but the authority only goes so far, some passengers like to go sight seeing which could bring problems depending which airfield the flight diverts to. commerical or military.

Divert to Goose Bay Canada, canadian air defense force base and the canada military would be gladly to assist in the diversion, but the base security would restrict the movement of civilian passenger in a smaller controlled area, do to security reasons. If a overnight stay is required the OOD would request SY to arrange transportation and quarters for the civilian passengers off base. The base security would have to contact the local constable for immigration/custom issues.

A military charter flight, the base security may contact the OOD to allow the OIC to allow the troops to use the base facilities provide they are open for business during normal working hours, BX, clubs, transit rooms if for a long overnight stay, and provide ground tranportation on base until a replacement aircraft arrives.

Windy said the next set of proving flights would be in early MAY, 2010 MSP-YQX-STN and the return STN-YQX-MSP.

What will be interesting. maybe a practice diversion 1.5 Hrs out of YQX with a engine performance problem and YQX weather degrading to LIFR mins, (aircraft working fine and weather back at YQX clear) there's not to many diversion airflields in Greenland that can handle a B738. the only two that come to mind is UAK, has a 6000 ft runway, no problem, nice little ex-US military airfield and GOH has a 3,117 ft runway, but a little tight, takeoff performance will be a issue. Then you have RKV in Iceland about 1 to 1.5 Hrs of a heading of 040. Airforce One landed there for President Regan.

But I know SY has the professional team that can make this work.

It would be nice if the DC-10s where still in use, but they were maintenance problems and the cost was high.

Maybe some widebodies in the future, used B772, B763, A333, A332 all ETOPS ,or A346.

Staci told Windy that SY was thinking of doing MSP-BOS year round and BOS-STN in MAY to AUG in 2011, but SY might be in discussion with RW now YX about a JV agreement to feed BOS after MSP-YQX-STN-YQX-MSP seasonal flights or over.

Good Luck to SY, Staci say cherrio to Windy, little Joe, and Moonbeam. :D

in Greenland that can handle a B738. the only two that come to mind is UAK, has a 6000 ft runway, no problem, nice little ex-US military airfield and GOH has a 3,117 ft runway, but a little tight, takeoff performance will be a issue. Then you have RKV in Iceland about 1 to 1.5 Hrs of a heading of 040. Airforce One landed there for President Regan.

B

Don't forget SFJ, Greenland's primary airport.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airport/airportDetails.do?airportCode=SFJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangerlussuaq_Airport

Don't forget SFJ, Greenland's primary airport.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airport/airportDetails.do?airportCode=SFJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangerlussuaq_Airport

SFJ airport, yes I forgot. I think it has a 9600+ ft runway.

The airport If I remember was to support the Defense Early Warning system - DEW line stations in western Greenland, 2 antenna sites and a support facility. The DEW line station where used in the 50's and early 60's. one antenna site is about 60 miles west of SFJ, which is still used today but for other infomation gathering. the other site is about 80+ miles to the ENE of SFJ at the edge of the ice cap.

With SFJ about 600-700 miles NNW of UAK I think that would give the flight crew some more time to burn off another 8000-9000 LBS of fuel, to reduce the aircraft landing weight to below 153,000 pounds.

I would think a flight plan from YQX to STN with a more northern route of about 400 miles south of the Greenland southeastern coast or a more southern route about 800 miles off the southeastern coast .The fuel burn would be between 5000-10000 LBS from that point to UAK and another 8000-9000 LBS fuel burn to SFJ. or RKV would be another 1200 to 1400 miles in a NNE direction from the 400 to 800 mile point south of the southeastern coast, which would burn about 15000-17000 lbs fuel.

I would guest a takeoff weight of about 170,000 LBS and a fuel load of 42,000 LBS of fuel out of YQX-STN. When the B738 has a MTOW is 174,200 LBS and the max fuel load of 46,600 LBS.

The fuel burn from YQX to a area 600 to 1000 miles southeast of UAK, the fuel burn would be about 9000-11000 LBS of fuel from YQX.

So out of YQX the aircraft TOW 170,000 LBS - fuel burn of 10000 LBS to a area southeast of UAK off the southeastern coast - 8000 LBS of fuel to UAK = 152,000 LBS which would be around the max landing weight for the aircraft, and to SFJ another 8000-9000 LBS of fuel burn, for a landing weight of 144,000 LBS.

The only drawbacks at UAK is the 6000 ft runway, it would require a max landing weight of 152,000 LBS for the 6000 ft runway to be with in the B738 limits, similar to SNA which has a 5701 ft runway which require a 151,000 LBS landing weight to be with in B738 limits.

The flight crew may have to use the 27K bump on takeoff out of UAK. The 27K bump is the engine thrust power setting, which is only used out of SNA for the B738 or B739.

SFJ would make it a lot easier with the 9600 ft runway. But with HMU,or EGT,or compressor stall problem for a reduce thrust power setting on one engine, UAK looks ok, not great.

I know the SY professionals can handle a theoretical situation as above.

SY is currently studying a optional IFE for 2011.

Windy said, sweet Anne in marketing/sales said SY is considering using the Apple ipad for the new optional IFE for a fee. The ipad IFE detail and certification for the aircraft fleet are to be possibility completed by 4Q10.

This would be great on long haul flights. : :p I was thinking what a great advertising media that could be hotsync the day before the next flight day.

I can see a few new IT position in the future if this pans out.

Looks like SY maybe having problems with their proving flights to STN, the Iceland volcanic ash from Eyjafjallajokul is giving planning re-route problems to STN. A re-route to MAD or LIS from YQX or a return to YQX.

How is the CONCIERGE SERVICES at SY ? I guess I have to try it out is winter. That 10 inch of snow the other day sure does make a person think, but snow can be be fun also, with snowmoblie, snowboard, and ski's. To bad it not cold enough and the water not frozen enough for ice-fishing.

I would guest a takeoff weight of about 170,000 LBS and a fuel load of 42,000 LBS of fuel out of YQX-STN. When the B738 has a MTOW is 174,200 LBS and the max fuel load of 46,600 LBS.

I talk with Little Joe today and said, That SY will be starting up the London service to LGW instead of STN on May 27. I told him thats great I ask him if SY would think of servicing London thru LCY.

Little Joe told me that SY would be evaluating any interest in the DL/US slot swap at LGA and DCA. I said humm, ok. DCA I can see but LGA, now that would be tough but workable, but SY has a op at JFK so why slip resources.

I heard from Moonbeam, He ask me if I remembered Mark down US 169 way. I told him I remember two, one near MN 19 and US 169 and one down St. Peters way, He said St .Peters way, I ask whats up ? He said the young-in at in Le Sueur MN. has the helm and Stan is still running the OPS. I ask Moonbeam if he remembers one of Mark's old comments ? He said like what ? I said like - Keep Minnesota, Minnesotans-, - Family is Family Business is Business you need to work the relationships-. Moonbeam said, Yes, Yes. Mark is correct.

I was wondering if Martin was going to use some of his father's connections In Minnesota, I know Martin has a large friendship through out the state, midwest region, and country from his business. I was also wondering if Mark was going to be at the Minnesota State Fair in a week or two, doing some friendship building (meet and greet). I may be there.

I heard that Mark has/had some friends at XJ, but XJ was purchased by 9E. if Martin could work some of those friendships and work with Stan to come up with a working plan for a codeshare agreement with 9E/XJ at MSP by working the state resources and the surrounding states, since DL is reducing 9E/XJ flying capacity through their agreement.

Talked with Moonbeam, Little Joe, and Windy, they all said SY was rumor to be looking at either more charters to the old countries, or some fifth freedom right to the old countries for the spring/summer of 2012.

MSP-YQX-ORY, MSP-YQX-FRA, or BOS-SNN-OSL, BOS-SNN-ARN, BOS-SNN-CPH, JFK-SNN-TXL, JFK-SNN-HAM, JFK-SNN-DUS, they said the YQX to OSL,ARN,TXL is really pushing the range for the-800. they said it would be better with the -700 if they had winglets and were ETOPS ready.

I said we could see, if the 4Q2011 and 1Q2012 bring in good returns with the southern flying, then the TATL flying could be in the cards. SY would have to lease some more airplanes from their lease friends and maybe start a interline agreement with DY.

Little Joe said, the boss OK the early discussion with ZK Great Lakes Airlines about a possible CS with ZK. Still in works on international schedule and charters, will be finalizing international schedule by JAN 2012. Little Joe said W2011/2012 looks good, should see a expansion in S-2012 to the EU.

Windy told me that the Boss down US-169 said that the some of the Europe flights are still in the works. Windy said that the LGW flight will start 05/25/2012, with a early start of 05/04/2012, she told me that Boss said that let's see what State Department works out with the ETS on Carbon Tax in the EU. She said that the LGW flight should be load in the system in Feb or Mar. Little Joe said a crew is heading to Europe to set up a third party connection to bid on ETS credits.

Windy also said that the Boss ok talks with Bemidji Air CH on a feeder service and/or possible CS agreement 2Q2012 start time frame. She also said that talk are still in work with Great Lakes Airlines ZK on a CS agreement.

Latest posts