SW adds 19 new flights

AirplaneFan

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Getting Lucky Just Got Easier on Southwest Airlines

Wednesday May 14, 12:00 pm ET

DALLAS, May 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV - News) will add four brand new nonstop flights this fall, and to sweeten the deal, Southwest also will improve service in its existing markets by adding 15 additional daily nonstop flights to various key cities.
Southwest is showing all of our Customers how to see more places via our many nonstop flights, said Joyce Rogge, Southwest''s senior vice president marketing. Southwest is constantly looking for new ways to provide more choices and more frequency for our Customers in the 59 airports we serve.
Southwest''s brand new nonstop service will begin as follows:
Beginning September 10, 2003 Southwest will add the following new nonstop roundtrip service:
  • Between Las Vegas and Manchester, N.H.
    Between Las Vegas and Hartford, Conn.
    Between Las Vegas and Detroit (Saturday only).
Beginning October 5, 2003, Southwest will add the following new nonstop roundtrip service:
[*]Between Las Vegas and Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Southwest is introducing the new nonstop service between Las Vegas and Manchester, NH, and between Las Vegas and Hartford, Conn., with a fare of $99 each way. The fare is on sale now until Sept. 10, 2003, for travel from Sept. 10, 2003, through Oct. 24, 2003. Southwest is introducing the new nonstop service between Las Vegas and Raleigh-Durham, N.C., with a fare of $99 each way. The fare is on sale now until Oct. 5, 2003, for travel from Oct. 5, 2003, through Oct. 24, 2003. Southwest is introducing the new nonstop service between Las Vegas and Detroit with a fare of $99 each way. The fare is on sale now until Sept. 10, 2003, for travel from Sept. 13, 2003, through Oct. 24, 2003. The fares are available only on new nonstop flights and require roundtrip purchase with an overnight stay (any night). Tickets must be purchased at least 7 days before departure and within one day of making reservations.*
But wait, there''s more! Southwest Airlines is continuing to connect the dots between key cities with the addition of service in several markets.
Beginning August 10, 2003, Southwest will add the following additional daily nonstop service:

• Between Orange County and Las Vegas (for a total of three a day).
    Between Orange County and Phoenix (for a total of six a day).
    Two daily nonstop flights between Orange County and Sacramento (for a total of seven a day).
Code:
    Beginning September 10, 2003, Southwest will add the following additional
daily nonstop service:
    -- Two daily nonstop flights between Las Vegas and Reno (for a total of
       12 a day).
    -- Two daily nonstop flights between Las Vegas and Chicago Midway (for a
       total of seven a day).
    -- Between San Diego and Chicago Midway (for a total of four a day).
    -- Between San Diego and Sacramento (for a total of 13 a day).
    -- Between Las Vegas and Tucson (for at total of four a day).
    -- Between Islip/Long Island and Nashville (for a total of three a day).
    Beginning October 5, 2003, Southwest will add the following additional
daily nonstop service:
    -- Between Baltimore/Washington and Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (for a total of
       six a day).
    -- Between Baltimore/Washington and Manchester, NH (for a total of 11 a
       day).
    -- Between Baltimore/Washington and San Diego (for a total of two a day).

----------------
On 5/14/2003 10:27:45 PM AirplaneFan wrote:

Beginning September 10, 2003 Southwest will add the following new nonstop roundtrip service:
Between Las Vegas and Detroit (Saturday only). ----------------​

Wow! Someone at the LUV shack in Dallas has been reading my posts!
(See under "Southwest Cities", 5/5/03)
I feel so...omnipotent!

I feel that SWA could offer non-stop service to most of the cities in their system from LAS. The exceptions being JAN, CRP, HRL. ISP could be done if there was a longer runway there. Why no CLE, DTW, MCO, FLL, GEG, and PVD daily service to LAS on SWA?

----------------
On 5/15/2003 9:40:50 AM KALB2 wrote:

WHAT! No ALB-MDW and return? C''mon, it''s time to expand ALB operations.

----------------​

Albany isn''t exactly a megalopolis or a tourist attraction like Las Vegas.

Or maybe Southwest is still keeping their plans secret for the ALB mega-hub, surpassing ATL and ORD operations combined.

----------------
On 5/15/2003 4:23:59 AM coolflyingfool wrote:

I feel that SWA could offer non-stop service to most of the cities in their system from LAS. The exceptions being JAN, CRP, HRL. ISP could be done if there was a longer runway there. Why no CLE, DTW, MCO, FLL, GEG, and PVD daily service to LAS on SWA?

----------------​

I believe MHT has a new runway coming online soon. This accounts for the new LAS - MHT service. I do not think the runway is long enough in PVD to reach LAS nonstop. This has been a big issue in Rhode Island. Most people would like to see the runways expanded, to reach the west coast nonstop, but the locals are very much against it. WN already offers 2 daily PHX - PVD nonstops, so I have no doubt that if they could they would add LAS - PVD nonstop. With the runway situtaion, I think you will see MHT expand more to the west. PVD will continue to get new one stop flights like the new PVD - BWI - SAN.

----------------

----------------​

Who the heck leaves Las Vegas on a Saturday?

----------------
On 5/15/2003 11:17:55 AM JS wrote:

----------------

----------------​

Who the heck leaves Las Vegas on a Saturday?

----------------​

Hey, it''s a start--a number of WN''s LAS ''spokes'' have started off with Sat only flights and have later graduated to daily service. Currently, OKC is the only such case.
They also recently (April) started Sat only nonstops from RNO to BUR and SAN. Assuming they do well, those will probably go to daily as well.

JS responded to my first post,"Albany isn''t exactly a megalopolis or a tourist attraction like Las Vegas".

You are right,but that''s not my point. ALB already has daily non-stop service to LAS, which is very well utilized. I think ALB is ripe for non-stop service to MDW, especially since AA mainline withdrew ALB-ORD and turned it over to American Eagle. MDW would be a great gateway to continuing service to other midwest destinations WN serves.

Those Saturday flights (like DTW-LAS and SAN-RNO) happen mostly for utilization. Most of the more heavily business-oriented WN routes (like HOU-DAL or LAX-OAK) see significant cuts on Saturdays, so you might as well use the airplanes to sell vacation packages (like a week in Vegas) or just fly leisure passengers instead of leaving 'em parked.

PVD-LAS is only 86 nm farther than PVD-PHX -- is the PVD-PHX flight that close to the operational limits for PVD's runway?

----------------
On 5/16/2003 4:41:09 PM sfb wrote:

PVD-LAS is only 86 nm farther than PVD-PHX -- is the PVD-PHX flight that close to the operational limits for PVD''s runway?

----------------​

I am not exactly sure, but I have been told it is due to the runway length. Makes sense to me, if you look at city pair numbers. PVD - LAS makes perfect sense, but no WN service. Also PHX - PVD was the longest nonstop flight operated by WN until BWI - LAX started.

----------------
On 5/18/2003 10:33:38 PM WNrforlife wrote:

I am so proud to be working for this airline. Sometimes, I am so proud, I want to sing my favorite song. Here it is, in case all of you other Southwest employees haven''t heard it. It''s called "The Spirit of Southwest"
----------------​

Hey, you didn''t give us the musical score in case we want to play it on our Casio keyboards at home...

Seriously, though, is it a ''real'' tune or is it sung to the tune of some other ditty?

We are going to keep connecting the dots and adding cities until we are the biggest domestic U.S. airline. The big three don''t stand a chance against us.

I am so proud to be working for this airline. Sometimes, I am so proud, I want to sing my favorite song. Here it is, in case all of you other Southwest employees haven''t heard it. It''s called "The Spirit of Southwest"

I look down upon the mountains high
Across the rolling plains I’ve learned to fly
I’ll take you with me across the skies
Bring you together – watch you say goodbye
Take a look at life from my silver wings,
There’s so much out there you can see
I am here to help you live your dreams,
Let Southwest set you free

CHORUS:

I give America the Freedom to Fly
Every day I do my best
I am The Spirit of Southwest

I will take you from sea to shining sea
I am here for your friends and family
For new arrivals – both large and small
I am here for you – when duty calls

Take these wings – I’ll show you how to fly
Through my eyes you will see
In my arms I’ve held a million dreams

I’m proud to be among the best

I am here if you need to get away
For all the games I know you love to play
I’ll be beside you with the changing of the seasons,
I am here for oh-so-many reasons

Listen close – your heart will let you know
There’s so much out there you can see
Take these wings – they’ll fly you to your dreams

Hey WNrforlife:

Lay off the Koolaid before you do any more damage to what's left of your limited faculties! (It's a freakin' advertising jingle fer Chrissake, not "America the Beautiful!" It was written by some cynical weasel at GSD&M who doesn't mean or believe a word of it!) And no, I'm not jealous: I am a 20 year Southwest employee!