SWA now getting involved with slot (s) possibilities

eolesen said:
Yes, they did.

They want to try and influence the process knowing that the deck has already been stacked against them.

They want to be able to play martyr when the slots go to someone else, and will likely wage a war in the press over how they're being discriminated against.

It's not like we've ever seen this before... AA did pretty much all the same stuff at LGB. And it didn't work there, either.
Exactly E. As soon as Delta started their crying campaign in the media I answered one of WT's post that Delta was claiming to add or boost their schedules to manipulate the DOJ to allow them to participate in the bidding. And yes we will here after all this is said and done just how bad Delta was treated or pushed to the side. It is what it is Delta, and to this day there is no other airline whining and crying about the "qualifications" required in order to win a bid, period...

700,  good example.  I too would be surprised if Volaris or West Jet stepped in and very quietly submitted their bids, just like Virgin did for the NY slots.  I think everyone was set to see JB and SWA fight it out.

But wait:  I believe that on numerous occasions you have stated that in D-FW metroplex the DL is the 2nd largest carrier*^ (local O/D).  Therefore, by your own definition, DL is hardly at a disadvantage, and there should be no reason to give it access to more scarce resources.  :lol: :lol:
* depending on whether this definition fits the theory you're trying to prove
^ definition may updated to fit the theory you're trying to prove

Fact is that until now, only DL and WN have publically expressed interest in the 2 DAL gates. 
You don't know if any other airline has also expressed interest in acquiring them.
And your guess at this point as to which carrier will be awarded the gates is almost as good as mine.

NOPE>

I never said DL was the 2nd largest in the metroplex.... I said DL was the 2nd largest at DFW.

The AA and WN fanclubs want desperately to be able to each monopolize one airport each in N. Texas.

Not going to happen.

700,  good example.  I too would be surprised if Volaris or West Jet stepped in and very quietly submitted their bids, just like Virgin did for the NY slots.  I think everyone was set to see JB and SWA fight it out.
you mean you are praying like all get out that someone else will step in a bid so DL will be pushed out....

keep dreaming, though.

You have competition for the gates you thought all along were yours... isn't it a pain when you don't get your way.

swamt said:

Maybe if WN wanted to codeshare with Westjet like they were supposed to, then it would make more sense for Westjet to bid.

WorldTraveler said:

NOPE>

I never said DL was the 2nd largest in the metroplex.... I said DL was the 2nd largest at DFW.

The AA and WN fanclubs want desperately to be able to each monopolize one airport each in N. Texas.

Not going to happen.

I guess it must have been the AA forum where you claimed that DAL and DFW was 1 market ... ... ... :lol: I must have misread your fine print.
As far as WN and AA monopolizing N. Texas, some would say fait accompli ;)

I guess it must have been the AA forum where you claimed that DAL and DFW was 1 market ... ... ... :lol: I must have misread your fine print.
As far as WN and AA monopolizing N. Texas, some would say fait accompli ;)
actually it was others who repeatedly tried to call DAL and DFW one market. I argued that they are more different than any two airports in the same metro area precisely because of the WA which creates boxes in which both carriers must stay although in reality it is WN that got put in a box.

DL has beat AA and WN at their own game in N. Texas as much as it hurts and whether you ever admit it or not.

Apparently then ORD and MDW just like DAL and DFW are also w different markets with the exception of the WA. On the other hand delta handled wn and aa sooo gooood that they dumped the dfw hub

DL dumped the DFW HUB.. they did not dump the N. Texas market.

DL absolutely is committed to being a player in the N. Texas market. This ongoing desire to keep DL out of DAL at least by people on this forum is not about DL rebuilding a hub... it is about the recognition that DL's presence in the N. Texas local market is stronger than it was when DL had a hub there. DL is expanding to DAL because it is building on its success at DFW where it is the dominant carrier to ATL, DTW, and MSP and has a 25% share of the LGA market. Not bad for a schedule that is flown by a mix of large RJs at best to all of those cities except for ATL which DL has served from Dallas from DL's beginnings.

that's why I said "mix" and technically there is an occasional large RJ in DFW-ATL... usually part of the Monday a.m. schedule when demand inbound to DFW is particularly strong. Not surprisingly, DL's strongest point of sale in DFW markets is on the other end of the routes while AA dominates on the DFW end.

The reason for DL's intent to fly from DAL to its hubs is to make sure it doesn't lose its advantage from its hubs or allow WN to gain a larger presence in those hubs.

SLC also has a mix of ML and large RJs.

BTW, DL has made significant progress in increasing its share of the local DTW-DFW market over the past year.
MSP has rarely had ML equipment. LGA has never had it so far as I know.

DL's initial schedules for DAL are ML to ATL, CR9s to DTW and MSP, and E175s to LGA and LAX.

WorldTraveler said:
DL has beat AA and WN at their own game in N. Texas as much as it hurts and whether you ever admit it or not.
Hardly.  DL is doing OK in the N. Texas market, and there is nothing wrong with that.  Beating WN and AA at their own game in TX - again one would have to have a willing suspension of disbelief to buy what you're selling.

DOT stats are what they are. DL has a higher average fare in the DFW local market than every other airline except for UA.. .and that includes AA's int'l markets.

DL is beating AA and WN because AA has tried to beat WN to pieces with the WA, WN has retrenched to DAL, and DL will be the #3 airline in the Metroplex but the only one competing to the top domestic markets from both airports. You can call it what you want but DL is gaining an advantage which is why the AA and WN forces here - whose ideas align perfectly with AA and WN themselves - are so desperate to try to argue why DL should not gain that advantage.

ok... I said that because LGA and MSP are almost entirely large RJs.... hardly any mix.

hopefully it should be apparent that it doesn't take 737s to gain a dominant position in specific business markets even from a city as big as Dallas.

That is why the large RJs will do what DL needs without requiring a lot of connections on either end. LGA and LAX will likely be 80+% local... ATL, DTW, and MSP will take connections but DL does that from DFW now and still uses a mix of large RJs.

WorldTraveler said:
You can call it what you want but DL is gaining an advantage which is why the AA and WN forces here - whose ideas align perfectly with AA and WN themselves - are so desperate to try to argue why DL should not gain that advantage.
No, I think it's a mix of people thinking logically that DL can't use an argument against WN at one airport, while trying to do the same as WN at another airport; and people who just want to irk you. You seem to think that everyone else here is sooo drunk on the kool aid of their respective airlines, the same way you are with your ex-employer. It's just not the case - the same way no one can win against DL, no one can love their airline as much as you love DL. And don't worry, I'm sure it's reciprocal, I'm sure their Xmas card to you is in the mail...

Back