Swinging into summer

john john

Veteran
Contributor
Sep 12, 2004
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/14679066.htm

Flights by all airlines serving Philadelphia took off on time 79 percent of the time in March, compared with 72 percent in all of last year.
US Airways took 60 airplanes out of its fleet of large and midsize jets, and transferred hundreds of flights to its Express commuter division after it was acquired by America West Airlines and emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last fall. The reductions in flights by US Airways, the biggest carrier at Philadelphia, with almost two-thirds of the passengers and flights, probably contributed to an improvement in March of the airport's on-time-departure performance, Aviation Director Charles J. Isdell said this month.

What is US stats in PHL mainline vs EXpress
OT,#dept,last year vs this year

With 2/3 of US being express and the high load factor and the unreliable express operations the recover rate to rebook passengers will be very difficult this summer. A lot of stress out people

There is something kinda interesting in both the Customer Commitment and Contract of Carriage in that in the event of cancellation, severe delays cuasing misconects it only says what the DON'T compensate for. So based on my understanding that means events like crew shortages, delay due to prior inbound delay, neither of which are excepted on the contract of carriage require compensation. So it will indeed be an interesting summer as I intend to be very shall we say "Rule Oriented"

Those are good points. They reflect on why planes will often leave passengers behind that are missing their connections because of a late inbound flight. If the outbound plane has near-minimum ground time for it's next leg or two, the flights need to get out or else there is an increasingly nasty ripple effect that occurs throughout the system.

The same can occur even on the last flights out if the crew going to the hotel is on a minimum rest before their flights the next day. If that crew is late to their rest, the first flight the next day will automaticlly be delayed because of crew rest issues. This is a nasty delay because customers may say "Hey, the plane is sitting here, the weather is great, what the hell are we waiting for?" Well, the crew was very late getting in and they need their FAA (or contractually) mandated rest. So, now the passengers are upset and the crew coming on duty are tired and stressed.

Also, discussing cabin crews, keep in mind that eight hours of FAA mandated minimum rest starts 15 minutes after the last flight chocks in and continues until report time for the next flight (usually 45 minutes before push time). That does not equate to more then five hours of actual sleep. The crew usually is only showing up at the hotel an hour after block-in, they usually need something to eat or take time to eat stuff in their bags and then need to be awake an hour or more before the van leaves for the airport. Personally, I was never able to get into a room and fall right asleep. I needed some downtime to relax enough for sleep, so I would have been guaranteed to have had less then five hours of sleep. As much as I tried not to let it effect my next flights, the fatigue would take its toll.

Don't forget about the last minute fliers who cannot book flighte because they are sold out. And this is less than the 24 hour time limit for the CP desk to help.

It is going to be a long summer for many FFs because of the cut backs in service, and lack of options. ANd that is on a normal day of operation.

You're correct in all of your points. HOWEVER as a customer all of that is NOT my concern. I paid a premium price and I frankly don't care what the reasons are, I want results.

Uhh my mom always said "S___ in one hand...and want in the other...see what you get first!"

Hmm..WONDERING if this board will be for EMPLOYEES ONLY?
I just emailed the mod.

This should be..

INTERNAL
AFFAIRS
ONLY.

I guess it's a personal preference thing. I like seeing the varied viewpoints that a wider 'audience' provides. Plus I've had the opportunity to meet some nice people that wouldn't have presented itself if this was an 'employee only' forum.

Jim

You're correct in all of your points. HOWEVER as a customer all of that is NOT my concern. I paid a premium price and I frankly don't care what the reasons are, I want results.

Bob, I am not looking for a fight on this topic, but what results are you looking for? Can you explain? Sometimes crap happens. Airlines don't generally have too many spares available because they have realized that planes don't generate revenue on the ground. That is why they are trying to be more like the fault prediction unit on HAL. :rolleyes:

Of course you are entitled to any relief available under the Contract of Carriage and the applicable Customer policy. But what other results are you looking for?

I just emailed the mod.

This should be..

INTERNAL
AFFAIRS
ONLY.

Huh?

Thanks, not awesome, just not a doormat! If more people would stop being doormats the US would be a better place.

Sky High states: I'm wondering if you even flew in the eighties or nineties, Bob. LOL, ever watch the show---Airline? Passengers are never shy about wanting, demanding compensation for the slightest mishap.
Late flight? I demand an upgrade! Food voucher! Phone voucher! Hotel voucher! During the eighties, I dont think their was a business more generous then the airlines. Stuck in the snow storm?....Ohhh, let US put you up for the night. 2 Hour delay?, Ohhh, let US feed you. Passengers caught wind of this generosity and TOOK ADVANTAGE OF IT. Many people dont view the airlines, as a BUSINESS.
Yet, when I'm sitting at my Dentist office and he's running behind. I dont think of compensation nor would he give it to me. I MISS a concert due to illness. I'm screwed on the price of the ticket. It's worthless. NOT your airline ticket though!
Weather delay at the baseball game? Why dont THEY feed me?
When people comment on the fact that most carriers do NOT serve hot (trays) meals in coach anymore. The general response has been, "Do you want a MEAL or a cheap ticket?"

Sky High states: I'm wondering if you even flew in the eighties or nineties, Bob. LOL, ever watch the show---Airline? Passengers are never shy about wanting, demanding compensation for the slightest mishap.
Late flight? I demand an upgrade! Food voucher! Phone voucher! Hotel voucher! During the eighties, I dont think their was a business more generous then the airlines. Stuck in the snow storm?....Ohhh, let US put you up for the night. 2 Hour delay?, Ohhh, let US feed you. Passengers caught wind of this generosity and TOOK ADVANTAGE OF IT. Many people dont view the airlines, as a BUSINESS.
Yet, when I'm sitting at my Dentist office and he's running behind. I dont think of compensation nor would he give it to me. I MISS a concert due to illness. I'm screwed on the price of the ticket. It's worthless. NOT your airline ticket though!
When people comment on the fact that most carriers do NOT serve hot (trays) meals in coach anymore. The general response has been, "Do you want a MEAL or a cheap ticket?"
Very well said!!!

I just emailed the mod.

This should be..

INTERNAL
AFFAIRS
ONLY.
As a frequent US Airways traveler (though I'll find myself on United metal more often than not this next month...) I would hope not.

Boards like this allow me to be an informed traveler, which means a lot less frustration for me - and also means that I have a better understanding of the amazing limitations and frustrations that you all deal with on a daily basis!

When employees and self-loading freight talk to each other, everyone wins. That's why I think this board provides a great service. :)

Many people dont view the airlines, as a BUSINESS.
You're right - many of us don't view airlines as a business, because a real one would take care of its customers and not make it difficult for them to use the product.

Your comparison of airline travel to a dentist office visit, concert ticket and baseball game is apples and oranges.

As a frequent US Airways traveler (though I'll find myself on United metal more often than not this next month...) I would hope not.

Boards like this allow me to be an informed traveler, which means a lot less frustration for me - and also means that I have a better understanding of the amazing limitations and frustrations that you all deal with on a daily basis!

When employees and self-loading freight talk to each other, everyone wins. That's why I think this board provides a great service. :)
A little information is dangerous. :ph34r:

Back