Tempe Going CHEAP on the A330-200's

USAPA should send Tempe these articles from the archives of the WSJ, some stories about the aftermath and a page proof for a full page ad about crew rest in the USA Today.

Don't even send a cover letter.

IIRC, DL wanted badly to fire him, but the story made the Wall Street Journal among other media outlets, and DL management was not only embarrassed into not firing the captain, but embarrassed into restoring adequate crew rest facilities on their aircraft, as well.
I honestly don't think anyone or anything could embarrass Tempe... They would just send some low paid marketing moron to the wolves with a stupidly written statement and nobody would take it seriously.

US is keeping pace with (though not doing anything to exceed it) the seating arrangements of 99% of the competition.

CO - 31" in coach on their 777 and 757 models. 32" on their 767 variants.
UA - 31" in standard economy on all their long haul aircraft (747/767/777)
DL - 31" throughout economy on long haul aircraft (767, 777)
AA - 31" throughout economy on 777, and a horrendous 30" in the 767-300!!!

So then I checked some international carriers for comparison:
LH - 31-32" on the 747 and A3xx
VS - 32" throughout the long haul fleet (and 38" in premium econ!!)
BA - 31" throughout..38" in premium econ
QF - 31" throughout...38" in premium econ - even on the new A380)

So, I don't see US doing anything less than the competition as far as coach goes. It'd be nice if they would have gone with a small section of premium economy. But that'd be reaching way too high.

As for the crew rest, it sux but there are other airlines with long trips like this one that don't have an F/A rest area. The company is right - these trips will be bid no matter what the sleeping conditions are. Especially since there is about a 30+ hour stopover before working the return trip.

Is it really just 30'' on the AA767-300's? Seat guru says says that its 32''. Whatever it is, it's really really tight on longer flights. I'm glad I can book the exit rows.

Is it really just 30'' on the AA767-300's? Seat guru says says that its 32''. Whatever it is, it's really really tight on longer flights. I'm glad I can book the exit rows.
You sure about that?
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_...g_767-300_B.php

I wonder if they had to scrunch the coach rows together when they put in the "next generation business class" lie-flat seats because there are still 30 J seats up front with more pitch than the former set of 30 J seats.

On longer flights, row 17 is used for crew rest, which are coach seats with extra recline and footrests. They are also a single row sandwiched between the galley and a bulkhead, so they offer just a modicum of privacy.

USAPA should send Tempe these articles from the archives of the WSJ, some stories about the aftermath and a page proof for a full page ad about crew rest in the USA Today.

Don't even send a cover letter.
Tempe could care less what the flying public thinks about them. Any bad news would not make them change. Actually I think they would go further. I'm actually surprised they have not replaced the crew rest areas with sleeping bags you could use on the wet galley floors.

Look at the complaints US receives each month. They rationalize the complaints away on their new pricing strategy however let's be clear US is not interested in running a good airline. Southwest is low cost and it doesn't tick customers off at the rate US does.

Seatguru's numbers are almost completely unreliable. For instance, it still lists the AA 762s at the MRTC pitch of 33-34 inches. AA's 763s feature 32 inches in the main cabin, not 30 inches.

I wonder if they had to scrunch the coach rows together when they put in the "next generation business class" lie-flat seats because there are still 30 J seats up front with more pitch than the former set of 30 J seats.

Incorrect. The old biz seats featured 58-60 inches of pitch, just like the new biz seats. The new seats occupy exactly the same space as the old seats.

Additionally, the AA 777s feature 32 inches of pitch in the main cabin (rows 31 on back) and slightly more (about 33 inches) in the forward coach cabin (rows 20-27). Dunno why seatguru persists in posting inaccurate info.

Look at the complaints US receives each month. They rationalize the complaints away on their new pricing strategy however let's be clear US is not interested in running a good airline. Southwest is low cost and it doesn't tick customers off at the rate US does.

US has high operating costs, and in order to keep the lights on they have to find the revenue somewhere. So they charge outrageous fares on routes where they believe they can get away with it - primarily the East routes. The West routes seem to be priced competitively, and I'm not sure that's entirely due to the Southwest Effect.

If they insist upon pricing their product so far above fair market value they need to invest in it. I don't mean window dressings: I mean investment. Real multi-course meals on transcons. Real meals on short- to medium-haul flights. Real glassware. A real IT infrastructure that is customer-friendly. Maybe if they could accomplish these things the paying F customers may not notice the lack of legroom and closets.

In fact, if they really want to stand apart from the crowd, they should insteall an E+ section in their transatlantic aircraft.

Oh, and it goes without saying that non-alcoholic beverages should be free for elites and certain Y fare classes. They can charge $2 the folks on the el cheapo fares -- they bought on price alone, and there is no loyalty there. But don't stick glass shards into the eyes of the people who are really paying the bills.

Plea to Tempe: Please start thinking like both groups of customers, not just the group that is looking for the cheapest ticket. You may have a lock on the "cheapest ticket" group on many of your routes, but you have lost the attention of the "best value" group......and we have the means and the expense accounts to keep traveling during economic downturns.

Plea to Tempe: Please start thinking like both groups of customers, not just the group that is looking for the cheapest ticket. You may have a lock on the "cheapest ticket" group on many of your routes, but you have lost the attention of the "best value" group......and we have the means and the expense accounts to keep traveling during economic downturns.

It's like Continental's quote
"To be the best Airline, you must have the Best Customers"

It's like Continental's quote
"To be the best Airline, you must have the Best Customers"
Here you go... Unlike the US quote, To be the best airline, you must extract as much revenue from each deadbeat before they leave...

IMG_0052.JPG

Here you go... Unlike the US quote, To be the best airline, you must extract as much revenue from each deadbeat before they leave...

View attachment 8134

Airlines like Continental and Northwest put on annual events dedicated to their elites and loyalty programmes...this in turn build up loyalty and ridership...US doesnt do this so big surprise...

They provide tours...forum workshops...listen to elites and treat us like real people with a vision...and listen to elites with good ideas.

Your catchphrase is misguided. For USAirways it should read: "To be the most profitable airline, you must extract as much revenue from each deadbeat before they leave."

USAirways cares not one whit about being the best airline. It's about the money, and only the money. It's a shortsighted approach and works for a little while...at least long enough for the upper echelons to line their pockets and leave behind a useless mess for someone else to clean up.

I am very late to this thread which turned somehow into an East/West thing. I will only comment on the topic of the original post. Someone commented that Ed Bueler said the A330-200 was not designed for dedicated crew bunks. They also called BS rightly so. Please direct this person to Airbus Industries Website where Airbus brags about the fact that they are pioneers in this matter. Here is a direct quote under the A330-A340 options. "The company is a pioneer in utilizing lower deck space for options such as sleeper cabins, passenger or crew rest areas and lavatories." It does not exclude the A330-200 or 300 for that matter! I believe that crew members must make noise and be heard on this issue. start an e-mail campaign to not only your union reps but your company management team. You must not relent on such an important issue. It should include a joint coordinated strategy with all crew members both pilots and flight attendants.

I could go on, but I think 14 pages speaks volumes!!! I hate to see crew members not have some personal space. By the way, Airbus suggests two layouts for the A330-200. A three class configuration and a two class configuration. Those both have 32" pitch.

Oh, and Airbus has a picture of the A330/A340 sleepers

Tempe has decided that coach seats on the A330-200 will have 31" of seat pitch(and not one inch more) and no seperate crew bunks(supposedly the AFA is fighting this).

What does this say about Tempe's feeling towards passengers and crew alike?

This aircraft will be used regularly on flights of 12-14hours and is planned to be used for China service in the future.

Passenger comfort and giving employees the "proper tools" to do our jobs does not seem to be a concern to them whatsoever.

(in my opinion)

If someone can refute this(and give specific examples), please do.

And this is not an East/West issue--it's an attitude that is affecting both passengers and employees across the company......

Back