The Very Best Flight Attendants In Our Industry

SCEflyer said:
As a leisure, but astute traveler, I can report that AA flight attendants perform their jobs well, try to accommodate PAX needs and are a strength of AA.
I'll second that. As a very frequent AA flyer (probably come close to 200k paid miles this year, mainly Int'l), my positive experiences outweigh the negatives.

But commit any of the 11 numbered sins listed in the letter on MY flights and you'll think I'm the ghostrider from hell. My letters to AA management list names and are accompanied, where appropriate, by a multimedia presentation, including sound clips of surly attitudes toward me and others around me as well as digital photos documenting my allegations.

On the other hand, behave professionally, treat me with curtesy and respect (and return my thank-yous in a sincere manner) and I write letters showering you with praise.

It's your call. What's it gonna be?

FWAAA said:
On the other hand, behave professionally, treat me with curtesy and respect (and return my thank-yous in a sincere manner) and I write letters showering you with praise.

How about multimedia presentations, including sound clips of friendly attitudes toward you and others around you as well as digital photos documenting your praise?

It seems as if management is more impressed with the complaints than with the commendations.

How do you know I don't??

Oops; I know: expressio unius est exclusio alterius. B)

I sincerely doubt that anyone (management or FA union leader) would deny that normal, polite behavior actually took place, so I don't bother to record that which is expected.

Sorta like why the six o'clock news only shows me the bad things that happened today, and ignored all the banks that weren't robbed, the pedestrians who were not struck by cars, and all the women who weren't violently attacked.

Allegations of unacceptable behavior by FAs, on the other hand, might be met with blanket denials (like by the base chairs in the letters you quoted), increasing the usefulness of additional evidence of the unacceptable behavior.

More than once when giving SOSs (while that program existed) to FAs I was asked by traveling companions (and even strangers) why I was complimenting the FAs when they "were merely doing their jobs the way they were supposed to." :eek:

Apparently they hadn't noticed the distinction between just doing the job and going above and beyond. As a frequent flyer for many years, I can tell the difference.

FWAAA said:
Apparently they hadn't noticed the distinction between just doing the job and going above and beyond. As a frequent flyer for many years, I can tell the difference.
Ditto that. However, I simply gave up on letter writing regarding the good stuff because I am all but convinced that AMR just doesn't want to hear it, they only want to hear the bad stuff.

I used to recognize "above and beyond" and yes, you still see it today. However, if you write to the company to tell them about an exceptional employee, chances are far greater than not that the employee will never be informed of the praise, and the letters of accolade from a frequent customer will never find their way into the employee's personnel file - where they belong.

However, write a letter of admonishment and you can bet that employee will be called on the carpet in short order. AMR loves to keep labor down and anything that will pick them up again will never reach their ears. This airline will never do anything that will cause them to have to recognize that successes are due to labor and not some armani wearing suit jockey sitting behind a desk comtemplating his navel and dreaming about tomorrow's golf score.

Of course, none of this addresses the issue of the madness AMR is stuck in which I politely refer to as Micro-Management Hell. It shows when traveling from station to station because there is ZERO consistency in the way the company runs it's airport operations.

But that's another direction for blame best saved for another time.

I can see the company's point on one issue. Yes, the FA's have taken large pay-cuts and no one can blame them for not being happy about it. But in this economy, a lot of people in a lot of industries have taken pay-cuts. If individual FA's are unhappy or need to vent, there are appropriate forums for doing that, and a crowded cabin with dozens of paying customers in earshod is not one of those forums. To air AMR/AA's dirty laundry in front of customers shows poor professionalism on the part of those FA's.

However, I'm with the FA's on every other point. If customers have a bad experience with a FA, they should write a letter to AA including the specific date, flight number, and city pair, as well as details of what happened. Then, the company can deal with those individual FA's in private, instead of branding all FA's with that tactless letter. I also agree that it's ridiculous to be "afraid" of a FA. I fly a great deal, so I've seen some pretty surly ones on occasion, but I won't go so far as to say that I've ever been afraid of one.

It's unfortunate that AA management felt the need to call out all of its FA's with this letter. Sure, there are probably some bad apples in the ranks, but the vast majority of FA's do the right thing and are hard-working, helpful, and polite - the majority of the time (no one's perfect, and everyone has a bad day now and then). Whoever wrote that letter should be fired.

FWAAA said:
I'll second that. As a very frequent AA flyer (probably come close to 200k paid miles this year, mainly Int'l), my positive experiences outweigh the negatives.

But commit any of the 11 numbered sins listed in the letter on MY flights and you'll think I'm the ghostrider from hell. My letters to AA management list names and are accompanied, where appropriate, by a multimedia presentation, including sound clips of surly attitudes toward me and others around me as well as digital photos documenting my allegations.

I am really bothered by someone like you. Digital photos, sound bits??? Without
someone's permission???
I believe that would be illegal in some circles, I would wonder whomever else
you were snooping on and where..... :wacko: very weird

While one might legitimately question the ethical considerations of such recording, the public nature of the activities would, I believe, preclude one from filing a violation of privacy claim against the recording party. In other words, it would be illegal to record what someone is doing in the privacy of their own home, but not what the same person is doing in, say, a public restaurant.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but after 9-11 pax's aren't allowed to use cameras or videos on board.....n'est-ce pas?

WingNaPrayer said:
I used to recognize "above and beyond" and yes, you still see it today. However, if you write to the company to tell them about an exceptional employee, chances are far greater than not that the employee will never be informed of the praise, and the letters of accolade from a frequent customer will never find their way into the employee's personnel file - where they belong.
To be fair, this is not exactly true. Well, not in my case. During the 2 years, 10 months that I flew before being furloughed, the company received 5 (that I know of) letters of commendation from passengers regarding the service I had given them. I was given a copy of each and copies were placed in my personnel file by my Flight Service Manager.

In the 15 or so months between the time I started flying and the termination of the SOS program, I collected over 50 cards from passengers. When I had 5 or 6 together, I would make a photocopy of them and give it to my Flight Service Manager. My FSM put these in my file as well. She also would give those of us who got SOS cards little rewards like $10 gift certificates to Chili's. However, I suspect that she was paying for those out of her own pocket.

DFWCC said:
SOLUTION:
I think it was Bethune from CO who said several years back "TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES AND THEY'LL TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS" 'nuff said.
I do believe that Herb Kelleher has used this as his mantra! I am a 14 year WN(SWA) F/A, and I don't believe that Jim Parker has quite caught on! As far as Parker has been acting...nuff said!!!

OOPS! I have a bit more to say.
For any who may care...Jim Parker was heard to make a comment, "What is up with the the Flight attendants, they are either old and sick, or young and pregnant"!
Is this proper for the CEO/Lead negotiator? He has since claimed that he never said this. Our entire union N/T attests to that he did indeed say this! The Company N/T heard it as well! Our V.P. of Inflight has denied this statement even though she was seated next to him at the time! I understand that SHE has no choice. This statement was quoted in "Aviation Week & Technology". Parker has since posted a letter to the Editor claiming that this is a falsehood. Ten people, on both sides of the table heard him say this!! Now he claims that this never happened! This remindes me of "I never had sexual relations with this woman" and "I didn't inhale" stories that have led to the truth coming out. Jim Parker is a liar! He claims that he never used these words, yet more than 8 people heard him say it!
I'm a guy, and am exremely offended!!! :shock: :down:

AA management fixes problems by assigning more managers and supervisors to the affected work area.We at TUL have supervisors supervising more supervisors.This is nuts and will be the demise of AA.The F/A's have legimate complaints and they should be addressed as they are the frontline employees providing customer service.------[AA Mech]

And a "disgruntled?" FA tosses in a couple of cents worth: (My apologies if this has already been posted)

Notes from an outraged flight attendant:

1.These opinions come from 2 corporate travel agents, possibly looking for kickbacks and free vacations.

2. There is no corporate policy about "galley talk", we are allowed to talk in the gallies. Besides, most of our passengers wear headphones which they don't even remove when we are speaking to them.

3. If a passenger questions me about company/employee policies and relations, I give an honest opinion, but like other flight attendants, I do not talk about it unless asked.

4. I won't lie to my customers when asked why we don't have milk after 10 A.M. on a domestic flight, management made the decision to remove it, despite 2 years of letters requesting it (and other needed items)back from the flight attendants. This letter implies that we should not give our passengers an explanation as to why things are not available.
5.The following statement in the letter proves the writer is unaware of what the flight attendant's job entails,

"Our customers have told us there are four elements they value; a clean aircraft, dependability, customer service excellence and consistency"

a. Flight Attendants do not clean the aircraft and do not set the policies for cleaning the aircraft.

b. Dependibility: Flight attendants do not set the schedules, nor do we pilot the aircraft or direct air traffic.

c. Dependabilty: Flight Attendants are always dependable, we are there despite the fact that we work without supervision (if I see my supervisor once every six months, it is a miracle)We get to work an hour before our flight and board the aircraft, despite the fact that we are not being paid until takeoff. We also stay late when wheelchairs don't arrive or people are late to pick up their unaccompanied minors.

d.Customer service excellence and consistency: ie: Passengers want food, a full can of soda (which American tells us not to give out)and entertainment that does not break down consistantly. They want their ticket to cost the same price everytime.

If this manager wants the flight attendants to treat the passengers better, then I suggest that he:

1. Provides the necessary equipment, supplies, and support we need to provide good service. I can not give out blankets, soda, food and milk that are not placed on board.

2. Encourage rather than anger the flight attendant, we are not a work group that responds well to threats. If you are nice to us, it will tranlate into us treating the customers better.

3. Provide layovers in which we get at least 8 hours behind our hotel doors, as 5 hours of sleep has been the normal amount of time we have on layovers lately. Sleep deprivation hurts our additude, not to mention our abilities to look out for problems.

4. Provide food for us, if you do not want us bringing our own food on the aircraft when our days are commonly over 10 hours long, without a lunch break.

Unfortunately, it's unsigned.

mweiss said:
While one might legitimately question the ethical considerations of such recording, the public nature of the activities would, I believe, preclude one from filing a violation of privacy claim against the recording party. In other words, it would be illegal to record what someone is doing in the privacy of their own home, but not what the same person is doing in, say, a public restaurant.
That may be true, but in Florida, it is llegal to tape conversations w/o consent.
This person still needs a life... <_<

I like how the problem is all mgmt's fault. Reality is that the LCC's make their employees make their employees work as hard or harder for as much or less. The gravy train stopped and everyone screams. Like some of the complaintants said...every company has cuts, but they don't talk about it to their customer. If your unhappy and get to the point where telling customers about your happiness seems like a good idea, move on. Maybe you're in the wrong profession. I've had jobs, lost jobs, been in failing companies, etc. When at work I only tell certain people about my frustrations. However, when I'm speaking to someone whose impression can be changed by my thoughts/feelings I say positive things that I believe in. I do this when speaking to friends and strangers outside of work as well. Telling them only puts a negative impression in their head about using my company's services....and that's the last thing we need. I wouldn't work here if I didn't truly believe I worked for a great company with great assets.

In all honesty, i think this is one of the major downfalls of the seniority systems. When cuts are made, we end up getting rid of the young vigorous people who truly enjoy their jobs and keep people who used to have it better and expect the gravy train to keep going no matter what. Are their senior employees who are solid performers...absolutely. However, there is no reprecussion to those who aren't. Unfortunately, that is where you tend to find the most problems...

Thought I would share this...I ran into a friend at the store this morning. She told me she flew AA to Cancun for Easter break. Her comment was that AA was heading down hill fast. I did not egg her on but she complained about the pretzels, she did say she was afraid to ask for anything else, but she also was seated in the last row and heard the galley talk. Her comment was she does not understand why anyone would work this job. All in all she took four flights, she claimed the flight attendants were hurried but friendly. Her thought was that AA was to blame, the f/a's did what they could with what they had, offering pretzels again if they had extra's, giving out full cans, etc. But compared to JetBlue she would always choose them over AA. claimed they were upbeat, gave choices, Biscotti, blue chips, etc.. Company morale must be good over there. It makes me so sad...Really. We try with what we have but it is so hard to be upbeat when you kedep getting screwed every which way they can!

Back