The Way I See It

Spark

Feb 2, 2004
Hello all...
I've just joined the forum!
Looks pretty interesting here.

In my opinion, I think we are going to see a big turn around for aviation in the near future. As technology grows I think more and more people will own a personal aircraft. That means more work for us mechanics. This will make you a more valued individual.

I am unfamilliar with "TWU". What or who is that?

The TWU, or Tatally Worthless Union, has been misrepresenting the AMT class and craft for over 50 years. Does the term "company union" mean anything to you?

No, I work in the business class aviation side and am not employed by a union shop, but I here what you are saying!

Spark;
I hate to dissapoint you but that is the same thing I heard back in A&P school back in the 70S. Demand for mechanics did go up as predicted however wages, real wages after inflation did not. Here is how things have turned out.

[REMOVED - IMAGE TO LARGE FOR THESE FORUMS]

The spike that you see in 2002 was the result of AMFAs growth and the contract they got at NWA. However the other unions, that are not mechanics unions even though they negotiate our conbtract are in an all out assualt, organized around a massive fear campain to reverse AMFAs gains and drag our wages down. As you can see the TWU at AA has been very succesful at that, and we are stuck with this contract till 2009.

Whether you belong to a union or not, your pay will be affected by what happens in union shops. Unions will set the standards. Our hope is to unite all aircraft mechanics into one union so we can reverse the twenty year decline that we have suffered through. My suggestion become an Associate member of AMFA or at least PAMA.

Well, I think we are going to see a lack of qualified techs, and a growth of aircraft ownership that will cause a pay increase across the industry. I base this statement on what I see locally, the talent and number of a/c etc...

Working in the business class of aviation and you see the potential for the overall wages to increase due to the lack of qualified techs and an increase in aircraft ownership.

Under the TWU the only direction the wages for the techs will go is down. It has been established over the last twenty years that under the representation of the TWU that wages have gone down. The wages of the business aviation techs probably will increase, as will all other aircraft technicians that are not represented by the TWU. The TWU has been the driving force behind the downward spiral of wages and benefits in this industry. It is time for a change.

Spark said:
Well, I think we are going to see a lack of qualified techs, and a growth of aircraft ownership that will cause a pay increase across the industry. I base this statement on what I see locally, the talent and number of a/c etc...

Makes Perfect Sense to Me.
stoned.gif

Good Luck,

Uniform Tango

Spark, I am a newbe as well but I must also fill you in to what the Twu has done to the wages of "B,C,D scale" of the Aviation maintenance Tech. The Twu introduced the Shop repair person (srp) to the INDUSTRY to do aircraft work (refurb, overhaul of small parts, seat shop repair, composites, interior parts ect.) and pay those A&P licensed, and unlicensed mechanic a seperate class title and payscale way under the pay of the rest of the "A scale" industry. The same job at another airlines and different union are getting what the starting "A scale wage" for a mechanic norm should be. Meanwhile, the non mechanic jobs(unskilled) are getting paid a much higher wage than what they should be getting paid because the A&P holding tech is not a value to the TWU.

The TWU philosophy is the A&P ticket holder is not considered any more valueable/skilled or responsible to the union than the (enrty level position) unskilled- baggage handler, fueler, parts keeper, or secretary. Now I am not saying these other people are not important, but they do not have the aircraft education/skills or responsibilites that an FAA certified A&P ticket holder (career) has...PERIOD.

The TWU has taken the enty level position personell and made the Pay almost as much as the Career level position and they have better benefits even. See, Bottom line is the Twu has made the entry level position into a career and made the career (A&P tech) into an entry level position job. TWU is the only union in the Industry to have "B,C,D "scale Aircraft Maintenance doing the work of an "A scale" job. At the same time the TWU is giving the Maintence Tech jobs/duties to the nonskilled ramp workers,examples de-icing, push backs, some inspections, and alot more. That is called job security, and the Twu is giving the value of our job duties away to other (enrty level) non licensed people. FYI thks for your time spark

Has any of you guys ever thought or tried to get out of TWU?
There must be some other aviation job (non union) that would make a good career move for you.
Dont get me wrong though, we have our complaints too about pay scales.
It's the same everywhere. It just sounds like this "TWU" is really bringing you guys down.
My philosophy is : "To each his own" (if you can make more money than me, go for it!)
It's all a money game here folks, and guess what? I'm ready to start playing. I've been in aviation for 14 years and have gained the knowledge (I think) to be a player in the money game.

Spark,

I am an AMT with AA. I worked the FBO routine and specialized shops that performed major renovation jobs under the Experimental category. I have worked contract for Corporate. For the last several years, I have worked only commercial aircraft mx.

I became involved with the TWU after witnessing the complete incompetence of the "local" idiots. I worked with others, in aircraft maintenance, from other locals to make separation happen. I have talked to Sonny Hall, Kerrigan, Little, Yingst, Conley and Gless...in the end NONE of them work for the AMT, they represent the majority of those under them--that is not and will never be the Mechanic.

They are required by law to perform their FIDUCUARY DUTY to their Membership. They own the contracts that this Union signs with AA.

They will never be able to take something from one group and give it to you. They will never be able to give you more than another group. If they must take from you, they will always require that you "contribute" more because you make more.

The only way to separate yourself, is to separate from the TWU and the AFL-CIO, because the AFL-CIO charter prevents us from going to any other union within the AFL-CIO.

AMFA is not in the AFL-CIO and only represents those in the Maintenance & Related Class & Craft.

AMFA, like the Maintenance & Related Local Presidents of the TWU, has chosen to not take concessions to save jobs.

Unlike the TWU, AMFA listened to what their Membership and Local Leaders had to say.

The TWU, in over THIRTY DAYS of "concessions negotiations", only allowed the Maintenance & Related Local Presidents to Directly-Face to Face-meet with AA Corporate Leadership LESS THAN FOUR WHOLE DAYS.

The AMFA Negotiations Council, and a set number of seats for Local Observers, from around their system, met regularly.

At AMFA, the membership can remove any elected leader. With the TWU, it is a lot like looking for a Massachusetts voter for Kennedy--no one admits to it but he goes back every time.

In short, the AMFA values Members Decisions, the TWU ignores them.

AMFA demands that Members take action, the TWU tells you they will take care of you then allows the company to abuse you.

Like the Senior Company Officers at AA, the Senior Corporate Officers of the TWU like the way the current game is played. They do not have to change anything about their business plan as long as those they control are willing to fund it.

Boomer said:
Spark,

I am an AMT with AA. I worked the FBO routine and specialized shops that performed major renovation jobs under the Experimental category. I have worked contract for Corporate. For the last several years, I have worked only commercial aircraft mx.

I became involved with the TWU after witnessing the complete incompetence of the "local" idiots. I worked with others, in aircraft maintenance, from other locals to make separation happen. I have talked to Sonny Hall, Kerrigan, Little, Yingst, Conley and Gless...in the end NONE of them work for the AMT, they represent the majority of those under them--that is not and will never be the Mechanic.

They are required by law to perform their FIDUCUARY DUTY to their Membership. They own the contracts that this Union signs with AA.

They will never be able to take something from one group and give it to you. They will never be able to give you more than another group. If they must take from you, they will always require that you "contribute" more because you make more.

The only way to separate yourself, is to separate from the TWU and the AFL-CIO, because the AFL-CIO charter prevents us from going to any other union within the AFL-CIO.

AMFA is not in the AFL-CIO and only represents those in the Maintenance & Related Class & Craft.

AMFA, like the Maintenance & Related Local Presidents of the TWU, has chosen to not take concessions to save jobs.

Unlike the TWU, AMFA listened to what their Membership and Local Leaders had to say.

The TWU, in over THIRTY DAYS of "concessions negotiations", only allowed the Maintenance & Related Local Presidents to Directly-Face to Face-meet with AA Corporate Leadership LESS THAN FOUR WHOLE DAYS.

The AMFA Negotiations Council, and a set number of seats for Local Observers, from around their system, met regularly.

At AMFA, the membership can remove any elected leader. With the TWU, it is a lot like looking for a Massachusetts voter for Kennedy--no one admits to it but he goes back every time.

In short, the AMFA values Members Decisions, the TWU ignores them.

AMFA demands that Members take action, the TWU tells you they will take care of you then allows the company to abuse you.

Like the Senior Company Officers at AA, the Senior Corporate Officers of the TWU like the way the current game is played. They do not have to change anything about their business plan as long as those they control are willing to fund it.
"AMFA demands that Members take action, the TWU tells you they will take care of you then allows the company to abuse you."

There is a little more to the TWU than that. The TWU tells you not to take action, that they will take care of it, does nothing then later on blames the members for not taking action!

Latest posts

Back