This doesn't seem fair.

I'm not sure obviously of US Airways internal policies but most well managed companies will at least allow you to apply for advancement without your direct supervisors approval.

Come on Bob, I hope you're not including US Airways in the category of "most well managed companies". :p

Ah... makes more sense now. The poster was complaining of not being able to advance; I thought you were suggesting that he could sue for retaliation now under the current situation.

It makes perfect sense now that you explained that he could sue for retaliation after hypothetical discrimination, a hypothetical discrimination lawsuit, and hypothetical adverse treatment after the hypothetical discrimination lawsuit.

HR is a field where you have to constantly weigh hypotheticals, and you still manage to be surprised from time to time. :D

Fly4Free, I feel for you. It took me a while to move out, but I had a sup that actively supported me moving on up which helps quite a bit. It seems to me from your posts that you've got a good head on your shoulders, some good work experience, and a great attitude. Who wouldn't want you in their department? Breath, earlyretiree, and rjh have excellent pointers. If I were you, and at one point I was, I would worry more about my own house. Stick to your guns, keep your chin up, and apply, apply, apply.

Some advice a C-level gave out a while ago was if you want to move around, do it, and let people know. You want to get back into IT? Find a manager in that department and let them know how much you'd like to work there, to learn from them, and grow professionally. God knows they could use some competent help.
I believe a lot of people here have some good points. I don't think I'll be sueing my employer anytime soon though, lol. I want to be liked here, not sabotage any chance I would have of promotion.

I've been gathering in what everyone has been saying to me about this. I find that maybe, given time, I may be able to advance outside of the department. I feel like I'm going against a ticking clock though. Would IT hire me / someone who has been with a non-IT related department for a year? Would other companies even consider me? I don't want to be the laughing joke of the day if I ever have to face that. That is why I choose US Airways as a place to start a long-term career. I want to retire from US Airways, and that doesn't mean I'm happy with everything that happens. I have always had the philosophy of I am the one who choose to accept the job I have and no one forced me here.

Back