Thought I'd run this up the flagpole, from the Elliott travel blog

It 's nice if AA gave smoneone who rendered assistance 15000 miles but, it should not be expected. And it seems like in this instance it was. Less than classy.

2 $175 vouchers does seem a bit chintzy for the service which he provided. While he did "volunteer" his services, an in-flight medical emergency is not exactly a call that any doctor with integrity would dismiss.

I think that US should have preemptively upgraded Dr. & Mrs. Pomerantz to Envoy for their return flight (and not charged them the co-pay :lol: ). Had they done that, I don't think they would have complained to Customer Relations.

They are obviously back now, so perhaps a R/T upgrade to Envoy for their TLV flight would be an appropriate gesture?

As a side note.....I believe that some of the airlines offer incentives for doctors to announce themselves to the flight crew, or register as doctors in their profile. I remember speaking to a doctor once who does this with one of the other domestic airlines -- I think it was DL, but I'm not sure.

Hey everybody I have a better idea.....
why doesn't the 2 people needing assist
buy them 2 tkts to TLV....after all
if they went to a hospital they'd have to
pay him there...... :rolleyes:

The problem is the Good Doctor comes across as EXPECTING something.

Now maybe it's ust my Mennonite/Baptist Background but calling attention to your good works to me is offensive.

I agree with you Bob, what about the Hypocratic Oath?, I believe I spelled it right. In 1989 on a flight between LAX-CLE, a doctor treated a psgr who suffered a seizure on board, US gave him an RTFC in gratitude, a week later he called Consumer Affairs asking for a second voucher so he could take his son on an upcoming trip, the request was politely declined

In this case, the following letter would have been sent:

Dr. Awesome,

I want to personally extend my most sincere appreciation for you sacrificing a portion of your vaction to help both a passenger in need, as well as all other passengers and flight crew whose intenarary would have been in jeapordy if not for your actions. While we realize that your assistance was completely voluntary, I feel compelled to show our appreciation. Please find enclosed, two complimentary upgrades to First/Envoy Class on any domestic or international flight at any point in the future. We hope that you will find good use for these in the near future, and that the additional seating upgrade and services provided will ensure that your next vacation begins and ends in the greatest possible comfort. Again, we value all that you have done, and look forward to being your carrier of choice soon.

Sincerely,

{hand signed}

Scott Kirby
President
US Airways

Doctor feels appreciated, his ego stroked, says nice things about US, and US is out a couple of hundred bucks for the upgrade that some Y class would have bought at the gate instead.

Are you sure Tempe didnt right this won already?
(Sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

OK Kids in Tempe, Listen up.
The F/As write up that big report when a medical emergency occurs inflight. Someone gets it at the corporate level. They should READ it.
The good doctor's name is there. When he arrived at the gate for his return trip, the conversation should have started thusly:
"Oh, Doctor X, your ticket price for this trip has been refunded to your credit card and you and your wife have been upgraded to Envoy for your return flight with the grateful thanks of all the employees of USAirwayz for your generous actions on last weeks flight."
Give him the VIP treatment and the guy will buy his TLV tickets at twice the price next time.
A lesson to be learned here in human relations, SORELY lacking at this outfit.
This guy saved a divert, how much is that worth?
Nuf said.
Cheers.

Because to me it's offensive. Without getting into a theological debate here. I just think that calling attention to something you did out of compassion and then expecting compensation is at minimum bad form.

:up: Roger that PB. I'm with you. Pro Bono.

Legally and morally, there is no obligation for a doctor to help a patient in a flight. I say morally, because the only moral guidelines would be the Hypocratic Oath which is silent on good samaritans.

You are assuming that all physicians even take the Hippocratic Oath. Some med schools do it, others use an updated version (so the doc doesn't have to share all his income with his teachers,) and others use a different oath altogether.

Interesting spelling. Hippocrates might have been offended.

Just a couple of things:

Last year there were OVER 2000 incidents of customer illness, injury or death last year - all having the potential to seek medical assistance. Why is the AIRLINE responsible to bear a cost associated with a customers medical needs. Good PR is one thing, but where does the CUSTOMERS obligation come in to play? When do we start holding CUSTOMERS responsible for their actions? This is not a medical problem - the woman consumed to much alcohol and to many drugs and caused her own problem. Why isn't anyone crying that they CUSTOMER should be compensating the Dr for his time and efforts. while I appreciate the Dr's assistance in helping the crew, had the woman been responsible for her own actions, this would have never happened.

There is a difference when you are dealing with a customer that had a medical issue sucha s a heart attack - in my eyes it is completely different when someone screws up and causes their own issues.

Why are we - as a company - the fall guy for everything.

As a second note - when will all the people that are screaming for a Passenger Bill of Rights going to start screaming for modifcations and upgrades to the air traffic control system? We have planes and crews at the ready - we are held hostage by ATC.

He certainly is living up to the stereotype. Send him off to Israel and leave him there. Maybe even a gratis stay at a Palestinian hotel with meals. I'm sure they'll love him there.

Back