Today I met with a congressman's campaign manager re. foreign repair stations.

So far today, I've spoken with a headhunter with a clientele looking for diemakers (as I have every day this week - all out of state and not yet an option due to family concerns) and arranged an interview locally - but let me ask - what have you done today to benefit you and your family? Hint - offering to supply signs doesn't count.

I've been shown over time, in no uncertain terms, what working for the "greater good" accomplishes. It's nice to see others, as in your case, aren't quite so jaded. I truly hope, for your sake, your dedication isn't due to not having other options.

Count on this. I will retire soon from airline work and have other options. Blather on if you like.
What have you done to fight against foreign outsourcing of our work, Mr. instant-expert?

To get the President to do something like issue an executive order you really should be talking to the President's people, no?

I was speaking with a person who could get the message to President Obama, as in - a person working for a senior member of Congress who is a Democrat. One can benefit from introductions and referrals in these matters.

What bill? In the previous paragraph, you were talking about the President issuing an executive order.

No sh!t Sherlock.

Don't need a bill to get that done. Are you now talking about trying to get Congress to pass a law requiring that all heavy checks be accomplished in the USA?
Yes, that is my second suggestion in context. Of course we can not expect that to happen now. You are so smart. Gee can I wipe your shoes?

Good luck with that. I predict the odds of success at somewhere around one in a billion.

Presumably the unions that would benefit from such an order or law have spent some time and money on that cause - don't see how a grass roots effort by mechanics going it alone would lead to greater probability of success.

You offer nothing but cr@p. This is not about unions. My maintenance coordinator is losing her job too, idiot. Grassroots campaigns get things done all the time. Have you ever studied how a grassroots campaign works? Try harnessing your mind to Texas HB3588 and the Trans Texas Corridor. My friends and I - a grassroots campaign - STOPPED IT.

I guess everybody has their reasons why work that has traditionally been done in the U.S. should stay here but to label anyone that believes that as even a touch xenophobic is a stretch to me. It is the same logic that labels anyone for immigration reform as racist. They just must not like people from other countries I guess?
Cmon, you know unions are supposed to try and keep jobs in the U.S. In regards to Delta's hangar in Mexico, my first choice would be to keep those jobs here but if the facility and workers are under the same scrutiny as MROs in the U.S. then that's really all any of us can ask for. The same for AA.
My point all along in this is that we really don't know how our OH costs stack up against the foreign MROs and nothing was done by management to try and get us close to those costs. I've been for cleaning out the deadbeats and 3 time losers in maintenance and so are alot of guys but it was never done. Now all of a sudden they are full of chair removal ideas. Brilliant. And yes, I blame the union too.

I would imagine APFAs resistance to foreign nationals is the same I have heard from degreed professionals that complain about engineers from India coming here and working for less money and putting Americans out of work. Yes I am against that.

Bob Owens would rather those checks be performed in the U.S. rather than Europe. I am for that and on the flipside I imagine Europeans would rather they do the checks. I see both sides points of view.

Protecting jobs and/or seeing that our competitors play by the same rules is not xenophobia. If you want to call it a touch of protectionism then you may have a case.

I have you beat on the mileage. Your cars together add up to my poor old 2002 Silverado. C'mon Retirement Prefunding check......

Correct. Xenophobia has nothing to do with this discussion.

Lloyd--

Good on you for making an effort despite the odds being so stacked in your favor. It's easy to buy in to the "it won't work, so why try" mindset. Working to effect change is much harder, but much more rewarding. I wish you well.

Count on this. I will retire soon from airline work and have other options. Blather on if you like.
What have you done to fight against foreign outsourcing of our work, Mr. instant-expert?

Lloyd, the fight against foreign outsourcing is a noble cause. And you are right..the fight should not end..

But the things I see why it will never happen are this.....Aircraft have not been dropping out of the sky causing major disasters because of foreign maintenance.
Then you have politics...Airlines which are based in various cities and states will lobby their respective senators and congressmen that forcing them to do ALL maintenance work on US soil will cost them too much money.

What if a law was passed to have all US airliners maintained on US soil...Who's to say that each airline will insource the work themselves when their are TIMCOs and AAR's out there.

My argument for bringing the work back would be concentrated on two things...SECURITY and bringing HIGH SKILLED jobs back to this country.

Let's get something understood up front - I AM NOT making light of your position. You can quit acting the big bad union man as I'm not interested in the fluff.

Many of those who are willing to fight to "save" the AMT trade do so because they have no other options with respect to their continued employment - as I said, I hope you aren't in that catagory.

My particular trade is a diemaker/moldemaker/toolmaker and really has no dependency on any particular industry. Although the Navy trained me as an ADJ, (now the AD rating - a jet engine mechanic), I have no interest in the damned things but the knowledge has been priceless re: fixturing for the component parts. Aerospace was nice for a while and provided a good living but the thought of being treated as dirt to better an executive's bonus is unacceptable and my intent is to leave the industry.

I find it very unfortunate more workers at AA aren't willing or able to do the same and I truly wish them luck in their fight but with the company seemingly taking the attitude they can be punitive with the bankruptcy court's assistance, the fight seems rather futile. I wish it wasn't so, but my "give-a-####" has been FUBARed. For me, it's time to go.

Not the first time I've seen the xenophobia word used on this subject. Both times by someone that probably wouldn't know the first thing about maintaining an aircraft from the other side of a desk. Please explain why you think trying to keep these jobs in the USA makes someone a xenophobe.
Do you apply that tag to anyone that fights outsourcing to other countries?
And will you be taking your car in for service this weekend "across the tracks" or the usual Casper Milktoast service center?

Dont waste your breath with that company schill. I meet jerks like him on planes all the time with their subservient attitude.

Not the first time I've seen the xenophobia word used on this subject. Both times by someone that probably wouldn't know the first thing about maintaining an aircraft from the other side of a desk. Please explain why you think trying to keep these jobs in the USA makes someone a xenophobe.
Do you apply that tag to anyone that fights outsourcing to other countries?
And will you be taking your car in for service this weekend "across the tracks" or the usual Casper Milktoast service center?
Many so-called "English" language words are being modified with the intent of eliminating truth from their meanings. I mean, who'd have thought some years ago that to be a flaming "racist" all one needed do was disagree with the president?

The same with "xenophobic". Even though the intent is to take care of our country and its people first, one is now "xenophobic" for wanting our Amerikan corporations to keep their maintenance work and manufacturing here to provide jobs for our people - not another country that chooses to spend the money it earns from us on weaponry to do away with us and our way of life.

"Xenophobic" is also a term used when American citizens simply ask the federal government to follow laws already on the books with respect to the invasion from the south and how to deal with those who chose to make their first act upon entry to the United States a criminal offense.

I didn't really understand the "New Math" either.

Hey guy, I for one am proud of you and and your efforts.....

but the time to act came and went when Ronald Regan tossed out the PATCO workers.

Every union leader had a chance to back up these guys but they chose to wait their turn under Ronny's desk.

That's when the snowflake on a hill formed into a snowball. You know what happens to the snowball, getting larger and larger going down that snowy hill all those years, right ?

So go right ahead and just jump into the snowball's path.. Have a nice day.

You have a nice day too Barfbag. BTW I never mess with snowballs... :)

Let's get something understood up front - I AM NOT making light of your position. You can quit acting the big bad union man as I'm not interested in the fluff.

Many of those who are willing to fight to "save" the AMT trade do so because they have no other options with respect to their continued employment - as I said, I hope you aren't in that catagory.

My particular trade is a diemaker/moldemaker/toolmaker and really has no dependency on any particular industry. Although the Navy trained me as an ADJ, (now the AD rating - a jet engine mechanic), I have no interest in the damned things but the knowledge has been priceless re: fixturing for the component parts. Aerospace was nice for a while and provided a good living but the thought of being treated as dirt to better an executive's bonus is unacceptable and my intent is to leave the industry.

I find it very unfortunate more workers at AA aren't willing or able to do the same and I truly wish them luck in their fight but with the company seemingly taking the attitude they can be punitive with the bankruptcy court's assistance, the fight seems rather futile. I wish it wasn't so, but my "give-a-####" has been FUBARed. For me, it's time to go.

It is time for a lot of us to go Frank. I wish you well.

My sentiments as well.
+1 to Lloyd
B) xUT

Thank you xUT

Hookem!

For the record, I am not trying to be the "big union guy" or do anything for me. There are a lot more productive and present things I can do with my time. This is about what's right, and what's for us all. While I digress a bit, this isn't about UNIONS at all. For all the union mechanics, machinists, cleaners, etc. at the airlines there are dozens, hundreds of administrative support staff, engineers, trainers, and the local businesses that rely on them as well as us.

This is also important for domestic competitors like TIMCO etc. Even they can't compete with foreign labor costs. We have to win this for the USA. You can bet the men and women who fought tyranny in the late 1700s didn't wait for help or for some union to do the job for them. They got off their asses and did it, at home.

What I am trying to do is elicit help in educating lawmakers and the president directly.

We are in an election season. ANYTHING you can do personally to educate, or if necessary - embarrass or call-out publicly a politician during the election season is a good thing. And, you really can make a difference, one person at a time. The best thing is to get them into the idea that it is THEIR idea to Save American MRO Jobs!

Back