Travel Benefits for Furloughed Customer Service Employees

kicked2curb

Sep 14, 2004
I received a letter from Tempe yesterday (dated April,9 BTW)offering me flight benefits as a retiree under the 65 point plan. I was furloughed in 2001, but wasn't old enough to retire from furlough under the original CWA CBA, which basically only took into account age as a consideration. Since the 65 Point Plan takes into account age and years of service, I would have my flight benefits, BUT, I would waive my right to any other benefits as a retired employee, which in actuality there really aren't any at this time. I would appreciate any comments, insight, or opinions on this proposition. I am leery about the intent of this offering, since this company doesn't doesn't voluntarily do anything beneficial for it employees. I don't want to jeopardize any future benefits, if by some slim chance they maybe included in a future contract

I received a letter from Tempe yesterday (dated April,9 BTW)offering me flight benefits as a retiree under the 65 point plan. I was furloughed in 2001, but wasn't old enough to retire from furlough under the original CWA CBA, which basically only took into account age as a consideration. Since the 65 Point Plan takes into account age and years of service, I would have my flight benefits, BUT, I would waive my right to any other benefits as a retired employee, which in actuality there really aren't any at this time. I would appreciate any comments, insight, or opinions on this proposition. I am leery about the intent of this offering, since this company doesn't doesn't voluntarily do anything beneficial for it employees. I don't want to jeopardize any future benefits, if by some slim chance they maybe included in a future contract
just curious, how many years do you have in? If you have something else lined up with good pay, benefits and a decent work schedule, why not take the flying benfits and run? Just my 2c...

You may want to read that letter again. It states that if you were furloughed POST 9/27/05, not Pre unless you got a different letter. :unsure:

You may want to read that letter again. It states that if you were furloughed POST 9/27/05, not Pre unless you got a different letter. :unsure:

The letter states," Our records show that you are currently on a Leave Of Absence ( LOA) or out on a LOA with return to duty rights post September 27,2005. In the past, the pre-merger US Airways policy did not allow for employees to retire from a LOA with retiree travel benefits. After careful consideration the decision has been made to allow pre-merger US Airways employees who were on LOA post September 27,2005 and who qualify for the 65 Point Plan Retiree Travel ( age plus years of service equal or exceed 65 years with a minimum of 10 years of service), to be eligible to take part in this plan, even if they are retiring from LOA". :)

You did say in your opening post that you were furloughed in 2001, and this refers to those furloughed post 2005. If you are now on a LOA, it looks as if you have a different letter, as mine states nothing about LOA.

Latest posts

Back