Trial Opens Against Scientists for Italy Quake

Ms Tree

Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
I remember reading about this shortly after the quake. I did not give it much thought since I did not figure any court would even entertain the idea much less allow it to go forth. Did I miss something in the scientific community where they discovered how to forecast quakes with any level of certainty. I can see a circus like this happening in N Korea or Iran but Italy? Come on. You guys brought us Galileo and Da Vinci among other great minds. You brought us Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and Alfa's. You brought us pizza, lasagna, and fettuccine. How on earth can you bee this stupid?
Seven scientists and other experts went on trial on manslaughter charges Tuesday for allegedly failing to sufficiently warn residents before a devastating 2009 earthquake that killed more than 300 people in central Italy.

The case is being closely watched by seismologists around the globe who insist it's impossible to predict earthquakes and dangerous to suggest otherwise, since seismologists will be discouraged from issuing any advice at all if they fear legal retaliation.

quake trial

Back