two changes for Delta

topDawg

Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Adding a 2nd daily, FINALLY, LAX-MIA flight. 

DL0679 LAX-MIA 1005-1802 738 D
DL0675 MIA-LAX 1720-1750 738 D

starts June 4th. 

Also starting June 2nd SEA-ICN will be going 333. By my math this would have to be the 242t GE aircraft as it is a bit long for the Pratt powered 330s. Not sure on that however looking for a for sure answer. 

before it even comes, lets try not to turn this thread into a Delta is so much better than American thread. Please. 

as I noted, LAX-MIA would see increased service. Won't be the last DL addition in this market.

The SEA-ICN upgrade is being pulled forward to the summer.

SEA-ICN is blocked at far less than 12 hours in the summer. the PW 333s have operated 12 hour flights (FCO-ATL) in the summer, although it has been close to the limits. DL can make the route work with a PW 333 if it needs to

check your sources and let me know what you come up with regarding a west coast 717 base.

WorldTraveler said:
as I noted, LAX-MIA would see increased service. Won't be the last DL addition in this market.
Hopefully SLC-MIA or SLC-FLL is next. Amazing to me Delta can't make one of those flights work. 

WorldTraveler said:
SEA-ICN is blocked at far less than 12 hours in the summer.
SEA-ICN is blocked at 11:30 or so. Not far less than 12 hours

WorldTraveler said:
the PW 333s have operated 12 hour flights (FCO-ATL) in the summer, although it has been close to the limits. DL can make the route work with a PW 333 if it needs to
FCO-ATL is blocked right at 11 hours.

Also, I am drawing a blank but I don't think the 333 have pilot crew rests in them. (or didn't till resently)  
WorldTraveler said:
check your sources and let me know what you come up with regarding a west coast 717 base.
 I don't have a source other than what they company says. 
The running theme has been 3 bases with the 88 717s. ATL, DTW and between MSP, LAX and NYC for the third. Once NYC opened they said that was it. 
having said that, things can always change. 

Delta wasn't ever going to merge with NW per Anderson......... 

333s have blocked seats for pilots but I think a recent concession was that pilots could share the mid-cabin crew rest with the FAs.

yes, you are right that the summer block time for FCO-ATL is 11, not 12 hours.

the longest DL 333 flight right now is BOM-AMS at 11 hrs 20 min, nearly identical to the block time SEA-ICN on the 330 in the summer

I suspect the reason you don't see SLC-MIA or FLL is because it probably is not terribly high-yielding relative to connections via other hubs.

It is a relatively "thin" market which makes it hard to revenue control for higher fares. MCO is a larger market.

WorldTraveler said:
but I think a recent concession was that pilots could share the mid-cabin crew rest with the FAs.
Correct, we share the same "area"on the bus.

robbed,
the longest A319 DL flights right now are EWR-SLC, DTW-MEX, and NYC-DEN.

you may be aware that DL is doing cabin mods of the 319s, 320s, and 757s with galley, lav, and seat changes that will add seats. the 319s will keep hot galleys and AVOD, IIRC while the 320s will not. DL has said they will use the 319s to supplement and expand DL's presence in Latin America which is the only N. America region where hot galleys are needed consistently thruout the aircraft.

most of DL's non-JFK-LAX/SFO transcons are 738s.

Kev3188 said:
Who could forget that one?

Do either of you know when they got rid of the pilot crew rest area? What's in that space now?
When they did the Mod's on the Airbus they removed the forward Pilot rest area and 
replaced it with a lav (now 2 lavs forward)

it is worth noting that one of the forward lavs is behind a lockable gate which means the entire business class cabin doesn't have to come to a stop when a pilot needs to come in/out of the cockpit including to use the loo.

I wish every plane had that design.

robbedagain said:
Does DL use the 319 or 320 on cross country flights similar to the 738s?
Some but its pretty limited and mostly going away. 

Routes like LAX-TPA and RDU have seen the 320 regularly in the past but Delta is shifting to using the 320 on more mid haul flying. The motors on the 320 make T-cons a bit of a problem in the summer time. Even from SLC most of the longer flying is 738s. 

WorldTraveler said:
robbed,
the longest A319 DL flights right now are EWR-SLC, DTW-MEX, and NYC-DEN.

you may be aware that DL is doing cabin mods of the 319s, 320s, and 757s with galley, lav, and seat changes that will add seats. the 319s will keep hot galleys and AVOD, IIRC while the 320s will not. DL has said they will use the 319s to supplement and expand DL's presence in Latin America which is the only N. America region where hot galleys are needed consistently thruout the aircraft.

most of DL's non-JFK-LAX/SFO transcons are 738s.
Or 757. 

and the 319s are getting mods for longer flying. Look for them to show up on some transcons and long mid-cons from SLC. 

WorldTraveler said:
333s have blocked seats for pilots but I think a recent concession was that pilots could share the mid-cabin crew rest with the FAs.

yes, you are right that the summer block time for FCO-ATL is 11, not 12 hours.

the longest DL 333 flight right now is BOM-AMS at 11 hrs 20 min, nearly identical to the block time SEA-ICN on the 330 in the summer

I suspect the reason you don't see SLC-MIA or FLL is because it probably is not terribly high-yielding relative to connections via other hubs.

It is a relatively "thin" market which makes it hard to revenue control for higher fares. MCO is a larger market.
All international flights have a seat blocked for the pilots.(if they don't have a crew rest) 
However for any flight over 12 hours pilots must have their own separate crew rest. That is why the sub fleet of 763s that do 12 hour flights have the pods for pilots up stairs. 

but i forgot they are going to be using the FA rests. Don't the 332s have their own rest or are they sharing there too? (yes I could look this all up but....im lazy) 

and for SLC-MIA I have heard that the 319s will open up routes like that once they get AVOD and new cabins. (even though I would think, because its going to be a Y heavy route you would want a 738 or a 757.) 

but I do understand what you are saying. I would still like to see some of the markets like MIA/FLL, ELP, OGG, MKE, RDU come back for SLC.