mojo13

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Emilie Karrick 202.253.7298

January 15, 2004

TWU DEBATE PANEL REVEALS TRUTH ABOUT AMFA

TULSA — Rank and file supporters of the Transport Workers Union (TWU) today told an assembled crowd of American Airlines mechanic and related workers why they are sticking with their union. The TWU supporters challenged representatives of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) to a debate, however. AMFA failed to send a panel to participate.

“We’re disappointed that AMFA didn’t have the guts to get up there and debate us,†said Rick Mullings, spokesman for TWU Local 514. “They are trying to get our support yet they refuse to step up to the plate. It seems as if they just aren’t ready to face questions from our membership.’

Facing three empty seats on the AMFA side of the stage, a panel of three TWU supporters praised the TWU for saving 12,000 jobs and maintaining one of the lowest rates of outsourcing in the industry while keeping the three maintenance bases at American Airlines open. They then exposed AMFA’s abysmal track record on outsourcing, job loss and accountability.

AMFA is a Laconia, New Hampshire-based group formed to raid AFL-CIO unions across the airline industry.

“There are more than 10,000 people on the streets right now because of AMFA,†said Lee Doughty, a panelist from TWU Local 530 in Kansas City. “Their airlines currently lead the industry in the outsourcing of work both overseas and to outside contractors. AMFA leads their members straight to the unemployment line.â€

Today’s debate was sponsored by Tulsa’s TWU Local 514 and TEAM TWU — a growing group of TWU supporters from across the American Airlines system. TWU challenged AMFA to today’s debate last month in order to clear up half truths and misconceptions that AMFA has been circulating about the union. AMFA’s only response to the TWU’s challenge was to propose a debate on Saturday at the Brady Theater.

“Today’s debate was among the rank and file workers who will have to live with the outcome of this representational dispute,†said Matt Porter, a panelist from TWU Local 567 at Alliance Fort Worth. “This is about us; this is about the people who stand to fall victim to AMFA’s record of allowing the elimination of jobs and the outsourcing of maintenance work. We should be the ones discussing these issues.â€

TWU represents nearly 60,000 workers in the nation’s airline industry, including 29,000 active employees at American and 15,000 mechanic and related classes. TWU has represented workers at American Airlines since 1946.

Let us pray...

"BETTER A THIEF THAN A LIAR" goes the old adage...for with a thief you know what he is and you hide your valuables from him...but with a LIAR you never know what is true or not...Much like CIO, mojo is a mere common liar and purveyor of useless and inane propaganda... I would not believe these two miscriants if they told me the earth was round...
mojo fails to mention how the TWU set us back 50 years with their latest bile contract...mojo fails to mention how the TWU gave these concessions in exchange for NOTHING...for they had nothing in writing guaranteeing no lay offs or base closures...Alas the TWU lackeys had to beg and grovel to Arpey to keep open the bases... which the TWU now claims was their doing...This delusional behavior comes from years of drinking the TWU Kool-Aide...for we all know evil corporate types could care less about the pleas or plight of their workers...we pray mojo along with cio put down the jug and or the pipe and come to the truth of AMFA...for these things we pray....

Seems that it revealed more about the TWU!

If we took pay and benifit cuts to "save jobs" why did fleet take them? They used to outnumber us, now according to your figure there are 2000 more of us than them. Did'nt the TWU have 35,000 members at AA back in 2001? It might be in the Convention minutes. So the TWU went down 6000 members in less than 2 years? A 17% reduction. How much did AA reduce their operations? 5%? That means we are putting out more work for LESS money.

Did fleet take pay and job cuts to save M&R jobs so that the TWU could fight off AMFA? Wait till the AGW hears this one!!! Fleet took massive pay and job cuts to save mechanics jobs in Tulsa and MCI!! They took these cuts so those guys could keep their $60,000 jobs in the cheapest parts of the country to live! Their group was made to suffer so those guys could continue to live like Kings! They live like Kings off the money generated by workers, those that still have jobs, who now must work overtime just to make what they used to make, and what they used to make was not that great to start with! That should be good for about 10,000 cards!

Mojo, perhaps you can recount the number of testimonial accounts that can be endorsed with VERIFIABLE DOCUMENTATION, if any? I personally have had my fill of rhetoric based solely on emotion. If any V.D. can be found, bring it down to the Brady tommorrow and share.(sorry, I couldn't resist)

mojo13 said:
Sorry, the debate is over!
Well if you dont want to debate thats just fine.

Its understandable because in a free and open forum such as this the TWU is at a tremendous disadvantage. They have such a lousy record the only way they can defend it is in a controlled enviornment where they determine what information gets exchanged.

Smoke and mirrors are only effective in a dark enclosed space. The truth is exposed when the lights are turned on and all is there for us to see.

The lights are about to be turned on and that means lights out for the TWU/ATD!

We will simply continue to put out information so our brothers and sisters can make an informed decision as to the future of their careers.

Mojo, does that mean after smoking your pipe you have lost the ability to recall events from the previous day or were you forbidden to discuss VERIFIABLE DOCUMENTATION? Didn't anyone take notes? If the debate "is over", why was it reported that the TWU will be protesting THE DEBATE AT THE BRADY?

Mojo, human nature dictates you would answer NOW if you could because nothing is more compelling that FACTS. YOU-HAVE-NONE!!!!!

mojo,

Simple question or two, based on the activities of Thursday's TWU charade/ambush attempt, to cover the fact that the TWU International is afraid to face their own membership, are you now taking the public position that you are squarely on the side of the TWU? You were an "indepedent" last week, what are you today?

I did not see you there, but I did see alot of folks that will NEVER receive the NMB Ballot for votiing.

If you were there, what was the total number you saw in attendance? Including non-craft or class personel?

Amazing,

The number of "jobs saved" increases with every TWU publication.

Two weeks ago it was 10,000
Today it is 12,000

By the time the NMB Ballots are mailed, the number of jobs saved will out number the total craft or class size.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

American will close parts warehouse at KCI

Mark Kind
Staff Writer

Some of the 2,200 jobs at American Airlines' overhaul base at Kansas City International Airport could start disappearing in August as the airline closes its parts warehouse.

"We have concluded that we no longer need three base warehouses. That's too much capacity for us," company spokesman John Hotard said, noting that the airline's other two overhaul bases also have parts warehouses. "Since Tulsa and the Alliance base in Fort Worth are automated, we can combine all of our activity into those locations."

About 90 union employees work in the KCI warehouse, said Gordon Clark, president of Local 530 of the Transport Workers Union.

"I know there's going to be opportunities for those workers in other areas of the base," Clark said. "We'll make every effort to see that no one is laid off."

Employees leaving through retirement and other regular attrition may not be replaced, however, Hotard said.

"We will continue to plan to use attrition where practical to control costs," he said. "Now, we don't know what that attrition is going to be between now and August."

Integrating Kansas City's parts into the remaining warehouses and disposing of unneeded parts at KCI will take about eight months, Hotard said.

American also is still integrating TWA's maintenance operations and inventories with its own, he said. American bought TWA in 2001.

"So we can't say how many, if any, employees are going to be adversely affected," Hotard said.

Before October, the nearly bankrupt airline had seemed ready to close the city-owned base. Then the city promised to finance massive repairs and reconstruction with nearly $90 million in bonds, even if the work force drops to 700. The airline said it would to try to keep a work force of more than 1,700 by selling maintenance services to other airlines.

TWA opened the base in Kansas City in 1957, predating KCI, which opened north of the base in 1972.

TWU informer said:
mojo,

Simple question or two, based on the activities of Thursday's TWU charade/ambush attempt, to cover the fact that the TWU International is afraid to face their own membership, are you now taking the public position that you are squarely on the side of the TWU? You were an "indepedent" last week, what are you today?

I did not see you there, but I did see alot of folks that will NEVER receive the NMB Ballot for votiing.

If you were there, what was the total number you saw in attendance? Including non-craft or class personel?
I must be careful to not fall through a trap door :shock:

I'de say 150 to 200 at the first one and 250 to 300 at the second one. How many did you see? :blink:

mojo,

I think you and I saw the same thing. And many from the first meeting attended the second, do they count twice?

Local 514 Distributed a flyer in Tulsa basewide today, claiming 1,000 suppporters attended!

Do you think they blantantly lied to their membership?

Of that number that you and I agree we saw, how many do you think were in the Craft or Class? How many will actually get a ballot?

TWU informer said:
mojo,

I think you and I saw the same thing. And many from the first meeting attended the second, do they count twice?

Local 514 Distributed a flyer in Tulsa basewide today, claiming 1,000 suppporters attended!

Do you think they blantantly lied to their membership?

Of that number that you and I agree we saw, how many do you think were in the Craft or Class? How many will actually get a ballot?
Another question you can ask . . . how many AMFA supporters were there to take up their cause, to face the membership. Most in attendance were looking for a real debate. A debate between AMFA and the TWU. I have even talked to some people who said that when they heard that AMFA wasn't there or wasn't coming to debate (like you yourself posted Informer) they deciced NOT to come. I was truly disappointed that AMFA didnt' show. You guys talk about all the support you have on numerous docks but yet noone showed up.

Just thought I'd throw that in. . .