Twu Express

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
I had to laugh.

The TWU Express' Sept 30 issue lets us know what the TWU is all about in its article "Sonny Hall: Moments in a Great Career."

Second paragraph: "His career in transit almost ended before it started when management tried to terminate him for less than stellar performance. "I learned the meaning of union the hard way", he said.

Well obviously he learned the wrong lesson. Unions are not about protecting lousy workers, they are about getting workers better pay and benifits.

Is it any wonder why the TWU has performed as it has when its leaders are of such caliber?

The fact that the TWU express, the Pravda of the TWU, would make such an admission, that Sonny was a "less than stellar" worker is suprising.

Most people understand that a lousy worker will also make a lousy boss or a lousy union boss, bad habits dont change if they produce positive results, such as advancement, but here the TWU Express celibrates the fact that in the TWU "less than stellar" workers can rise to the top of the union.

I mean they didnt even claim that this was the companys accusation, they stated "management tried to terminate him for less than stellar performance". Bragging about how a screw up gets away with being a screw up, even though we all know that some other worker usually gets picking up the slack for workers like Sonny that are "less than stellar".

Now you would expect that a union President might have a history of being targeted for "union activity" or even that they would claim that management made up the accusation of poor performance when in fact it was union activity but they make no such claim. Ironically Sonny as head of the Local 100 and the TWU, worked with management to eliminate rivals on such trumped up charges. Roger Toussaint is one example, Dan Cunningham is another.

Its a sad reflection upon unionism when they celibrate the fact that the union is the place for lackeys, screw ups and incompetants to excell.

Bob Owens said:
I had to laugh.

The TWU Express' Sept 30 issue lets us know what the TWU is all about in its article "Sonny Hall: Moments in a Great Career."

Second paragraph: "His career in transit almost ended before it started when management tried to terminate him for less than stellar performance. "I learned the meaning of union the hard way", he said.
Well obviously he learned the wrong lesson. Unions are not about protecting lousy workers, they are about getting workers better pay and benifits.

Is it any wonder why the TWU has performed as it has when its leaders are of such caliber?

The fact that the TWU express, the Pravda of the TWU, would make such an admission, that Sonny was a "less than stellar" worker is suprising.

Most people understand that a lousy worker will also make a lousy boss or a lousy union boss, bad habits dont change if they produce positive results, such as advancement, but here the TWU Express celibrates the fact that in the TWU "less than stellar" workers can rise to the top of the union.

I mean they didnt even claim that this was the companys accusation, they stated "management tried to terminate him for less than stellar performance". Bragging about how a screw up gets away with being a screw up, even though we all know that some other worker usually gets picking up the slack for workers like Sonny that are "less than stellar".

Now you would expect that a union President might have a history of being targeted for "union activity" or even that they would claim that management made up the accusation of poor performance when in fact it was union activity but they make no such claim. Ironically Sonny as head of the Local 100 and the TWU, worked with management to eliminate rivals on such trumped up charges. Roger Toussaint is one example, Dan Cunningham is another.

Its a sad reflection upon unionism when they celibrate the fact that the union is the place for lackeys, screw ups and incompetants to excell.
[post="196639"][/post]​

I would say that Sonny Halls performance in being the leader of the TWU during the period from 1983 to today at American Airlines is not unionism either.

"less than stellar performance" what could you possibly do as a bus driver to get such an evaluation? :unsure: oh wait a minute, were talking about sonny "the drunk" hall! :lol:

Back