Twu - The "members" And The "union"

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
AS YOU READ THIS STORY, NOTICE HOW THE "MEMBERS" and the "TWU UNION" ARE ALWAYS REFERENCED AS TWO DIFFERENT GROUPS????????

Monday April 12, 5:54 PM EDT

By Jon Herskovitz

DALLAS, April 12 (Reuters) - Southwest Airlines (LUV) said on Monday it wants the union representing its flight attendants to show the rank and file a contract offer from the low-fare carrier to help complete long-simmering talks on a new deal.

The airline and the union -- the only major labor group at the airline that has not reached a new contract -- have been in talks for almost two years on a new deal. Federal mediators have also been called in to help with the talks, which are currently in recess.

A Southwest spokeswoman said the deal submitted by the airline in February offers significant pay increases.

A member of the union negotiating team said Southwest has tried to broach its contract proposal directly to union members to force the union's hand. The union thinks it should wait to show its members a tentative deal struck by both sides, for which the rank and file could then vote.

Ginger Hardage, a Southwest spokeswoman, said in an interview that most senior flight attendants would see a 21 percent increase in pay over the course of the contract, which runs through 2008, while some junior flight attendants would see a 111 percent increase over the course of the deal.

"We are asking that they see the contract. We believe that with the level of increases that they would be getting, they would want the contract to take effect as soon as possible," Hardage said.

Cindy Ritner, a member of the negotiating team for Transport Workers Union Local 556, disputed the figures.

Labor talks at Southwest, although sometimes heated, have typically been marked by less acrimony than such talks at other airlines. Some people within and outside the company said the talks between Southwest and the flight attendants are presenting a challenge to the culture at the carrier.

Last week the union sent Southwest Chief Executive Jim Parker a letter that said it was willing to return to the bargaining table to discuss a new contract, but the union feels the airline appears to have given up on negotiations.

The union has said it is looking for increases comparable to what other labor groups reached with the carrier, which it said ranged between 6 percent and 7.5 percent per year.

NEVER FORGET, WITH AMFA, MEMBERS OBSERVE NEGOTIATIONS!

You keep bringing up how AMFA let's the membersviewnegoiations. Does that mean that the member's at NWA watched as AMFA negoiated away 50% of their jobs.

TWU Jim said:
You keep bringing up how AMFA let's the membersviewnegoiations. Does that mean that the member's at NWA watched as AMFA negoiated away 50% of their jobs.
And the TWU does not negotiate away jobs?

How many stations no longer have maintenance because the TWU transferred R&D to Fleet?

How many A&Ps were displaced from the shops in 95?

As far as the TWU is concerned if they pay dues, they dont care who gets the work. So how does this ideology help our profession? It doesnt.

We need a union that will fight for us, not just more dues payers.

Why is it we only see the TWU fighting for the members in Negotiations at this time? It seems that amfa has three contracts being descussed at this time with no indications they are even close to a TA?

SW flight Attendants have taken the fight to the media to try and get SW management to open the talks again! I believe it will go down to a 30 day cooling off period before a settlement is reached!

cio,

SW flight Attendants have taken the fight to the media to try and get SW management to open the talks again! I believe it will go down to a 30 day cooling off period before a settlement is reached!

Why didn't the twu take our fight to the media? Would that have made the twu look stupid after they promised a FULL REVOTE and then not give it? I'm sure the twu would settle after a 30 day cooling off period at SWA because everyone knows the twu would NEVER strike to protect their membership.

Why is it we only see the TWU fighting for the members in Negotiations at this time?

You typed the wrong word here cio. It is, "Why is it we only see the twu fighting AGAINST the members in negotiations at this time?"

GO AMFA! :D

Ken MacTiernan said:
cio,

Why didn't the twu take our fight to the media? Would that have made the twu look stupid after they promised a FULL REVOTE and then not give it? I'm sure the twu would settle after a 30 day cooling off period at SWA because everyone knows the twu would NEVER strike to protect their membership.

Why is it we only see the TWU fighting for the members in Negotiations at this time?

You typed the wrong word here cio. It is, "Why is it we only see the twu fighting AGAINST the members in negotiations at this time?"

Ken, what part of a looming deadline, running out of cash to operate in bankruptcy don't you want to understand?

I have not seen a rebuttal to Jim Little's letter that in the end only the crew chief's vote was messed up and they ultmately had a 50% or so voteing call in. I think that the 3000 are assuming the position of urban legend. When they should be a warning sign for any future telephone voting. The judge did lean with the first vote I believe, so he would most likely have ruled against a delay for a re-vote by paper ballot also. Were you in NYC in the court room?

Ken ask the UAL people how they did with BK? Look around at companies that have gone that route, and suddenly found themselves paying cash for everything, and then ran out of cash. How much has UAL given up, how much have they wasted on legal costs and the are no jobs to show for it, no jobs to come back to either.

J7915

I have not seen a rebuttal to Jim Little's letter that in the end only the crew chief's vote was messed up and they ultmately had a 50% or so voteing call in. I think that the 3000 are assuming the position of urban legend. When they should be a warning sign for any future telephone voting. The judge did lean with the first vote I believe, so he would most likely have ruled against a delay for a re-vote by paper ballot also. Were you in NYC in the court room?

Ken ask the UAL people how they did with BK? Look around at companies that have gone that route, and suddenly found themselves paying cash for everything, and then ran out of cash. How much has UAL given up, how much have they wasted on legal costs and the are no jobs to show for it, no jobs to come back to either.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is people like you that need to put on a blue shirt and tie. You wouldnt fight for 2 dollars if someone would give you one. In order to get a decent wage you have to fight for it. Yes UAL lost jobs but a UAL mechanic is still getting more per hour than you are. It is people like you that bring this profession down to the point where its not worth the pay for the responsibility. We should be making close to what a pilot makes but if your not good enough then you leave the profession. Im here to stay and fight for a decent and respectful wage. You my friend can roll over at the next vote :ph34r:

Well Anthony, if a member so desires to "roll over" at the next vote then so be it, it is HIS VOTE, it's called a democratic system.
Im here to stay and fight for a decent and respectful wage. You my friend can roll over at the next vote
Anthony, I think the key word here is stay. the UAL mechanics on furlough are at 100% loss of pay, well done my good man.

TIME FOR CHANGE said:
J7915

It is people like you that need to put on a blue shirt and tie. You wouldnt fight for 2 dollars if someone would give you one. In order to get a decent wage you have to fight for it. Yes UAL lost jobs but a UAL mechanic is still getting more per hour than you are. It is people like you that bring this profession down to the point where its not worth the pay for the responsibility. We should be making close to what a pilot makes but if your not good enough then you leave the profession. Im here to stay and fight for a decent and respectful wage. You my friend can roll over at the next vote :ph34r:
Yes UAL lost jobs but a UAL mechanic is still getting more per hour than you are.It is people like you that bring this profession down to the point where its not worth the pay for the responsibility.

Unfortunately it is people like you with your holier-than-thou attitude that will erode the profession of the mechanic until there is nothing left of it to speak of. With your stance there will be no more jobs for American mechanics. The mechanics in Singapore will be doing your job. Heck, more of them already are thanks to AMFA!!!!

jl,

Well Anthony, if a member so desires to "roll over" at the next vote then so be it, it is HIS VOTE, it's called a democratic system.

What does the twu know about a democratic system? The twu is not democratic. As for rolling over it was jim little that rolled over and accepted concessions AFTER he was informed that the company lied to us.

The twu fears an election. Why? Because they smell defeat!

http://www.aflcio.org/corporateamerica/pay...ity/case_aa.cfm

Check out the link. AMR CEOs keep getting richer thanks to the twu concessions they reap the benefits.

But thats OK you will all work for a dollar instead of fighting for two.

Vote for AMFA bring some respect back to your profession. If you stay with the twu preoare for the next round of concessions. They will let you work for peanuts so long as every one has a job.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TWUER
The mechanics in Singapore will be doing your job. Heck, more of them already are thanks to AMFA!!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The above quote is impossible because the twu has lowered the standards at AA so much that we now are the cheapest labor in the industry wake up jackass look at that pay check why would work get farmed out when we can do it cheaper in house. Like I said you would rather work for a dollar then fight to earn two.
:blink:

Let us pray...
Let us pray for the likes of CIO, twuer, johnny lunchbox, j7915 and the rest of their ilk...For when presented with the truth, they chose to ignore it and remain in TWU darkness...They support a union which has set back the labor movement 50 years, cuts secret deals with management and continuosly conspires with management to destroy the AMT profession...first with the junior mechanic scam, then srp scam and now the osm scam...It is not too late for the twu sheep to repent!...
REPENT I say!...leave your wicked company suck butt, back satabbing, drunkard punk twu ways and come to the light of AMFA!

Father Guido Sarducci said:
Let us pray...
Let us pray for the likes of CIO, twuer, johnny lunchbox, j7915 and the rest of their ilk...For when presented with the truth, they chose to ignore it and remain in TWU darkness...They support a union which has set back the labor movement 50 years, cuts secret deals with management and continuosly conspires with management to destroy the AMT profession...first with the junior mechanic scam, then srp scam and now the osm scam...It is not too late for the twu sheep to repent!...
REPENT I say!...leave your wicked company suck butt, back satabbing, drunkard punk twu ways and come to the light of AMFA!
And there again, another holier-than-thou attitude, literally!!

And such names. . .you should be ashamed of yourself "father". Maybe it's time for you to repent! :shock:

Let us pray...
Let us pray for twuer..who remains uncontrite and cannot accept truth of what he is...twuer does not see the love in my words...albeit tough love...remember twuer, tough love is better than no love at all... The truth does sting and the sooner you come to terms with your wicked TWU ways, the sooner you will come to detest them... For twuers redemption, we pray... B)