TWU's Silence is deafening!

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
American Airline managers under fire

By Anna Marie Kukec

Daily Herald Business Writer

The union representing about 18,000 flight attendants for American Airlines is planning an informational picket on April 17 to protest massive bonuses earmarked for senior managers.

But the union, which represents about 3,000 employees in the Chicago area, is still grappling with the city over a picketing permit.

The city Department of Aviation Monday granted the group permission, but said only six people could distribute literature and only three at a time.

“The department is still playing games,†said Association of Professional Flight Attendants spokeswoman Dana Davis. The union plans to seek legal counsel regarding its First Amendment rights, Davis said.

The union plans to picket airports in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Dallas; Washington, D.C.; St. Louis; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; New York, Miami and at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport.

“We had no problems getting permits in other cities, but the Department of Aviation has been throwing Code Orange lingo at us,†Davis said.

American flight attendants are upset that more than 800 top managers will divide about $200 million in bonuses, union officials said. The payout is based on the AMR Corp. stock price at the close of April 18, so that amount could fluctuate. The $200 million is an estimate based on the current stock price, which is $32.23.

Chief Executive Officer Gerard Arpey could get around $7 million in stock, said Davis.

Last year, three unions, including the flight attendants, filed a grievance regarding the payouts and it was changed to an all stock payout from a cash/stock combination, said Davis.

The city, which overseas O’Hare, has its own regulations based on federal standards when dishing out permits for protests. The airport has been on Code Orange alert since last August, said Wendy Abrams, spokeswoman for the city’s Department of Aviation.

“Any time a group is gathered in a public part of the airport, and there’s a heightened state of alert, we need to restrict such activities,†said Abrams.

However, she said the city doesn’t want to restrict the union’s First-Amendment voice.

Airline officials declined comment on the permit issue.

“American Airlines values and respects the contributions that our flight attendants and pilots make every day caring for our customers,†said spokesman Tim Smith. “We expect that the unions will respect the law and they’re free to express their opinions as they see fit.â€

Arpey’s April payout for the 2004-06 performance is based on shareholder returns and achievement of corporate objectives and hasn’t been set yet, said American spokesman Andy Backover.

<_< ---- Wake up people! If this is an example of the kind of Union that's supposed to be representing you, what do you think will happen when they try and negotiate a Contract for you next year?---- Where are you Mr.Little? ----In Management's back pocket? From the post below, I'de say we know the answeer to that one!--- ;)

TWU's silence is deafening?

Nonsense.

The TWU is teaming up with the company for a joint ad campaign:

American Airlines, Transport Workers Union Launch Joint Ad Campaign

Tuesday April 10, 12:31 pm ET

Advertising Reflects Strength of American as Contract Aircraft Maintenance Provider

FORT WORTH, Texas, April 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines and the Transport Workers Union (TWU), representing the airline's maintenance workers, today unveiled a new print advertising campaign that focuses on the airline's ability to transform itself into a world-class aircraft maintenance provider.

In addition to the $100 million investment in the American Airlines Maintenance Services group approved in late March by the AMR Board of Directors, American is investing further with advertising targeted at potential customers. The ad campaign, which breaks today, is part of American's ongoing efforts to generate awareness of, and build, its contract maintenance business.

The campaign underscores American's commitment to its Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) business and its effort to achieve the right balance between investment in this business and the need for continued financial improvement, both in terms of revenue growth and cost reduction.

"We are changing the way we are doing business, not only for our external customers, but in how we work with our employees and union partners," said Bob Reding, American's Senior Vice President - Technical Operations. "The only way this transformation will succeed is by engaging and taking advantage of the experience, knowledge and ingenuity of our talented workforce. This is why this ad campaign will focus on our front-line M&E employees -- they are the reason for our current and future success as a leading MRO provider."

The initial advertisement will appear in newspapers in markets such as Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Tulsa, Okla., and other U.S. cities. The ad will appear in leading aircraft and aviation trade magazines throughout the summer. The ad features an aircraft maintenance technician working in day-to-day activities and reiterates that by streamlining costs and improving efficiencies, American is able to offer customers a one-stop shop for all their maintenance requirements.

"American's vision is to become the premier North American MRO provider, and this ad campaign captures the main reason this is possible -- the dedication and hard work of TWU members," said John M. Conley, International Representative and AA System Coordinator, TWU. "We decided early on to minimize uncertainty, and together recognized that our future would be far more predictable by continuing down that path. When you look at our achievements and the reputation we have built, we are well on our way to becoming a world-class MRO."

For the past three years, American and the TWU have been working together to transform the airline's maintenance organization from a cost center to a profit center. Using the rigorous principles of Continuous Improvement, the maintenance team has increased efficiencies, reduced costs and significantly enhanced operations.

In 2006, American generated more than $95 million in third-party revenue and set a goal to increase that amount by the end of 2007 to $175 million, not including $225 million of engine overhaul work performed for customer airlines by Texas Aero Engine Services Limited (TAESL), a joint venture between American and Rolls-Royce.

American Airlines Maintenance Services offers a full line of airframe, engine, component and line maintenance services and customizes those services to meet the specific needs of each client. American's MRO business has a growing customer base of more than 70 different entities ranging from domestic and international airlines to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) to the U.S. military.

Learn more about American Airlines Maintenance Services by visiting http://www.mroaa.com .

About The Transport Workers Union
The Transport Workers Union of America (TWU) is an international union representing more than 130,000 workers employed in commercial aviation, rail, and public transportation, including 27,000 American Airlines employees. TWU represents more workers at American than any other union. The union is affiliated with the AFL-CIO.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070410/datu027.html?.v=98

This oughtta be good for some fireworks around here. B)

Well finally a response, apparently the twu asked for more stock options(hush money)and got bitched slapped by their pajama party friends who they trust. :shock:

Letter sent from TWU to all AA Locals - April 09, 2007
On April 18, 2007, the Compensation Committee of the AMR Board of Directors will grant awards to approximately 874 Officers and key employees. The awards are purported to provide greater incentive to select members of Management compelling them to achieve the highest level of individual “performance.â€￾
http://www.twu.org/divisions/air/pdfs/AAST...%204-9-07_1.pdf

Formal Response from AA - April 09, 2007
http://www.twu.org/divisions/air/pdfs/AARE...oposalLtr_3.pdf

TWU Request for Option Review - March 13, 2007
The Transport Workers Union requests that the AMR Board of Directors, through the appropriate Committee, conduct a review of the 2003 Employee Stock Incentive Plan (ESIP) based on the facts set forth below.
http://www.twu.org/divisions/air/pdfs/TWUR...ew3-13-07_2.pdf

They now claim that we should join the pilots rally because they have no plans for one.
http://www.twu.org/divisions/air/pdfs/APARALLY4-6-07.pdf

Well finally a response, apparently the twu asked for more stock options(hush money)and got bitched slapped by their pajama party friends who they trust.

Even though it didn't work, even I have to give the TWU a credit for taking a different approach and trying to gain something for the employees. I also credit them for doing it diplomatically, and not using it as a photo op.

They now claim that we should join the pilots rally because they have no plans for one.

I think your assessment is a little unfair here. The pilots had already organized their rally, and it's going to get a lot more media attention this way.

That's a smart move, regardless of which union came up with the idea to begin with.

Show that unity to enough people on the 6pm nightly news, and the court of public opinion will rule accordingly.

Well finally a response, apparently the twu asked for more stock options(hush money)and got bitched slapped by their pajama party friends who they trust. :shock:
http://www.twu.org/divisions/air/pdfs/APARALLY4-6-07.pdf

The TWU can go a screw themselves. If my union doesn’t have the balls to stand up and say no, they are worthless. All the TWU did by trying to get this deal was saying it was ok for a select few to get bounces.

The lack of fighting by my union and having other unions doing their fighting for them has made my mind up for the 18th . I will not be supporting any picket line or any protest. I will be at work moving A/C to the best of my ability.

The TWU doesn't do anything you gripe, they do something and you still gripe. What the hell do you want, heads on platters??? No matter WHAT happens you will NEVER be happy. We all know that, I don't know why you waste your time.

I sure as hell don't see you complainers doing much of anything. Oh, except for griping and complaining...pretty much the norm. Kind of like calling the kettle black, don't you think?

The TWU can go a screw themselves. If my union doesn’t have the balls to stand up and say no, they are worthless. All the TWU did by trying to get this deal was saying it was ok for a select few to get bounces.

The lack of fighting by my union and having other unions doing their fighting for them has made my mind up for the 18th . I will not be supporting any picket line or any protest. I will be at work moving A/C to the best of my ability.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ch53D,

Oh there are current(AA AMT/FSC) union member with BALLS, but the problem is that the vast majority of AMT members are in TULSA. TUL= NO BALLS(just as AA likes it)

The vast majority of FSC's are in DFW. DFW = NO BALLS(just as AA likes it)

The SPINELESS Jim Little(and associates) simply sit back, and respond(after contracts are voted on).."that the (majority) of our membership has spoken"

The ONLY(AND I MEAN "ONLY") recourse that our members have, to get the Twu's ATTENTION, is to SLOW DOWN legally(Known as "work to rule").

I've sais this(on here) a ZILLION times, so I'll say it a ZILLION and "1" times,.........This is why AA relocated to Texass/Okie-homa), from New York city. AA knew that if things(twu) were being run from NY, that half of this lopsided #### would NEVER get accomplished, because the Twu "leaders" would have to "ANSWER" to it members IMMEDIATELY !! (I mean, do you realize what a set of good tires, plus taxes costs in NY,...Especially when you quite possibly would have to replace them, on a WEEKLY basis ?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Look at twu local 100(NY subway), to see the "STARK" difference.

NH/BB's

The TWU doesn't do anything you gripe, they do something and you still gripe. What the hell do you want?

Oh, something like fighting to get back the pay and benefits that were taken from us. That would be a fair start.

Something like letting us elect our leaders and vote on our contracts.

Something like "leading by example" or "shared sacrifice" wherein our union leaders would have their pay and benefits cut to the same degree as ours were.

Little things like that.

The TWU doesn't do anything you gripe, they do something and you still gripe. What the hell do you want, heads on platters??? No matter WHAT happens you will NEVER be happy. We all know that, I don't know why you waste your time.
I sure as hell don't see you complainers doing much of anything. Oh, except for griping and complaining...pretty much the norm. Kind of like calling the kettle black, don't you think?

The upper crust gets bonuses and the twu goes to them groveling for a few more shares of stock.

The company basically tells the twu to get bent.

The twu comes out with a letter saying its not right what they are doing but keep the faith we will get them next time.

I have been hearing the same twu rhetoric for well over 15 years.
And every year the only ones who make out no matter what the membership gives up is management.

Its the same story year after year.

What is there to be happy about bill.
Why shouldnt we #### and complain?

Are you going to give me the twu favorite
"your lucky to have a job"

We are fed up and have been for years.
When the twu negotiates a contract that does not have some sort of concessionary language in it Thats when I will be happy.

if I had to put money on it I'd bet it will never happen and I will never be happy.

I will stay here though and make sure no one forgets how the twu keeps selling us down the river while upper management keeps rolling in the dough. Reminding everybody that goes the extra step how we lost a weeks vacation, holiday pay, overtime pay, increased medical, sick time , IOD time,etc etc etc...

I sure as hell don't see you complainers doing much of anything

What the hell more do you want the 20K a year wasnt enough.
Or do you want more money saving ideas even though we get nothing for it.
How about doing more work with less people that didnt help either.

I think the only ones not doing anything about the current situation is you bill

:D

I was just told that the Bob Redding/Don Videtich "All Smoke" show reached DFW this morning and was abruptly canceled after a very heated discussion with some of the AMT's. Seems Bob wants more concessions if we want anything returned. A one for one style negotiation, you know; if you want money, we get your benefits, etc., etc. So much for the buffet style negotiations that the twu local 565 president is bragging about, be lucky to see a salad bar with this union.

So much for the buffet style negotiations that the twu local 565 president is bragging about, be lucky to see a salad bar with this union.

Videtich and the other TWU mucky mucks do not go through the same food line as the troops.

It's still IGM.

Back