Ual Mechs Vote No, Authorize Strike

Busdrvr,Jan 30 2005, 05:44 AM]

"The Samurai, in a fit of honor and integrity charge the new Imperial Japanese Army and their machine guns. Of course, they are slaughtered. They sure were honorable, but it didn't make them any less dead."

Well the mechanics wont die, they at worst will simply roll their boxes out the door and start working other jobs.

Reminds me of Galipoli (sp?)... Maybe I was in a differant military, but if a U.S. combatant commander needlessly led his troops on a suicide mission, I think we'd shoot him....

And if a combattant commander refused to fight at all he would probably be shot. So far no union has fought back. The members see this and the few union leaders who can be held accountable will be in due time for their cowardice.

This is just too comical to even get upset or angry about. And trust me on this, I honestly don't care at this point, my family will continue to eat. I'd just like to know what the HE11 you guys are thinking?!

Their families will eat too, I've been in contact with several mechanics that have been RIFed over the last couple of years, they ALL have found work and most are not coming back. They say they hads enough of all the BS and working nights, weekends and holidays.

First you got all hot and bothered about the pilots "negotiating" for you, now I bet you'll expect them to (ie honor an illegal strike).

What would make the strike illegal? The RLA is clear that workers can strike in the case of a major dispute where the company changes pay or working conditions.

Let me ask you something. If UAL folded tomorrow, would Glenn lose his home? If UAL folded, would Brace be unable to send his kids to college? If UAL folds, will McDonald take his life in dispare? You think it WILL happen to some of your "brothers"? It will.

Doubtful, you have to remember that mechanics bought homes based upon their pay, pay which they can get outside this industry.

Even worse, there's a pretty good chance that the company will say "strike, I DARE YOU", fire everyone who doesn't show, crush the AMFA, and put set it's power back about 50 years.

Thats a chance that workers always take when they choose to fight back. To me the risk and the setback is greater by not fighting back. If they accept these terms havent they set themselves back 50 years anyway?

How many U mechs are out of work? How many former UAL mechs are out of work? Do you expect guys to honor an illegal picket line? No one can "make you work", but they can fire you if you don't show. Do you lose all remaining company benefits then? Who do you think will pay the ultimate price? Is there a big market for Cabin cleaners out there?

What is that? An attempt to divide and conquer?

All the guys from the other companies high fiving you is even richer. What's the headcount of mechanics to jets at all those other places that claim to be "holding the line"?

I think that we are all high fiving them for doing what we wish we could have convinced our overhaul guys to do-SAY NO.

It's not about "payscales", it's about PAYROLLS.

To the unions is is because its not about how much the members earn but how much dues they supply to the union. This industry was always marked by huge swings in employment, unions used to maintain the wage and take the layoffs.

you think if UAL went away,

Do you think UAL will go away? Didnt Bush say that he could not allow the mechanics to strike in 2001 because they provided an essential service?

all those nearly new 320's and 777's will go to some wonderfully benevolent company who wants to hire up all the AMT's to keep em fixed? Or do you think some of them will be bought by someone who will bring in a minimal number of guys at year one wages, send all the heavy to El Salvador, and put even MORE pressure on industry Mech wages. Good luck guys, you're gonna need it....

And if the mechanics give in again what would prevent all that from happening anyway? If you really want to help the airlines and you think the mechanics have it so good why dont you convince all the pilots to work for mechanics wages? If they did I'm sure UAL would get all the savings they need. After all how much do the pilots at regional carriers make? The compensation disparity between pilots at major and regionals is much greater than the compensation disparity mechanics at these two classes of airlines.

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
Busdrvr,Winglet, what are you gonna do when Robotic piloted airliners are used to outsource the ALPA? If you think it won't happen, THINK AGAIN! It's gonna happen and there is nothing the "untouchable" ALPA can do about it! The ALPA has stepped over other unions picket lines so many times that many people,including me, consider the ALPA a management collaborating scab union. When the ALPA goes on strike to stop robotic airliner outsourcing,who is going to come to your aid?
[post="243679"][/post]​

What'll I do? Well, I guess I'll just keep having to do what I'm doing. One thing for sure, I won't be a pax on any airplane that doesn't have human pilot.

As far as ALPA goes, they can (fill in the blank) themselves. They're just a bunch of greedy, cheap, self-serving (fill in the blank) just like the corporate executives. If you're expecting anything except cheap talk from a pilots' union, you going to be disappointed.

UVN,

I was talking about the airbus outsourcing, nothing to do with this concessionary final offer.

Having a comprehension problem this morning?

700UW said:
UVN,

I was talking about the airbus outsourcing, nothing to do with this concessionary final offer.

[post="243745"][/post]​

You talk about the mechanics not having the gonads to fight, didnt they reject the very first round of concessions? How did you and your classification of workers vote on the pre-BK concessions?

By the way, at my Local the mechanics voted NO by over 90%.

The other classifications voted yes.

700UW said:
UVN,

[post="243745"][/post]​

I stand corrected.. though I stand by my two cents comment regarded the concess final offer.

The Ronin said:
Only heard of one example of this...Chesty Puller's march from the Chosin Reservoir when the Army buckled and ran leaving him surrounded and alone with the Chinese bent on destroying him....but then again, I doubt you'd remember men of such metal....
[post="243612"][/post]​

SSgt. Stuber made sure we all knew about Gen. Puller. You're right, it is hard to forget a man of such mettle.

However, I am reminded of another military person when I think about the arrogance with which AMFA would take us all down, and that's George A. Custer. You guys have way too much confidence that you'll come out ahead and all that is in front of you is a box canyon surrounded by enemies.

DCT JVL said:
SSgt. Stuber made sure we all knew about Gen. Puller. You're right, it is hard to forget a man of such mettle.

However, I am reminded of another military person when I think about the arrogance with which AMFA would take us all down, and that's George A. Custer. You guys have way too much confidence that you'll come out ahead and all that is in front of you is a box canyon surrounded by enemies.
[post="243772"][/post]​
SO DIE ON YOUR KNEES LIKE A COWARD :shock:

DCT JVL said:

[post="243772"][/post]​
Once again...I REITERATE....I do not believe anyone thinks we will come out ahead!!! This is NOT about a better deal, can't you understand that! This is not about AMFA taking anyone "down". Hell, this isn't even making a stand. Enough is enough, for me at least. And if my friends walk, I walk with them. Not in a picket line...whats the point...we walk into a new life, for better or worse. BUT THESE A**HOLES CAN KISS MY ASS BEFORE I SUBSIDIZE ONE MORE FIASCO THAT ONLY RESULTS IN THE PAIN AND SUFFERING OF THOSE AROUND ME!!!! THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THEIR INEPTITUDE AND YOU CHASTISE ME FOR ARROGANCE???

OK, so you won't come out ahead. I understand that much. Now I'm even more confused. I am as tired as you are of subsidizing ineptitude, but as another post mentioned earlier, who do you plan to punish by going on strike? Glenn Tilton, Jake Brace? They don't care. Their golden parachutes will help them land safely. You complain that these "A**holes" (an apt term with which I agree) are causing the pain and suffering of those around you. What exactly do you think a strike will cause? Joy and happiness?

You say, "enough is enough, for me at least". OK then. If you've had enough, you are allowed to quit at any time. As you've noted before, nobody can make you come to work. At some point, if this continues, this job will no longer be worth it for me, and I'll take my services elsewhere. But believe it or not, there is still enough here to keep me working. Apparently there isn't enough for you. Make your own decision. Just do me a favor and don't take me with you.

Although I don't care much for the IAM, AMFA, or their members, I see where they are coming from on this. It's not as easy as "if you don't like it then quit." AMFA members have given (as we all have) and been outsourced to what avail? With all the cuts and changes that have been made UAL still had the second largest loss for the quarter.

It's tough when you see friends laid off, friends file for bankruptcy, or when you lose your house. It makes it even harder when you see an ineffective management group giving themselves large bonuses when you have been repeatedly raped over the last several years.

I support AMFA on this, and I will also support AFA should they choose to make a stand. If it kills UAL, so be it. If you folks think that this last round of concessions is the end of the race to the bottom you are deluding yourselves. Somebody has to say enough. I'm just sorry that it wasn't ALPA.

Busdrvr said:
Yup, reminds me of the Mechs support of the pilots in 1985.... :down:
[post="243799"][/post]​

Busdrvr,
It was not 'only' the mechs that crossed your picket line, it was the entire IAM populace. :down:

It is a sad day when a 'union' allows this to happen by having language in the contract to not honor picket lines. The IAM had the same language in the ESOP contract as well, and if memory serves me corrrectly, so did ALPA.

737nCH11,
Thanks for your support!!! :up:

Take Care,
B) UT

usairways_vote_NO said:
And thats just it you are leaving nothing to fight for. You want to surrender to 2010 with a strategic plan to regroup at that later date hoping against all hope that the tide has changed favorable to you? I have to agree you are a coward. For you to tell the troops who decided to fight the battle that they have lost is most cowardace. You have to remember just because you seem to be losing a battle it doesn't mean you have lost it. Bullies take cowards money time after time because they know they are afraid of them. Its when you fight back and give resistance that you can stop him from coming back time after time and then make him come up with a different way to get what he wants. In this case hopefully deciding to run a more efficient company to make up the differense. You rather give him everything and hope you don't see him for six years when in reality whenhe is done spending your money he will return because he knows you are afraid and will give it up willingly.
[post="243697"][/post]​

You obviously don't understand how it works or a fool for thinking you can stop other management @other company from asking for concessions if they're in a dire financial situation. The last time an airline company got permission to abrogate a CBA they imposed a drastic wage and benefits cuts which amounted to 50-60% paycuts. A lot of employees quit and new employees took their place because they didn't have to recall laid off employees since there is no more union. That airline is still flying today and is one of the healthier company today. Also there's not even a guarantee that we are allowed to strike since there is no contract or no union if the contract is abrogated(why would you need a union if the contract is abrogated or pay union dues if management can impose whatever they feel is necessary after they get the contract abrogated) A lot of people don't understand that a company under bankruptcy protection has a lot of leverage. A lot of people don't bother going to the Union meetings to get information so they can make the right decision, I know people who thinks they will just go back to renegotiate. Some people who goes to the meeting don't believe what they hear(especially when we had the IAM here but that didn't change much after AMFA took over). AMFA did a good job of trying to mitigate the damage, we would've taken the lowest paycut of all the employee groups but that's nothing but a waste now that is rejected. I know AMFA's policy is not tell people which way to vote but maybe they should let their feelings known, especially for people who don't go to the meetings.

Back