Ual Pilot Recalls Announced

iflyjetz

Senior
Oct 2, 2002
Here's Capt Forte's message:

ALPA Code a phone will be updated shortly

Good morning. This is Captain Steve Forte on Thursday, September 2.

I am pleased to report that we will begin recalling furloughed pilots on November 1. The recalls will begin modestly – with 40 total by the end of the year. Pilots will be notified by mail of the exact date of their return.

This recall comes in response to an increase in pilot hours, normal employee attrition and projected retirements. This gradual start-up will allow us to train pilots and staff flights efficiently while maintaining a smooth transition for our employees returning to the line. We expect that some recalled pilots will be back flying for United as early as December.

In addition to the recalls, we recently posted 95 new bids, creating opportunities in both the captain and first officer ranks to move to more senior positions. The bids close on September 6.

We’re continuing to evaluate manpower needs for next year, in an environment that keeps shifting rapidly. I’ll have information about recalls for 2005 later this year and will share it with you as quickly as it’s available. In the meantime, we are increasing capacity at the Flight Training Center so that we are ready for our returning pilots in November and beyond.

As someone who’s been furloughed in the past, I appreciate what this development means for our furloughed pilots and for our company at large. I look forward to personally welcoming our recalled pilots back to the property and sincerely appreciate the hard work that all of you are doing day-in and day-out to keep our operation strong.

iflyjetz:

That's some needed good news for United and its employees during these difficult times.

But I suspect that it will ruin "mrfish's" day today! :p

Cosmos,

This isn't stellar news for UniTED. They are only recalling pilots and F/A'S for people who have retired or have left UAL. Remeber they are still going to AXE 6000 more jobs and will STILL come looking for MORE wage concessions. SO no the news hasn't ruined my day.

Best thing you all can hope for is that Wiedoff listens to your unions and gets rid of your defunct management team. I do wish you all the best of luck, you the employees are not the ones that have screwed UAL up time after time. Your just the ones who always have to pay the price, it is sad.

Cosmo said:
iflyjetz:

That's some needed good news for United and its employees during these difficult times.

But I suspect that it will ruin "mrfish's" day today! :p
[post="175357"][/post]​

cosmo,
sssshhhhh he is reading this right now. I sure hope he dosen't get toooooo mad at your insinuation. I think he comes here because Frnt. really doesn't have a board of it's own. They are lumped together with other message boards who don't seem to give him his due.
You would think Frnt should rate it's own board.

shucks, he went and posted in front of me.
Well it is good to see he only wants the management to fail and not the employees. That sure makes me feel better. Maybe he will cancel one of Frnt's trips to make sure we survive.

Strange thought one of the reason they were recalling was because of the increase in Intl flying. But I guess fish doesn't follow flying that leaves the Americas. It is outside of his myopic world.

mrfish3726 said:
This isn't stellar news for UniTED. They are only recalling pilots and F/A'S for people who have retired or have left UAL.
Nope, not true. While some of these recalls are undoubtedly to cover retirements and attrition, the majority are to staff the new flights that United has been announcing recently. Perhaps you didn't notice that United is beginning daily nonstop ORD-PVG, ORD-EZE, SFO-PVR, DEN-PVR and DEN-CUN flights, among others, this Fall and Winter. That's the main reason for the recalls, and even you should be able to comprehend it.

mrfish3726 said:
Remeber they are still going to AXE 6000 more jobs and will STILL come looking for MORE wage concessions.
While nothing official has been announced, everything I've read indicates that most of these job cuts will be currently unfilled positions, retirements or attrition over a two- or three-year period. But I don't truly know what's going to happen and (here's the important part -- read carefully) NEITHER DO YOU! You certainly haven't seen the new plan that United's management is about to present to its Board, so you're simply trying to instill fear in the hearts of the United employees, both active and furloughed. IMHO, that's just sick. The clear reality is that you're nothing more than a sad, pathetic wind-up artist that aspires to be an armchair airline CEO wannabe!

mrfish3726 said:
SO no the news hasn't ruined my day.
Well, if you really knew anything about the actual operation of an airline beyond which end of a wrench to hold in your hand, it should have ruined your day!

Way to go Cosmo! You are right on. I've perceived the same thing from what I have read that the 6000 cuts will be over time which will cover the 6 year business plan to be presented to Wedoff by the end of September. In reading between the lines, though, these jobs will come from natural attrition, retirements and outsourcing. The employees who are outsourced may still have a job but under the new outsourced company.

Then I'll cheer you up Mr Fish.....maintenance is getting layoff notices now and all affected will be notifiied by Sept 9 to be effective Oct 2. Union guys came around and gave a big show last night. More to come, 15 yrs+ and to the street. Too bad we don't have any fighters, most just want it over with. I keep telling them, wildcat and we bury this pig now. They want us all to leave, fine, THEN LETS ALL LEAVE :up:

Oh...BTW....this is just the first round....and just in time for the holidays... :up:

Ronin,

Sorry to hear that, they have no reguard for any of the folks who have given so much only to be treated like crap. I would have gladly wildcated UAL anytime that I worked there. But, no one had the balls or the backing of the spineless IAM when they were there. I guess AMFA is no better? Of course I expect that UAL will tawnt that the guys can go apply at one of the UAL managed OSV's RIGHT? Funny how they still employee the management of UAL at the OSV's. So I guess Fred Moore will get some business again after AAP opens the IMC again this winter.

Cosmos/Novaqt,

6000 more lay-offs through attrition huh??? Tell that to the Mechanics ranks that are getting their furlough notices as you post those dreams. They are just the start, there will be MORE to come. Wish my mechanic breathren the very best! It's a shame what UAL thinks of the mechanics ranks at UniTED.

mrfish3726 said:
<They are only recalling pilots and F/A'S for people who have retired or have left UAL.>

Actually mrfish that isn't correct. Despite what our Senior VP of Flight Ops said in yesterday's press release, ALL of these recalls are to fill vacancy's that currently exist. What's more, the company is forcast to be short of 320 F/O's (by a BUNCH!) and unless they recalled they'd have to face cancelling flying. Not what one wants to do in a high revenue month of March.

What has happened is UAL management over-reached in it's furloughs and the cut back of training at DENTK. What is happening now is an all out effort to crank up the training center in an effort to salvage both the existing vacancies as well as the possibility of additional training should a wave of early retirements occur due to pilot fears of the pension fund being terminated.

Bottom line, there's a lot more to this than what is being put out over the wires.

Cheers,
Z B)

Ronin:

I'm truly sorry to hear about these layoffs. Do you know the number of layoffs that are planned for the mechanics? What's the explanation? Is it simply that management wants to outsource the work because they think it can be done cheaper elsewhere? Actually, I thought some work was being brought in from other carriers -- how does that fit in with this news? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Mrfish:

Re-read my post above -- I never claimed to know what was going to happen at United, I only commented on what I had read from other sources. Based on Ronin's post, it's unfortunate that layoffs do indeed appear to be a part of United's plan to make itself more efficient and exit Chapter 11. Hopefully, it will only be a small part of the upcoming plan.

That said, you repeatedly come on this board to gloat about United's troubles as if you're some great airline guru. You magnify United's problems while understating or overlooking its accomplishments, and then you have the intellectual dishonesty to do the reverse for your current employer, Frontier. You state your opinion (to which you're certainly entitled) as fact when you obviously (or at least should) know better. The truth is your comments clearly show that you know very little about how an airline really operates (outside of your little corner of the maintenance area), and you are just a wind-up artist who is an airline CEO wannabe. :angry:

It's almost enough to make me think that you're related to a certain pilot at US Airways. :p

The Ronin said:
Then I'll cheer you up Mr Fish.....maintenance is getting layoff notices now and all affected will be notifiied by Sept 9 to be effective Oct 2. Union guys came around and gave a big show last night. More to come, 15 yrs+ and to the street. Too bad we don't have any fighters, most just want it over with. I keep telling them, wildcat and we bury this pig now. They want us all to leave, fine, THEN LETS ALL LEAVE :up:

Oh...BTW....this is just the first round....and just in time for the holidays... :up:
[post="175757"][/post]​
ronin,
Aren't these layoffs due to losing some 737s that are being phased out.
You get hired when they need help and laid off when work is not there.
That is the way business works.
You are very selfish to state that position. Please just quit and let someone work who really wants too. Your attitude sucks.
Step aside for others.

mrfish3726 said:
Cosmos/Novaqt,

6000 more lay-offs through attrition huh??? Tell that to the Mechanics ranks that are getting their furlough notices as you post those dreams. They are just the start, there will be MORE to come. Wish my mechanic breathren the very best! It's a shame what UAL thinks of the mechanics ranks at UniTED.
[post="175762"][/post]​

fish,
I am so happy you do not work for Ual anymore. It is people like you that tarnish a unions good deeds and interfere with the business model needed to make money.
Attitudes like yours and ronin's ruin the teamwork nescessary to be able to achieve what the company is looking for.
Unions do have their place in the workplace, but not to protect morally bankrupt employees.
I don't think the pig has to go down, but the cancer that eats away at Ual must be cut out.

Back