700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Unions say airline won't really bargain

Workers think aim is to get bankruptcy court to break contracts

BINYAMIN APPELBAUM AND SCOTT DODD

Staff Writers

US Airways union leaders contend that they never had a real chance to negotiate new labor agreements with the airline before it filed for bankruptcy.

They say the airline's real aim was to break its union contracts in bankruptcy court, not to seek negotiated settlements.

Click here for Story

It is a free registration if needed.

Maybe the fine and hopefully eventual "Ex Senator Santorum" from Pennsylvania will read this article and maybe he will understand!!!! Oh wait a minute "but Bruce Lakefield said"!!!!!

The company is negotiating from a position of strength and the unions are not in the drivers seat as they use to be. What has changed is the fact the business model has changed and shifted from the traditional airlines to the LCC product. Southwest's model (copied from PSA and who bought PSA and PI and introduced some cool northern efficiency?) is one that works and has turned the traditional airlines on it's ears. If UAIR goes away they certainly won't be the last airline to go through these changes brought on by the LCC's. It's just a matter of time.

US Airways union leaders contend that they never had a real chance to negotiate new labor agreements with the airline before it filed for bankruptcy.

700, what is your opinion of this statement, specifically with the repetative statements you posted about the IAM not willing to go back into the contracts they signed during the last round?

I think the very fact that the IAM refused to even sit down and discuss the contract eliminates any argument they have with the judge. At least ALPA, AFA, and CWA can say we negotiated, and the company's target kept changing. They may actually have a case. The fact the IAM kept the "Concession Stand is Closed" mantra going, may come back to bite them in the arse.

N628AU said:
I think the very fact that the IAM refused to even sit down and discuss the contract eliminates any argument they have with the judge. At least ALPA, AFA, and CWA can say we negotiated, and the company's target kept changing. They may actually have a case. The fact the IAM kept the "Concession Stand is Closed" mantra going, may come back to bite them in the arse.
[post="182464"][/post]​

I do not see the IAM's position as refusing to negotiate as a whole.

The IAM offered the company ways to save $110 to 114 Million per year...and the company considers that a non-starter. Lest we forget the abitraition process with the Airbus and the lies that came with that process.

Sure the IAM said no to just opening up the contract...as they should when all of the above facts are taken into clear consideration.

Maybe you will just leave the door un-locked after having your home broken into once before....I'd prefer a better door and lock to prevent being robbed a second time.

It seems that no matter who would have talked to whom previously doesnt matter at this point. Maybe it should, maybe not, but its doesnt. Now the company gets what it wants or it shuts down and everyone loses their job. Doesnt seem like many other paths at this point. And that isnt a good negotiating position.

Yeah well, "Bum's Rush" deal notwithstanding, I'm prepared. Reluctantly though, as I rue the end of a good career, but it was becoming so obvious what all would happen with these "helmsmen" at the helm.

Most would've lost their jobs anyway due to massive furloughs from shrinkage/outsourcing in the company's plan, so that many know that even if the company survives ( as a corporate entity ) it means nothing. This is what happens when you force people into lose/lose situations.

N628AU said:
[post="182464"][/post]​

N6,

Do you really, really, really think that it would have been any different for the IAM...if they would have capitulated?

Oh, yea, than the BK judge could say..."gee, wonder why the mechanics had this same problem??? Duh?

Phantom...The dollar figure the IAM put on those proposals was as bogus as a Dan Rather fact sheet and to say they were going to save 100 million to 114 million was optimistic even from the IAM's standpoint. They had savings in that proposal for items that were more than the entire budget for that item and eliminating management positions isn't going to get them to that figure. The truth of the matter is the IAM was bloating their savings figure as much as management was bloating theirs. Conservative figures on their numbers actually had costs increasing so tell me where the savings was coming from?

Seems a lot of people are forgetting [or overlooking] the fact that management filed for bankrupcy BEFORE the AIRBUS ARBITRATION RULING is known..Could this be a reason the IAM has decided not to bother talking to management UNTIL the result of the arbitration is known ????? It would be silly for the IAM to discuss FURTHER concessions UNTIL they know IF the Airbus work is gone or here to stay..Where would any of you begin negotiating UNTIL this decision is known ????

insp89 said:
Seems a lot of people are forgetting [or overlooking] the fact that management filed for bankrupcy BEFORE the AIRBUS ARBITRATION RULING is known..Could this be a reason the IAM has decided not to bother talking to management UNTIL the result of the arbitration is known ????? It would be silly for the IAM to discuss FURTHER concessions UNTIL they know IF the Airbus work is gone or here to stay..Where would any of you begin negotiating UNTIL this decision is known ????
[post="182527"][/post]​

Perfect logic and right on point.

• Banned
Mraeroman,

Funny the company and the union met 10 days ago to further discuss the cost saving ideas and go over the dollar amount.

So please show me where the IAM or the company since that meeting have said anything to support your statements.

its my understanding that on october 7 the company has a hearing regarding a "temporary wage reduction"(1113e filing)....and if what I AM(no pun intended) told is true ..the court,if it approves it will institute a 60 day negotiating period for all labor groups affected by the temp wage reductions.and if there is no "compromise" from either side...abrogation can take place......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back