Unrestricted cash expected to be down to $3.1 billion at year end

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
In the Eagle Eye released today, AMR announced that unrestricted cash is expected to be about $3.1 billion at year end, down substantially from prior periods.

Liquidity: At the end of the third quarter 2008 we held approximately $240 million of hedge collateral from counterparties; however, due to the decline in the price of oil during the fourth quarter we expect that by the end of the fourth quarter we will have posted approximately $550 million in hedge collateral with counterparties (based on the 12/12/08 forward curve). Taking this into account, we expect to end the fourth quarter with a cash and short-term investment balance of approximately $3.6 billion, including approximately $460 million in restricted cash and short-term investments.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?...1hCUkw9MQ%3d%3d

Time for AA to find new sources of cash.

Fuel is still expensive due to hedges with floor prices (that keep AA from getting full benefit of lower prices).

In the Eagle Eye released today, AMR announced that unrestricted cash is expected to be about $3.1 billion at year end, down substantially from prior periods.

Time for AA to find new sources of cash.

Fuel is still expensive due to hedges with floor prices (that keep AA from getting full benefit of lower prices).

What you're saying is along the lines of what I've expected to hear for quite some time ($3.1 bil cash and dropping).

I really don't believe Arpey and company are very interested in saving the airline - only selling it after all value has been drained. Sounds like it's working.

Wasnt there some sort of stipulatin that we had to keep at least 5 billion of unrestricted cash on hand a while ago when this whole concession mess started.

In 2003, the covenants governing AMR's debt required that it keep $1.0 billion of unrestricted cash on hand to avoid default. Now, it's $1.25 billion:

The Credit Facility contains a covenant (the Liquidity Covenant) requiring American to maintain, as defined, unrestricted cash, unencumbered short term investments and amounts available for drawing under committed revolving credit facilities of not less than $1.25 billion for each quarterly period through the life of the Credit Facility. AMR and American were in compliance with the Liquidity Covenant as of September 30, 2008 and expect to be able to continue to comply with this covenant. In addition, the Credit Facility contains a covenant (the EBITDAR Covenant) requiring AMR to maintain a ratio of cash flow (defined as consolidated net income, before interest expense (less capitalized interest), income taxes, depreciation and amortization and rentals, adjusted for certain gains or losses and non-cash items) to fixed charges (comprising interest expense (less capitalized interest) and rentals). In May 2008, AMR and American entered into an amendment to the Credit Facility which waived compliance with the EBITDAR Covenant for periods ending on any date from and including June 30, 2008 through March 31, 2009, and which reduced the minimum ratios AMR is required to satisfy thereafter. The required ratio will be 0.90 to 1.00 for the one quarter period ending June 30, 2009 and will increase to 1.15 to 1.00 for the four quarter period ending September 30, 2010. Given fuel prices that are very high by historical standards and the volatility of fuel prices and revenues, it is difficult to assess whether the Company will be able to continue to comply with these covenants, and there are no assurances that the Company will be able to do so. Failure to comply with these covenants would result in a default under the Credit Facility which – if the Company did not take steps to obtain a waiver of, or otherwise mitigate, the default – could result in a default under a significant amount of other debt and lease obligations, and otherwise have a material adverse impact on the Company.

The only good news is that UA and DL have each had to recently deposit more than $1.1 billion with their hedge counterparties because of their underwater hedges compared to just half as much, $550 million, that AMR has had to deposit with its hedge counterparties. All airlines are suffering cash calls because of their hedges, but AMR's losses on this front so far appear smaller than its main competitors.

Got to love management that loses money when fuel high and loses more when fuel is low.

I say we double their bonus award for superior skills.

Got to love management that loses money when fuel high and loses more when fuel is low.

I say we double their bonus award for superior skills.

They definitely got caught with their pants down around their ankles on this one. They tried to do the semi-right thing (albeit too late) and it ended up backfiring. Fuel was never going to stay as high as it was and airlines, one of the largest consumers, should have known. What goes up, must come down - just like jets.

I have to say, it was a joy driving when gas was $4gal. The roads were relatively uncluttered and traffic was more at what the roads were designed for. Now that gas is back down under $2gal, people are out driving willy-nilly again.

Jet fuel was high and they added flights - gotta beat that competitor on those small station routes - can't let the little guy have squat! Now, jet fuel prices drop and the only way to save their precious executive suites is to park planes, slash capacity, and pull even more headcount out of an already struggling economy.

What they don't seem to be understanding is that when you're in a recession - and only at the front door of one, people don't have money for tickets. Flying is a luxury for most, a necessity for a few.

If the true purpose here is to strip the airline of all the copper, then walk away with laden pockets - then just give the unions what they want and get it over with. Labor will be happy for a short while and the perks-heavy executives can walk away blaming the unions for the complete and utter failure of a once great airline.

The suits can cry 'protect the investors' all they want but the truth is, they don't care about the stockholders, it's just an age-old battle cry. AMR stock hasn't paid a dividend in quite some time and I sincerely doubt it ever will again, at least, not in it's present form. AMR stock is nothing more than a day trader stock, not something you buy as a long term investment. I wonder how much of it is propping up pension funds.

If AMR wants to seriously save the airline, then close ORD. Consolidate operations into their southern hubs and the savings from thousands of de-icings a month alone would cover the bumps the unions want! Metaphorically speaking of course!

In a recession suffering economy, there is literally nowhere for labor to go. If you don't like the way the airline is run, go work somewhere else. I'm sure a part of that theory figures somewhere into the AA business model. AA is not only management heavy, they are seniority heavy as well. There are a lot of old timers that management has been unsuccessful at getting rid of. 20 years in seniority is at the low end now.

By early next summer, it won't be 3.1 billion. They'll be lucky to have point five billion and the creditors will be crying foul. -- let's hope I'm wrong on that one.

Everyone have a great weekend!

In 2003, the covenants governing AMR's debt required that it keep $1.0 billion of unrestricted cash on hand to avoid default. Now, it's $1.25 billion:

The only good news is that UA and DL have each had to recently deposit more than $1.1 billion with their hedge counterparties because of their underwater hedges compared to just half as much, $550 million, that AMR has had to deposit with its hedge counterparties. All airlines are suffering cash calls because of their hedges, but AMR's losses on this front so far appear smaller than its main competitors.

And how much is the note that that covenant is tied to for?

I think you left something out.

American's cash reserve is a vital cushion to help absorb losses during downturns. In addition to its cash on hand, the airline can also tap into $3.5 billion in unencumbered assets and other sources of money if necessary.

It's so easy for us to say that management "should have known" fuel wouldn't stay that high. BS. Lots of very smart people were predicting $200 oil by year end. If this stuff were so easy to figure out, AMR would be a commodities trading house instead of an airline.

With our cash bleeding away, this just further confirms what I've been saying for months. Pushing hard for restore and more right now will put all of our jobs in jeopardy.

It's so easy for us to say that management "should have known" fuel wouldn't stay that high. BS. Lots of very smart people were predicting $200 oil by year end. If this stuff were so easy to figure out, AMR would be a commodities trading house instead of an airline.

With our cash bleeding away, this just further confirms what I've been saying for months. Pushing hard for restore and more right now will put all of our jobs in jeopardy.

WITH OUR CASH BLEEDING AWAY???????????????????????

How about this, frontline?.....THEY SHOULD HAVE POSTPONED THEIR PUPS DURING THE BLEEDING....HOW ABOUT THAT??

THEY SHOULD HAVE POSTPONED THEIR PUPS DURING THE BLEEDING....HOW ABOUT THAT??

Ha! I suppose you think they should have to eat hamburger helper too! ;)

The airline could have been on fire and they would not have given up a chance to milk it one last time!

Greed isn't a pretty thing and AMR has some damned ugly executives at the top of the ladder!

Ha! I suppose you think they should have to eat hamburger helper too! ;)

The airline could have been on fire and they would not have given up a chance to milk it one last time!

Greed isn't a pretty thing and AMR has some damned ugly executives at the top of the ladder!

And that is why the place will burn down before concessions are agreed to this time.

It will be on fire without a change in policy.