US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman’s Message

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman’s Message - May 22, 2007

This is MEC Chairman Jack Stephan with a Chairman’s message to the pilots for Tuesday, May 22, 2007.

Today I and your MEC Officers attended ALPA’s 99th Executive Board Meeting. The Executive Board, as you know, is comprised of all 40 MEC Chairmen in the association.

The meeting began today with all four National Officers giving their reports to the board. Of particular interest was Captain Prater’s opening remarks that primarily focused on the plight of the US Airways pilots. He reminded the board that when one pilot has a problem, all pilots have a problem. Your participation in yesterday’s events galvanized that theme and I thank you for that. The Executive Council, the Executive Board and all our National officers know that they cannot leave the AAA pilots behind in their quest of taking this union back. Captain Prater also emphasized that when we take it back we need to take back from management and not from each other,

After the Officer reports we then recessed to delegate committees. I have been assigned to delegate committee #3 which is being chaired by NWA MEC Chairman, Dave Stevens. We currently have four agenda items to address:

1. Issues dealing with the structure and scope of the Strategic Preparedness and Strike Committee (SPSC)

2. The Merger Agreement with the Capital Cargo Crewmember Association

3. Size and mission of the Collective Bargaining Committee (CBC)

4. MEC ratification by mail and electronic ballot.

This afternoon we received a report from ALPA’s Blue Ribbon Panel on age 60. Other than our issue before the Executive Council, the other big ticket item before this board is definitely the age 60 issue. Due to the anticipated debate and controversy surrounding this issue, Captain Prater has extended the Executive Board meeting an extra day.

As I reported yesterday, we expect an answer from the Executive Council later this week. I have called the MEC back into session on Thursday in anticipation of their ruling. We’ll provide you with the Executive Council decision and its ramifications as soon as we are able.

I want to thank again all the AAA pilots who participated in our events yesterday as well as all those pilots who took the time and effort to communicate to myself and your union leadership about the injustices created by the Nicolau award. Regardless of what comes down from the Executive Council, our efforts to right this terrible wrong to our careers will not stop here.

Tomorrow I will be leaving the Executive Board meeting to attend a funeral service for the son of our PIT office secretary Bobbi Harris. I hope you will join me in keeping Bobbi and her family in your thoughts and prayers. MEC Vice Chairman Kim Snider will hold my proxy until I return.

That’s all for now. So continue to look out for each other. And as always, fly safe and thanks for listening.

Back