Us Airways Group, Inc. To Consolidate Pdt & Alg

Its about time this happened (although it should be all three). I just hope no one is affected badly. I dont like the idea of them shrinking... especially with PSA hiring for thier huge growth. I've posted before my disbelief at one subsidiary of the company not taking people from another (for example not hiring mainline FAs at PSA), we'll see how it works this time. I do know that all three W/Os F/As are AFA.

eventually i hope this isn't a setup for a sale of piedmont to mesa. If not then it does makes sense, which is kinda scary considering US Airways' management.

In theory, the overhead reductions from the merger would come from the elimination of duplicative management and support staff--you only need one vice-president of operations/flight service/maintenance, one human resources dept., etc.

If my past experience at Texaco is any guide to the future, they will find a way to get rid of worker bees, but every single member of management in both companies wil end up with a slot in the merged company.

Bitter, party of one, you're table's ready.

Good luck to all of you.

"The labor laws state wise don't really matter, Alleghany's Agents inside and out are Teamster, not sure about their mechanics, at Piedmont Agents are non-union and mechanics are IAM.
"
Alleghany's mechanics are Teamsters

Well I currently work at Piedmont. Its nice to here some news. I know our fate is not seal yet.

Does anyone think the unions can do this in ten days?

First post

The unions should not have a problem (pilots) the ALG and PDT mec's are on the same page. The devil is in the details, any time the labor friendly types are pushing something so hard with the prerequisite time deadlines, it usually means there is a rat in the woodwork. We will have to look at this very carefully.

It looks like the piedmont pilots hold all the cards as far is merging the seniority list. Will the unions act like brothers or vultures?

Also I find it interesting that PSA was the first union to knuckle under to Siegels demands and then PSA gets the RJs. The Piedmont pilots were the second easiest for Dave to deal with and they get put in the drivers seat when it comes time to merge the two dash 8 operators. The ALG pilots fought concessions the hardest of all the wholly owneds and now they are now the most screwed over. I think in Dave's mind this is fair treatment.

OK................next item up for bid................#14652, the combined assets and operations of one commuter airline. Formally owned by USAirways. We'll start the bidding at 1$.

ibda
ibda
humna
humna
bling
bling
.......................1$

going once...............
going twice.......................
Sold to the gentleman from MESA Airlines......................

how would you like to pay for that sir, cash or credit card?

..............How about Screws............!!!

Just saw that in the crystal ball!

Also willing to bet Orienstein picks up the newly combined Express carrier and the Shuttle, all operated under codeshare for US................Any takers?

Any word on how this might affect crew bases and the like? I tend to agree with the sentiment here, though. US needs turboprops for some markets, yet having two carriers that do in essence the same thing seems ridiculous.

USFlyer said:
Any word on how this might affect crew bases and the like? I tend to agree with the sentiment here, though. US needs turboprops for some markets, yet having two carriers that do in essence the same thing seems ridiculous.
AL crew bases:

BGM, MDT, SYR, SCE

PI crew bases:

SBY, EWN, CHO, ORF, PHF, CLT

AL maintenance base:

MDT

PI maintenance base:

SBY, CLT, ORF

I expect to see one or two crew bases disappear and maybe one maintenance base.

Anyhow, now that there will be one W/O turbo airline, will there also be one RJ airline??????

now with this mess going on, what will happen to cities such as AVP, ABE etc that are serviced by all Allegheny DASH-8?

robbedagain said:
now with this mess going on, what will happen to cities such as AVP, ABE etc that are serviced by all Allegheny DASH-8?
Probably nothing, other than the planes will at some point say Piedmont along with the employee badges.

Nothing should change except the name of the Express operator. PDT & ALG already serve some of the same stations. Look for a big shakeup in MDT with HDQ and MTC located there. I would be willing to bet these will relocate to SBY.
The MTC facility could possibly stay in MDT depending upon the size of the PDT MTC base.

ITRADE said:
AL crew bases:

BGM, MDT, SYR, SCE

PI crew bases:

SBY, EWN, CHO, ORF, PHF, CLT

AL maintenance base:

MDT

PI maintenance base:

SBY, CLT, ORF

I expect to see one or two crew bases disappear and maybe one maintenance base.

Anyhow, now that there will be one W/O turbo airline, will there also be one RJ airline??????
Pretty close on PDT info:

ORF mtc facility was closed in DEC. There is another mtc base in ROA.

There is also a crew base in ROA.

Back