US Airways is at it Again-Things That make you go WTF!

For all we know you're neither, just another anonymous screen name and avatar.

Funny how it's the FF's and business travelers that are the true "customers" while those thrifty/leisure travelers who we cart around at break-even fares or at a loss are thoughtlessly derogatized here as "kettles" and no one seems to mind...

Exactly, calling someone a "kettle" is disrespectful. Calling Doug a drunk and whatever obsession boy calls Kirby is disrespectful as well.

But "pax" is a technical term, not pejorative in any way. (what I hate is when the media over uses "tarmack"...its a ramp!) :lol:

Exactly, calling someone a "kettle" is disrespectful. Calling Doug a drunk and whatever obsession boy calls Kirby is disrespectful as well.

But "pax" is a technical term, not pejorative in any way. (what I hate is when the media over uses "tarmack"...its a ramp!) :lol:

Not to put to fine of a point on it, but Mr Parker has spent at least one more night in Jail than I have. Why was he a guest of Maricopa County? Was it unpaid parking tickets? I don't think so
Was it Domestic Violence? No that wasn't it?
Simple Assault? Not that I recall!

WAIT!!!! Now I remember I think. Wasn't he arrested and convicted of Driving Under the Influence? Here's some sobering stuff on the potential impact of Doug's Unfortunate Incarceration:

An average drunk driver has driven drunk 87 times before first arrest.

(Zador, 1997) Full cite: Zador, Paul, Sheila Krawchuk, and B. Moore, ?Drinking and Driving Trips, Stops by Police, and Arrests: Analysis of the 1995 National Survey of Drinking and Driving Attitudes and Behavior,? Rockville, MD: Estat, Inc, 1997.

One in three people will be involved in an alcohol-related crash in their lifetime.

(NHTSA, 2001; NHTSA FARS data) Full cite: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ?The Traffic Stop and You: Improving Communications between Citizens and Law Enforcement.? National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, March 2001, DOT HS 809 212. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/enforce/Traffic%20Stop%20&%20You%20HTML/TrafficStop_index.htm

This year, 10,839 people will die in drunk-driving crashes - one every 50 minutes.

(NHTSA, 2009) Full cite: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ?2008 Traffic Safety Annual Assessment ? Highlights? DOT 811 172. Washington DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2009. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811172.pdf

More Chilling Stats Here

Just remember you brought DP & SK into a thread regarding a few incidents on US, not me! You want to keep on your crusade be my guest as I was here when you got here and I'll be here when you're gone.

The term "Pax" is jargon used in the airline business. Any Learning & Development professional will tell you that you should NEVER use jargon in front of customers. Jargon is appropriate in internal settings and so frankly is "Kettle". Jargon is NEVER appropriate in front of customers as it assumes knowledge that the customer may not have.

The incident in PHL could have very well started due to a misunderstanding over a term that was used by either party that the other didn't know the meaning to and was insulted & reacted negatively. You're allegedly a retired HR guy and you should know this regarding jargon in public.

The first one (Pax) is insulting and dehumanizing to those who pay your salary.
It's cool, you don't work in this industry so we don't expect you to really understand the terms and jargon we use.

All of these descriptors refer to the type of CUSTOMER we are.
Welp, if you don't like the parlance we employ maybe you should go be a CUSTOMER on a different airline. Good luck finding one that doesn't use the word "pax".

It's cool, you don't work in this industry so we don't expect you to really understand the terms and jargon we use.

Welp, if you don't like the parlance we employ maybe you should go be a CUSTOMER on a different airline. Good luck finding one that doesn't use the word "pax".

Jargon is appropriate in internal settings and so frankly is "Kettle". Jargon is NEVER appropriate in front of customers as it assumes knowledge that the customer may not have.

It would be just like me saying to you:

"Last week was busy, flew to SEA, met with the DSM prior to the 3 ILT's we set up and thank God the TSE & RFA came along, as the next day was all WebEx & hands-on E-lab and the LMS was all screwed up, everyone will have to wait an extra week for Golden Eagle"

That sentence make any sense to you? Is it possible that if I spoke to you that way that you might feel like I was talking down to you? Or being arrogant expecting you to know what I was talking about? Can you see how this could lead to a misunderstanding or open conflict? That was my only point. Jargon is bad and in most industries it's used as the "Secret Handshake" into the Water Buffalo Lodge

Jargon is appropriate in internal settings and so frankly is "Kettle". Jargon is NEVER appropriate in front of customers as it assumes knowledge that the customer may not have.
So jargon is not appropriate on internet message boards either because unknowledgeable FF's might find it demeaning?

It would be just like me saying to you:

"Last week was busy, flew to SEA, met with the DSM prior to the 3 ILT's we set up and thank God the TSE & RFA came along, as the next day was all WebEx & hands-on E-lab and the LMS was all screwed up, everyone will have to wait an extra week for Golden Eagle"
Okay.

That sentence make any sense to you? Is it possible that if I spoke to you that way that you might feel like I was talking down to you? Or being arrogant expecting you to know what I was talking about? Can you see how this could lead to a misunderstanding or open conflict?
No, no, no, and no. I would just nod sympathetically because it sounded like you had a busy week. Since I understand that jargon words are linguistic shortcuts that facilitate more effective communication between individuals that understand their terms I would just assume you were worn out and not realizing you had lapsed into jargonspeak. I don't know what/who Golden Eagle is but it sounds like a real bummer to have to wait for. Also, so far as I can tell, you didn't call me anything, and certainly nothing as terrible as "pax".

That was my only point. Jargon is bad and in most industries it's used as the "Secret Handshake" into the Water Buffalo Lodge
Jargon is not "bad"; it exists because it serves a functional purpose. Can it be used as a badge of group identification? Certainly. But this is this just one of the many many ways in which humans associate and disassociate themselves with all kinds of socio-cultural groups. What's the difference between the lingo of airline employees and that of Texas cattle ranchers or illegal street racers or long haul truckers on CB or a marine platoon? Jargon allows more to be said about group- and job-specific information with less time and effort.

Additionally, there are aspects of our operations that passen-oops, I mean, CUSTOMERS, simply aren't privy to and as such certain things are said or not said so that an employee will be aware of what's happening without a CUSTOMER overhearing it, misunderstanding it or getting troubled.

So jargon is not appropriate on internet message boards either because unknowledgeable FF's might find it demeaning?

Okay.

Every Customer Service/Sales course I've ever taken or been an instructor for, it was drummed into me that you NEVER use jargon in front of a Customer, whether it be an e-mail, phone or verbal it's a giant No No. So I think internet boards qualify as a communication method. So you should leave the jargon behind the curtain.

No, no, no, and no. I would just nod sympathetically because it sounded like you had a busy week. Since I understand that jargon words are linguistic shortcuts that facilitate more effective communication between individuals that understand their terms I would just assume you were worn out and not realizing you had lapsed into jargonspeak. I don't know what/who Golden Eagle is but it sounds like a real bummer to have to wait for. Also, so far as I can tell, you didn't call me anything, and certainly nothing as terrible as "pax".

The difference is that you're someone with an actual functional brain capable of logic. Not always true when you get behind Security at an airport. I didn't say anything about you at all the sentence was all about me and that was kind of my point. While you thought I had a rough week, still the thought that I might have insulted you, instead being the "Poor me, please feel my pain" mode of sentence crossed your mind. Not everyone would blow it off.

Jargon is not "bad"; it exists because it serves a functional purpose. Can it be used as a badge of group identification? Certainly. But this is this just one of the many many ways in which humans associate and disassociate themselves with all kinds of socio-cultural groups. What's the difference between the lingo of airline employees and that of Texas cattle ranchers or illegal street racers or long haul truckers on CB or a marine platoon? Jargon allows more to be said about group- and job-specific information with less time and effort.

Additionally, there are aspects of our operations that passen-oops, I mean, CUSTOMERS, simply aren't privy to and as such certain things are said or not said so that an employee will be aware of what's happening without a CUSTOMER overhearing it, misunderstanding it or getting troubled.

There isn't, just like my example, if you're dealing with a customer leave it out. Jargon in the instance of truckers and the other examples are different as one deals with an illegal activity and there really isn't a "Customer". The customer of the rancher likely uses the jargon as it's not an industry the general public would interact with except via the butcher shop or supermarket.

I will grant you that you did point out the one exception and I think it somewhat unique and that is in the case of air travel sometimes not everyone needs to know everything. What you're speaking of is more of a code. Like when I work the 2 music festivals, we patrol looking for tanks of Nitrous and when we find one we don't want to tip anyone off, So I radio our professional security that I've found a "Lost Hippie" and the coordinates.

When I first started in Training I was told this, "Never underestimate your audience's intelligence and never overestimate their knowledge". It's a fine line and I'm an advocate of the position that when in doubt, leave the Jargon out. It's hard to do.

Does every thread have to get personal?

Back to the topic.....whatever happened, I think that there is fault to be found both with the customer and the agent....it appears both perhaps overreacted to a situation which easily could have been diffused (or maybe not so easily). There are good and bad customers AND agents, but I think the safest bet here is to say it was likely an overreaction on both parts and move on.....

SparrowHawk... get over it already. "PAX" is not insulting, demeaning, or anything else! It is just an abbv. of "passenger". Simple. Not worth getting into a debate thread over. You would not not find airline personnel surfing your profession's message boards hacking people for chit-chatting in everyday terms. GET OVER IT.

Does every thread have to get personal?

Back to the topic.....whatever happened, I think that there is fault to be found both with the customer and the agent....it appears both perhaps overreacted to a situation which easily could have been diffused (or maybe not so easily). There are good and bad customers AND agents, but I think the safest bet here is to say it was likely an overreaction on both parts and move on.....
Regardless what people say, the picture wasn't of a name tag...it was the badge. People are sometimes unfamiliar with the behind-the-scenes scrutiny all secure area access employees go through...not only from TSA, but each other.

The passenger violated a security issue by photographing the ID. There is NO excuse for it. I've seen agents get fired immediately, no matter how many years with airline, because TSA was conducting security sweeps and the agent violated a security issue.

Passengers blame anybody for their issues, and will blame you even for the weather. Just because her picture looks like a lamb, doesn't mean the photog wasn't a snake. Get with it, there was no excuse for the pax, the kettle, the cattle, the cow, or whatever your nanny nation politically correct term is for them, to test the system and get away with it(PERIOD) :p

I want to make sure I have the "Sparrowhawk rules of conduct" down:

Its OK to make fun of developmentally disabled, its OK to make fun of Alzheimer's patients, its OK to call flight attendant's gossips, its OK to constantly call someone a drunk or a sexual harasser, its OK to call someone a "kettle". Its OK to make personal attacks of other posters and call them all kinds of names and accuse them of being spies for HQ. Its is OK to use jargon, provided its not Airline jargon (on an airline board full of airline employees no less).

But, you can't use the universally used term "pax" because the term is insulting to "customers".

When I am on this board, I am speaking to airline employees (except Sparrowhawk), using accepted non pejorative jargon is OK.

And you are supposed to be credible ...why? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PAX be with you

Well, I don't have a link yet, but I just heard that Toniella won the worst person of the day award on Keith Olberman.

OK public leave her alone now!

Oh btw to the non industry person I remember a lOooong time ago when I first got into this industry that the running joke was that the only ones who had more acronyms and abbreviations in use was the military.

The use of these abbrs. stems from using them for all the different destinations we fly to. ...within our airline groups well saying I'm working a sjc trip over the pa or interphobe well say San Jose - it's just short hand no harm intended.

Back