US AIRWAYS JET PULL

AIRWOMAN

Veteran
Oct 20, 2005
SAVE THE DATE – THIRD ANNUAL UNITED WAY JET PULL
Forty biceps and a rope vs. 100,000 pounds of aerospace engineering on wheels ... it's time for our third annual Jet Pull to benefit United Way. Teams of twenty donate $10 per person for their chance to a pull an aircraft fifteen feet! Last year’s champion team (named Rampage!) clocked in at 5.74 seconds! Team names, costumes and spirit are usually over the top! Mark the date on your calendar: Charlotte 10/3, Pittsburgh 10/4, Philadelphia 10/5 and Phoenix 10/19. More detailed information about the United Way campaign and the Jet Pull to come, but now is the time to start pumping iron and building your team!

This really is a lot of fun!!

Forty biceps and a rope vs. 100,000 pounds of aerospace engineering on wheels ... it's time for our third annual Jet Pull to benefit United Way. Teams of twenty donate $10 per person for their chance to a pull an aircraft fifteen feet! Last year’s champion team (named Rampage!) clocked in at 5.74 seconds! Team names, costumes and spirit are usually over the top! Mark the date on your calendar: Charlotte 10/3, Pittsburgh 10/4, Philadelphia 10/5 and Phoenix 10/19. More detailed information about the United Way campaign and the Jet Pull to come, but now is the time to start pumping iron and building your team!

It sounds fun, but unfortunately it benefits a corrupt organization and I for one will not support.

It sounds fun, but unfortunately it benefits a corrupt organization and I for one will not support.

I agree with you. The United Way is so corrupt. Administrators getting busted for stealing funds, much of the money goes to running the United Way with a small percentage going to the actual charities. If you want to donate to a charity, send the money straight to the organization. Don't donate it through the united way to pay for the running of their company. You won't catch me donating anything to the United Way.

I'm curious, how many employees are not donating to the United Way any longer because of pay cuts?

I'm curious, how many employees are not donating to the United Way any longer because of pay cuts?

The campaign has not begun yet for this year. I still donate to the my charities of choice. Not as much as I used to but still donate. I never lose sight that even though I am making less money, there are so many that are less fortunate than I.

you people are freakin amazing. how you guys manage to turn something positive into something negative is beyond me sometimes.

I agree with you. The United Way is so corrupt. Administrators getting busted for stealing funds, much of the money goes to running the United Way with a small percentage going to the actual charities. If you want to donate to a charity, send the money straight to the organization. Don't donate it through the united way to pay for the running of their company. You won't catch me donating anything to the United Way.

I also agree. A friend of mine is 100% disabled and I called the United Way to try to get some assistance for her, thinking that they would have access to many resources. The United Way offered diapers. Nothing more. I will NEVER again pay a penny to line their officers' pockets while people in need do without.

you people are freakin amazing. how you guys manage to turn something positive into something negative is beyond me sometimes.

It is not about being negative. It is about giving money to worthwhile organizations.

Here's a local story from here in WV of just such a situation. The director of a county Council of Aging was diverting money from the seniors into his own pockets... yet was only found guilty of 1 of 40-some charges.

Wish I could find the story of the testimony of one of the witnesses at his trial. She was a stripper at a local club and told of how he came in and blew tons of $$$ on her, including driving her on overnight trips in Cadillac Escalades etc. IIRC, he had a fleet of these Caddys, all bought with the embezzled funds.

Of all the United Way stories I've heard, I'd be sceptical, too. Granted it's a national organization (read that as huge management infrastructure), thus it costs big to run.

Wouldn't US make more positive spin to sponsor these events in conjunction with local charities? How about if US created a charitable foundation that directed how such cash could be donated?

Wouldn't US make more positive spin to sponsor these events in conjunction with local charities? How about if US created a charitable foundation that directed how such cash could be donated?
This is an excellent idea, and one which more companies should do (this is what my company does). United Way is a crooked organization and many companies use intimidation to get (force) their employees to donate. I know, I used to work for one of them.

This is an excellent idea, and one which more companies should do (this is what my company does). United Way is a crooked organization and many companies use intimidation to get (force) their employees to donate. I know, I used to work for one of them.

You work for one now! Lots of pressure put on us to donate.

Wow a big 45hours I cleared last month. Anyone wanna hit the foodbank with me for some grub before we head to the airport and sit OPR? The whole world is corrupt. Not just the United Way. Oh where is Sally Struthers anyway? Did she get sick of those children over in Africa? Who did she do all that crap for? Donate to whomever you choose it's your business. If you wanna pull a Dash-8 or a 747 for that matter have at it. :rolleyes:

Last year we (West) were able to donate directly to the Katrina fund. Not sure this option will be available this year. Donating is a personal choice. My personal experience with the United Way campaign was very positive and can really be a good team building event for those who get involved in organizing or participating in the campaign.

Back