US Airways near worst for complaints

US Airways near worst for complaints

July 10, 2009
Charlotte Business Journal

US Airways Group Inc. ranked next to last for customer complaints in May among the country’s 19 largest airlines, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

US Airways, which operates its largest hub at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, received 1.34 complaints per 100,000 passengers.

Linkage

DL had far more, nearly 50% more. I would attribute that to the post-merger growing pains, however. US/HP has been merged for several years and they still can't keep the customer complaints down.....

i wonder what the break down of complaints is ?

it doesn't seem like we do that bad of a job ... i wonder what the reason for complaints are ? our ontime is pretty good and we're doing SO SO at getting the bags to the destination with the pax ... what more can the flying public ask for ?

High complaints are a sign that management's guidance is working. After all doesn't Dougie say that the problem is that airlines listen to their customers too much??

59? ... I bet half came from US Airways haters that hang out on this forum. ;)

They say they're changing policies to be more customer friendly (like changing the TFC so its easier to use), but then do something (I feel) stupid like charging EVERYONE that uses curbside $2.00 to check in. This includes First Class, Preferreds, military and now those that prepay at home.
I prepaid at home, yes you did, congrats, now that will be $2.00 to use the curbside kiosk.
I'm sorry Miss First Class customer, that will be $4.00 to check your 2 bags.
Ridiculous.
I like my paycheck as much as the next guy and understand the need to collect $$$ where we can (hey how about charging that TPA-SAN lady more than $110 for a ticket :blink: ) , but some things ARE JUST NICKEL AND DIMING the wrong people. Wonder how many complaints we'll get on this? End complaints on something, shift it to another stupid policy. Too bad Dougie (or whomever devised this policy) cant come work the curb sometime and see just what contempt people have for US on stupid stuff like this. I can defend charging for bags, but this one (for exempt bag charge customers) needs to go the way of the drink charges and fast! :down:

They say they're changing policies to be more customer friendly (like changing the TFC so its easier to use), but then do something (I feel) stupid like charging EVERYONE that uses curbside $2.00 to check in. This includes First Class, Preferreds, military and now those that prepay at home.
I prepaid at home, yes you did, congrats, now that will be $2.00 to use the curbside kiosk.
I'm sorry Miss First Class customer, that will be $4.00 to check your 2 bags.
Ridiculous.
I like my paycheck as much as the next guy and understand the need to collect $$$ where we can (hey how about charging that TPA-SAN lady more than $110 for a ticket :blink: ) , but some things ARE JUST NICKEL AND DIMING the wrong people. Wonder how many complaints we'll get on this? End complaints on something, shift it to another stupid policy. Too bad Dougie (or whomever devised this policy) cant come work the curb sometime and see just what contempt people have for US on stupid stuff like this. I can defend charging for bags, but this one (for exempt bag charge customers) needs to go the way of the drink charges and fast! :down:
Maybe we'd get less complaints if the policies are followed across the country. I bet half the complaints are about carry on bags stopped at the gates for being too large. Pax's do not understand aircraft are not designed for every pax to have a carry on bag in the overhead compartment. Then our on time departures are gone because we take an extra ten minutes gate checking 36 bags on the jetway. That's after arguing with the pax that states he followed the rules and is not going to check his bag. After replying that there is nothing else you can do because the bins are full, they ask you to give them a claim at gate valet tag, in which you reply that is not allowed...at the same time the flight attendant puts a bag at the aircraft door and says "a sweetie, can you check this bag and have it brought back up in the jetway at the arrival city" and then you have to explain to the pax you are trying to get on the plane that it is only for the first class pax's (who travel more often and know the rules and the ways around them and probably paid less money than the pax in coach) and to top it off they say well they did it for me in CTY on the way down or they protest that CTY didn't have a problem letting me on with four bags on the way down, or they say nobody said anything at the TSA security checkpoint and they should be penalized now at the gate... Gosh!!! it's only a bag... Take out the jewelry you stole from your family, your precious sex toys, the wad of cash from selling drugs or fake investment scams, as well as your psychological medication (and if you say you don't have any medication in the bag, go see a psychologist and get some cause you need it) and check the darn bag!!!...
Just Change THE CARRY ON POLICY TO one small carry on such as a purse or notebook computer or small bag of food AND THAT'S IT... no more complaints,cause they can't bring it over... less time at TSA cause they aren't looking thru oversized bags overflowing with crap searching for a tiny nail clipper which you forgot was in that travel kit you got from the kids last christmas tying up the security check point cause you might be a threat to somebody's cuticles...If you have to turn sideways to get through the door opening of the aircraft the buy two seats... If pax is intoxicated, send him or her home... don't have them get a cup of coffee and put them on the next flight... now he's only drunk and more awake...
At least if we had consistent policies enforced consistently, we would have less complaints...
Sorry for the rant but hit a sore point... but come on...
-Don't oversell a flight by more than one
-give the airport control of the flight 4 hours prior to departure... no more last minute
overbookings.
-V seats... V stands for "victim" of money hungry airline
-let agents assign exit row seats only at the gate...
-Reasonable cut off for check in- 45 minutes at least if you have 30 min board time
- give agents some seat to control to fix seating issues first.
*** JUST USE COMMON SENSE AND MAKE POLICIES THAT MAKE SENSE AND YOU"LL HAVE LESS COMPLAINTS IF THE ARE FOLLOWED THE SAME EVERYWHERE...(hear that PHX, CLT, PHL??? 27" over extended and overstuffed 65 pound bag is not carry on, nor is a large plastic clothes hamper filled with junk with no cover. I need maintnence cause bag is stuck
is not something you need to hear every other day.

FED UP

Figures lie and liars figure. A 50% improvement that lands you 19 out of 20 isn't really an improvement.

For example the 1962 NY Mets won 40 games and finished DEAD LAST in the National League
In 1963 they improved their number of wins by 20% and finished DEAD LAST

This is what happens when a company strives to be mediocre.

BTW did you read the PM I sent you on the other topic? I notice you're kinda quiet over there.

So true. Like the story of a race between a Russian and American car. The American car wins, but Kraznaya Zvezda reports that the Russian car almost won while the American car came in second to last.

Pax hate fly US, but do so because it is the cheapest, or is the ONLY choice for nonstop service between A and B.
Nobody buys a ticket on US because it is their first choice.
Any other alternative is better than US. Witness LGA downsizing - once SW moves in, revenues (as lackluster as they reportedly are) will dissipate rapidly because there is a better alternative (not necessarily a cheaper price). This will hasten our departure from LGA, retreating once again. Why? Because nobody likes to fly on US.
Management policies towards the customer and employee have created a toxic atmosphere where failure is the most probable outcome.
Cheers.

Back