Us Airways Pilot Pay Vs. Peers

Very interesting - If we look at the hourly pay for a A320 and 737 Captain, US does not fare badly. However, it must be the rigid work rules...

A320 Capt 737 Capt
Min Max Min Max
B6 $113 $126
HP $119 $134
UA $133 $147 $133 $147
US $138 $152 $138 $152
CO $146 $158
DL $214 $231
WN $159 $179
AA $144 $156

Pragmatic,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant examples of those dreaded "work rules".

Again, not picking on you but "inefficient work rules" are regularly mentioned and I've repeatedly asked for specifics - they're just never provided.

Jim

The F/As keep hearing about "work rules" too... I'm trying to think just what is in the contract that prevents US from being efficient? Contrary to popular belief, US F/As clean planes at many stations, and have minimum staffing.

Is it hours worked? I'd bet the F/As would be happy to do things like west coast turns and longer days if it meant they could get thier hours in more quickly. The company schedules airlplanes to sit around in hubs for hours on end, not the flight crews.

And how about the ridiculous, que the trumpets, "International Transoceanic Division"? Yes of course a select few F/As want this fence for self-serving purposes, but most dont. I remember reading here that it was in fact the company who wanted to keep it up. I'll tell you whats ineffiecient- me laying by the pool on international reserve (making international guarantee mind you), with not even a late London anywhere in sight while several domestic flights delay or cancel due to F/A shortage.

So just what are these mysterious work rules that are holding US Airways back from world domination?

It is mainly by a process of deduction that I mentioned the work rules. We all know that US Airways:

- Has one the highest RASMs in the industry (although it will come down with more penetration from the low-cost carriers)
- The Direct labor costs are not too out of whack (especially after BK)
- Does not have a significant debt servicing problem (especially after BK)

So why are we not making money?

Also, what is inefficient IMHO is the Reserve Time Balancing. Lately, there have been many, many shortages of F/A's. No one is willing to work into their days off as they did before. No one is willing to do "favors" for scheduling anymore. There is not incentive and no more money to be had, unless one just enjoys flying for $1.95 an hour.

Also, the company is saving money on vacation for reserves. No one is hardly breaking guarantee and if you have vacation that is INCLUDED in your min. guarantee, so for reserves, there is NO PAID vacation anymore.

Also, years ago, there was not division in Transatlantic. I would think it would SAVE the company even more money to have everyone trained for both domestic and transatlantic. Then they could pull from everyone when necessary.

Also, I would think it would SAVE the company money to do alternate reserves and block holders like other carriers do. One month...reserve...next month BH.

Also, IF it would save money and allow reserves to fly more, I am sure none would mind being separated from Pilots. Hardly any Pilots keep up with CRM anymore. Rarely do they check your rooms with you or give 2 cents about the F/A's. :down:

Pragmatic said:
It is mainly by a process of deduction that I mentioned the work rules. We all know that US Airways:

- Has one the highest RASMs in the industry (although it will come down with more penetration from the low-cost carriers)
- The Direct labor costs are not too out of whack (especially after BK)
- Does not have a significant debt servicing problem (especially after BK)

So why are we not making money?
Short-haul trips on small aircraft have inherently high CASM. The revenue premium no longer supports the CASM premium. This is due to a couple of factors:

1. JetBlue/Southwest/AirTran/others are erroding yield and RASM across the system (i.e. BUF-LGA, ALB-LAS, ROC-MCO, etc)

2. In some areas, primarily small express towns and hubs, pax don't mind driving to other near-by large airports in order to get a good deal. The most well documented cases are the folks driving from Harrisburg and Northern VA to BWI, folks driving from Boston area to Manchester and Providence, and folks driving from PIT to Akron and CLE. Its harder to support the relatively higher CASM of small aircraft at Harrisburg when a significant portion of the Harrisburg market is driving to BWI. Also, its harder to justify the lower CASM mainline jets to Harrisburg, when you cannot fill them up with the fares charged.

US Airways problem was not debt-load... Its a broken business model.

Back