Us Airways To Meet With Unions On Concessions

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
US Airways To Meet With Unions on Concessions

By Keith L. Alexander
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 5, 2004; Page E02

US Airways executives hope to secure steep concessions from employees at a meeting with union leaders tomorrow in a last-ditch effort to head off the sale of several key assets, sources close to the carrier said yesterday.

Article

Jim

What is the pay for the executives at Southwest and JetBlue? Sincerely, is Siegel willing to take a pay cut ,as well, to fit in line with the low cost carriers himself? Will he be the first to offer up sacrifices from his pay and benefits to bring everyone, as an example, into the new world of airlines? It seems it is so easy for him to continue to ask for more concessions without actually including himself in this overall "plan" to reduce costs. I think that would be a great step towards mending the trust issue with the employees. The other question I have is, what, other than asking for more out of the pocket of employees, has Siegel and his mangement team implemented since US has come out of bancruptcy in April. How is US a different airline now than in was before April? Maybe we should start a different post for that question. But I know that the employees have recieved notices and letters on how US needs to change and I would like to know what major changes, have taken place and in what departments. It seems to me that there has been a huge amount of time between last April and now. Is that enough time to get the ball rolling on a new plan ? It seems that instead of talking about a plan they would " just do it". Isnt that what great leadership is all about? Isnt that what makes the employees excited and energized about what is going on and what they are working so hard for? Great, innovative leadership can change everything. From what I can see, the US employees are some of the best and have time and time again, under many adverse situations helped bring back the company from the brink. They have been willing to sacrifice for their company and are just waiting for a great leader to come up with new innovative and creative ideas to make their company something to be excited and energized about. In the meantime it seems to me that they have done a fabulous job, picking their chin up and getting on with it. Overall they have a lot to be proud of as most of their customers can attest to.

Does anyone know how many mainline jobs would be lost with a sale of the Shuttle? Does the sale of the Shuttle include aircraft, or just city pair time slots?

Back a couple of months ago when CEO of jetblue was interviewd on 60min or something like that....he was then making 200,000 a year. I think dave is still around 600,000 a year :angry:

Yeah but how much STOCK did the CEO of JetBlue get? Not sticking up for Dave BECAUSE he should take a pay cut, but Neeland and Co made tons of money off the IPO of B6.

Hope777 said:
Yeah but how much STOCK did the CEO of JetBlue get? Not sticking up for Dave BECAUSE he should take a pay cut, but Neeland and Co made tons of money off the IPO of B6.
True, and US Airways is a little bit bigger than JetBlue...

• Banned
I'm too lazy to dig thru the restructuring agreement, but seems like Dave stands to receive over 2 million shares in 3 or 4 "vestings". And he didn't have to start the airline to get it.

Jim

A gate Agent inPit the other day handed our crew a copy of Airline CEO's salaries that was printed off the Internet from some Moneyline Web site. I am awful at remembering the specifice, but I passed it on.

As of 2001, SW CEO made around $600,000, including bonuses
Jetblue CEO was around $250,000.
USAirways CEO Dave Seigel was $1,200,000. at least (somewhere around that figure)

Wish I had kept that paper work, because it had a whole list of what the VP's were making, also.

Bottom Line, Our Management makes a Hellava lot of Bucks. :angry:

The article is wrong, there is not a meeting about concessions, the meeting is a normal Labor Advisory Meeting with the company which is in all of the restructured labor agreements.

You would think a Washington Post reporter would get the story right.

And by the way, from the IAM:

• Banned
700UW,

Hope you're right - my fingers are crossed for all of us. It wouldn't surprise me if the company took the opportunity for a "give till it hurts or else" pep talk, though.

Jim

Hope777 said:
JetBlue's stock is worth something. That's the fundamental difference.

Back