US East non-reving on US West

We really need to take care of each other, I don't care who you worked for before, it's kind of all we got, you know management could care less about us!!!!!!!!

Are you a flipping idiot? Why did you post such a thing? All thart does is get management sending out more "Must Reads" about not comping booze and having more secret evaluations done on board.

And, so, on that note, welcome Easties to your new corporate culture.
Sad, but true.

What does she mean, you are thinking?

A few weeks ago, a DCA based MDA, furloughed East, mainline gal commuted on a flight from PHX to DCA. The 2nd FA (the one in charge of headset sales) REFUSED to comp this gal a headset for the movie. Actually, it had NOTHING to do with the fact that the gal was East.
This 2nd wouldn't have compped ANYONE a headset, because, "It says in the manual we are not allowed to comp anyone..."
Now, this gal was neither brand new, nor young. Shes junior, but off reserve; not green, but mature.
She just didn't "get it".
And you will find PLENTY of West FAs that don't "get" it.
The 1st FA rectified the situation, stating she had her 'big girl panties on'.

The commuter MDA FA came up to chat w/the 1st FA after the movie was over and they had a nice exchange.
The US FA heard about the fear HP FAs have of being 'secret shopped" (it happens) and how junior HP Fas have been brainwashed to the point where they will write up other FAs and Pilots.

Can you hear the fear in HP_FAs post? That is the culture. Old school FAs who are happy to 'take care' of non-revs do so 'under the radar'.

Sad, but true.

We really need to take care of each other, I don't care who you worked for before, it's kind of all we got, you know management could care less about us!!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100%!!!

Segment King,
What is the point of posting the negatives? I really, truly want to know. Is it an attempt to get those of us on the West side of operations angry? Many of us can tell you which of our stations are GREAT and which ones aren't so great for the most part. I also know of quite a few nonrevvers left behind in PHL for some really silly reasons and gate agents refusing to help in any means, but they always have something GOOD to offer us out of their experiences.

We're ALL skeptical of this merger, but I have to tell you I have yet to see ANY of my agents be anything other than nice to to the SA3C's we see on our lists. In fact, if there's time, most of us like to chit chat about where to go, what to see, what's it like to live around CLT/PHL/PIT etc etc etc...I won't lie and say ALL of the agents in PHX are terrific with the nonrevs, as I know of a few doozies out there, but for the vast majority of the ground crews here, we're all purdy darned nice folks. Give it another shot.

And, so, on that note, welcome Easties to your new corporate culture.
Sad, but true.

What does she mean, you are thinking?

A few weeks ago, a DCA based MDA, furloughed East, mainline gal commuted on a flight from PHX to DCA. The 2nd FA (the one in charge of headset sales) REFUSED to comp this gal a headset for the movie. Actually, it had NOTHING to do with the fact that the gal was East.
This 2nd wouldn't have compped ANYONE a headset, because, "It says in the manual we are not allowed to comp anyone..."
Now, this gal was neither brand new, nor young. Shes junior, but off reserve; not green, but mature.
She just didn't "get it".
And you will find PLENTY of West FAs that don't "get" it.
The 1st FA rectified the situation, stating she had her 'big girl panties on'.

The commuter MDA FA came up to chat w/the 1st FA after the movie was over and they had a nice exchange.
The US FA heard about the fear HP FAs have of being 'secret shopped" (it happens) and how junior HP Fas have been brainwashed to the point where they will write up other FAs and Pilots.

Can you hear the fear in HP_FAs post? That is the culture. Old school FAs who are happy to 'take care' of non-revs do so 'under the radar'.

Sad, but true.
I agree with you 100%!!!
hp fa was stating that because it is true. They were going to fire that senior of ours last year because she comp'd 2 headsets, and it is a valid point that we cannot comp them without the appropriate reasons. West does have secret shoppers, corporate security, and a myraid of spies on the planes to watch and evaluate the inflight crews. I don't think anyone should be whipped here for doing their job by the book.

hp fa was stating that because it is true. They were going to fire that senior of ours last year because she comp'd 2 headsets, and it is a valid point that we cannot comp them without the appropriate reasons. West does have secret shoppers, corporate security, and a myraid of spies on the planes to watch and evaluate the inflight crews. I don't think anyone should be whipped here for doing their job by the book.
Do you think someone might have something better to do than write up a fa for being nice to a coworker? A 5 dollar headset comp, please? When corporate knows how hard and how important it is to integrate the two cultures, to spend the time and energy to do this, is repulsive. If f/as have to account for the used headset, how about giving them the ability to comp occasionally, just write it down. (If its that important.) A comp can go a long way in spreading good morale and good will. You cannot put a dollar sign on it. I guess it would be 5 less for their bonuses.

This is not true. A headset can be comp'd at the discretion of the FA using good judgement. The company watches out for patterns and theft. If you have no stealing background and no patterns leading to stealing, then you can comp all you feel is necessary.

I'll be flying thru PHX alot, don't worry. Just my expectations were not quite what they were when I'd fly thru there previously.

Most US-East non-revs tend to travel with their ID's around their neck (I don't... United habit I guess), so we tend to stand out more than other NRSA's.

And to reiterate, I was expecting the same or better treatment than my last 3 trips thru PHX/LAS as a non-rev and it was very different.... people are nervous about this merger

Once upon a time I was working a PHX-CUN-PHX turn. I had a non-rev repeatedly demand comps. As I got further back in the cabin it turned out that the gal who was the manager of inflight amenties at Corporate (I forget her formal title) specifically asked me what was the deal with that non-rev and I told her the story. She had seen me try to enforce policy as written and then have a non-rev go off on me. She said she would take care of the non-rev in CUN and that nothing would happen to me because I had tried to enforce policy and had finally only given in to not make more of a scene. She actually wanted flight crews to write up incidents such as that, which I did not do because unless it was a severe problem I had a policy of not writing up employees.

My statement to Segment King was why he felt he needed to post his bragging about getting a free drink. Why post it? Enjoy the drink and say thank you. Don't give management any ammunition. Don't get people in trouble or cause further scrutiny. Just refrain from typing that kind of stuff on a very public message board. DOH!

Thank you for reinforcing my point exactly.
From what I understand, the East culture is still relatively 'old school', where they get along and take care of each other. 'Welcome to my galley, please help yourself', etc.
Just giving them a heads up that the culture at HP is more of a 'be careful, be afraid' type.
It can sometimes be perceived as 'unfriendly' or 'rude'. 'What do you think you're doing in my galley?' etc.

I don't think anyone should be whipped here for doing their job by the book.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as 'whipping' someone for doing things 'by the book', but isn't it funny how FAs pick and choose which regs and procedures to follow precisely, and totally slack on others?
(IF I were a FA, I would course would include myself inthat statement ;) )

Thank you for reinforcing my point exactly.
From what I understand, the East culture is still relatively 'old school', where they get along and take care of each other. 'Welcome to my galley, please help yourself', etc.
Just giving them a heads up that the culture at HP is more of a 'be careful, be afraid' type.
It can sometimes be perceived as 'unfriendly' or 'rude'. 'What do you think you're doing in my galley?' etc.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as 'whipping' someone for doing things 'by the book', but isn't it funny how FAs pick and choose which regs and procedures to follow precisely, and totally slack on others?
(IF I were a FA, I would course would include myself inthat statement ;) )

Geez and some of you were worried about the East culture. Wow, we seem to be much more laid back in the East where "old school" is concerned. With all the undercover ghost riders around, you guys on the West won't have to worry about senority. Most of us will be fired for being "old school". :lol:

In the East years ago, PAX all had free drink and headst coupons that were given to them by the FF program and also by the gate agents....we rarely had that much money it was mostly coupons. Then the company went to a coupon booklet they gave each F/A for use in a service recovery type situation to appease an upset passenger for whatever reason. We "easties" are used to "comping" drinks and headsets within reason for use a service recovery tool on board the A/C for all kinds of reasons. It works and its not abused so the company does not come down hard on the F/A group. However, there are and have been occassions of abuse with this but that is eventually flagged and dealt with. As far as "comping" for Non-rev's....it's dealt with discreetly and hate to say it but is common practice! This will be a soar spot I'm sure when both F/A groups are merged and finally working together because the "easties" are a little more relaxed in regards to this topic! As long as it's not abused it shouldn't be an issue! ;)

As far as "comping" for Non-rev's....it's dealt with discreetly and hate to say it but is common practice!

I have never paid for liquor on Frontier, AirTran, United/Ted, Delta, Northwest, etc. Not that I order them, but sometimes they just offer them to me.

The "discrete" way of offering it to me is "Since we owe you money, would you rather have a drink instead?"

:p

I didn't realize my feelings about warning some of our NRSA's about being "too open" would result in this type of discussion!

JEC9..

Hey...T.T here!!! :ph34r: Thanks for the post and repeat of my experiences on /east equip and with /east employees and crews!! Hehehehe.....that was fun to see in print!
All true too! They have almost universally been great!! :up:

As a follow-up to SegmnetKing's post at the begining, I don't know what happened on your trip and sorry you had some not great experiences with our /west folks but I can assure you that is not the norm from my experience with /east crews on our flights. Although I must admit that I do often go out of my way to make any OAL crewmember comfortable.

Now, having said that there are a few of our folks at /west ( as I know you have in the east) who are negative by nature and some who are feeling some heavy anxiety about their little "fiefdom" (PHX/AWA) being dismantled or invaded as it were. Not to worry , it will pass as time and integration continue and I am sure it will work out fine.

The biggest issue for /west in my opine is fear of the following:

1. Seniority driven EVERYTHING !
2. Displacement from jobs or loss of seniority in PHX base.
3.The unknown...( we have never been through a merger)

Hope we can just all beging to work together and beat the competition rather than ourselves.

To all my /west co-workers and /east soon to be co-workers.....LETS ALL WORK TOGETHER!!!

Thanks.

Let me just say this...YES, unfortunately we at US "West" do have the privilage :down: of having "Mystery Shoppers" on our a/c now and then. I HATE it when nonrevs flash their ID when we are selling headsets, selling liquior and food. PLEASE DON'T PUT US IN THE POSISION OF HAVING TO SAY NO. A cheap little headset or drink in not worth getting called in for, threatened for firing, or putting something in my file. I hope you all can understand where we are coming from on this matter.
THANKS