US Pilot Labor Thread, Aug 25th-31th

Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't alone in your thinking but I and many others out west are willing to bet that you're wrong. Just as the east is willing to throw themselves on their swords over DOH, so are we on the west to defend the expensive and time consuming arbitrator's decision. Each side believes it is right. The courts will decide.

They will in about 10 years as that is the pace of the courts in such cases. In the unlikely event the court decides in your favor, it is highly unlikely the courts remedy will change the list that has been functioning the preceding decade. Nicalou will not be an issue as it exists only as a bargaining position of a previous collective bargaining agent. You will be hanging your hat on the fairness of DOH integration with nothing to compare it to except the respective East and West lists as they are all that exist. A bargaining position does not constitute a list.

There is a pending grievance between union and company over the active mainline E170 pilots. If they win and clearly there was no other airline they were working for, 2+ years of longevity will be restored to hundreds of East pilots and a win would also prejudice the DFR suit against ALPA.

The E170 DFR case against ALPA of which Nicalou and the seniority arbitration is a part of will conclude years before the DFR suit you contemplate.

Your time and efforts would have been better spent working on conditions and restrictions within the union and a new contract but I fear only ten years of hindsight is going to show you that.

I have a question

After 8-10 years from now when 80 % of all the east pilots are retired, who will be flying in those positions?

Anyone... anyone?

wopr21

What's the status of non dues payment for delinquent USAPA represented pilots? Are there any AWA pilots still holding out?

The May 16th Hemenway letter laid out the following steps to be followed to deal with non-paying pilots:
1. USAPA must notify delinquent pilots via certified mail, return receipt requested that they have 15 day to settle their arrears.

Have any such letters been sent out?

2. If no payment is made after 15 days, USAPA must notify the company and the delinquent pilot of the non-payment.

Also, have we gotten to this point yet with any pilot?

3. The company must take steps to discharge the pilot.

Wondering what's involved and how long this process might take? Is it happening?

4. The pilot has 5 days from notification of his discharge to initiate a grievance regarding the discharge.

"Unless there is some reason to believe that the pilot is not actually in arrears, the company can be forced to terminate employment of a pilot that has failed to pay dues or a service charge."

I guess whining "We don't have a union!" or "We hate those guys!" is not going to cut it as a defense for non payment.

It has been 2 1/2 months since this process could have begun. Perhaps it would prudent for the company to pursue this before any furloughs actually take affect with their attendant costs. If enough Westies decide to avoid payment and surrender their jobs, the Nic issue might be much less of a problem.

Just wondering.

BT
" :up: a happy USAPA Cactus pilot(as of tomorrow)"

(ALPA got him his job back, but spending a month or two in limbo without a paycheck is sobering, nonetheless.)
Actually, ALPA did not "get his job back". The company violated federal law by firing him. ALPA provided cover for the company by asserting issues not germane for the situation, but played into the script the company wanted. It was a half-arsed symphony, made to denigrate any associated with a rebellion.

He should really sue the company/ALPA, but, knowing his lack of "resources", would likely not be able to. It is a perfect, "make no waves", Piedmont perspective, a "don't question authority" mindset that putrefies the American culture.

Do you think that the company would actually terminate 1800 pilots?

Parker has stated he makes decisions based on the good of the airline, not one group over another. Wouldn't it be prudent for him to seek relief from the appropriate government agency to preclude financial harm to the company while the AWAPPA/USAPA lawsuits play out in the courts?

I'm just asking, since this has never been an issue on such a grand scale before.

Do you think that the company would actually terminate 1800 pilots?

Parker has stated he makes decisions based on the good of the airline, not one group over another. Wouldn't it be prudent for him to seek relief from the appropriate government agency to preclude financial harm to the company while the AWAPPA/USAPA lawsuits play out in the courts?

I'm just asking, since this has never been an issue on such a grand scale before.

If that were possible then the AFL-CIO and any other major unions would with agency shop contract provisions should be holding their breath. All precedent on dues/maintenance fee obligations would be changed.

Hey guys. Hold off on posting for awhile. I am closing this thread and starting the new one for the week. I will transfer this evening's posts to the new thread. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back