US Plane Taxis into KLM 737 in AMS

nycbusdriver said:
Took my first lying lesson in 1969; started flying professionally in 1974.  Until this thread, I have NEVER hear of the lead-in line being called a J-line.  Any Idea what the "J" stands for?
I'm with you. Never heard of j line from pointy end

• Banned
I did receipt and dispatch for many years, never heard it called a "J" line either.

nycbusdriver said:

Any Idea what the "J" stands for?  

I always thought it was the shape of the line as it splits perpendicularly off the taxi line into the gate, making it a bit like a "J".  We were told in training it was called a "J-line" and on PHX ramp that's what they're still referred to as. However our I-learning modules have indicated that we should expect to see a number of changes in verbiage with the merger; I myself will be making the change from an agent to a clerk...I hope it's a painless transformation.

• Banned
We always called it the lead in line.

traderjake said:
I never heard the term until I flew into PHX after the merger.

It's in the airport advisory pages although the explaination of what is is not.

AOA Non-Movement Area Driver Training Manual - Port of Seattle

"J-lines are yellow surface painted markings with each gate’s number displayed to guide aircraft from the taxilane to its assigned gate at the terminal."

Well, that definition kind of makes sense of the naming.  If that is the case, "J-Lines" are a rarity in the US, where the lead-in lines are not connected to the taxi lines.  In Europe, it is much more common, and the fact that the lines from the taxi line to the gate have the curved "turn" portion included makes them look like a "J."  PHL and CLT, for instance, have no J-Lines at all that I have ever seen.

The J lines we had in CLT were on I believe B4 & 6, the aircraft entered the leadline straight in, then it would have a sharp left turn followed by a sharp right turn stopping the aircraft at a different angle then when it first entered the lead line. If you have google earth, bring up the B4/6 area and use the historical slider, there is a certain date in 2009 where you can see the how the leadline comes in straight but the aircraft is not at the same angle as the beginning of the line. It was put in to jockey around wing tips....

• Banned
It all changed when the put B2 back.

Back