US to end service to GUA

JetguyCLT

Advanced
Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed in the schedule that CLT to GUA is ending on 9/3 or 9/4? This flight is always full, I can't imagine why they would stop it?

Possibly because UAL is ending service there at the beginning of September. UAL handles AAA, most likely very inexpensively. And most likely, UAL is getting rid of its gate.

Possibly because UAL is ending service there at the beginning of September. UAL handles AAA, most likely very inexpensively. And most likely, UAL is getting rid of its gate.

Sorry. I fail to see the logic in this.

UAL is stopping their GUA service AND LCC flights are operating near capacity. So, even though there is no indication that demand is softening AND a major competitor service the states is pulling out, LCC's response is to pull out also? Simply because UAL serviced their airplane there? Is UAL taking away their jetway and the concrete ramp under the airplane, too?

Would it not make more sense to continue high-demand international service and simply get another contractor to service our flights?

Sorry. I fail to see the logic in this.

UAL is stopping their GUA service AND LCC flights are operating near capacity. So, even though there is no indication that demand is softening AND a major competitor service the states is pulling out, LCC's response is to pull out also? Simply because UAL serviced their airplane there? Is UAL taking away their jetway and the concrete ramp under the airplane, too?

Would it not make more sense to continue high-demand international service and simply get another contractor to service our flights?

I agree, maybe the service should be upgraded to a 320 from the 319 to try to pick up some of the UAL customers. Unless demand has really fallen off because of the slowdown of adoption travel.

Has anyone else noticed in the schedule that CLT to GUA is ending on 9/3 or 9/4? This flight is always full, I can't imagine why they would stop it?

Is it possible that the limited connection opportunities coming back from GUA hurt this flight? The return segment arrives in CLT at 8:14 PM, too late for connections to many cities.

I imagine it would be too costly to have the CLT-GUA segment depart later in the day, do an RON at GUA, and then return to CLT the following morning.

Maybe when CO gets into the STAR Alliance, both UA and US will send their passengers to GUA on CO flights.

I heard, but have not checked, that it is going to be Saturday only service for the fall.

Is it possible that the limited connection opportunities coming back from GUA hurt this flight? The return segment arrives in CLT at 8:14 PM, too late for connections to many cities.

I imagine it would be too costly to have the CLT-GUA segment depart later in the day, do an RON at GUA, and then return to CLT the following morning.

Maybe when CO gets into the STAR Alliance, both UA and US will send their passengers to GUA on CO flights.

==puts future route planning hat on==

One thing US could consider doing is to do what airlines like TACA and Copa do, and that is to make the flights red eye flights. If you had a PHL international bank at, say 11:00 or 11:30 pm, you could have flights arriving in PTY, GUA, SJO around 5:00 or 5:30 am. The plane could then turn around 90 or 120 minutes later (after mandatory customs checks), and be back in PHL around 12:30 pm. The PHL departure time can feed from the last arrival bank into PHL and the arrival time into PHL can feed into the mid-afternoon PHL departure banks...

Oh, forgot to mention, but after having talked to a lot of my Latin friends, US needs to consider the seasonal market outside of summer. Folks don't usually go to GUA for Halloween, hence the reasonable choice to cut service to weekend only in fall. But a VERY common theme that I hear is a complaint about the lack of Latin American service during the Christmas/New Year periods. Demand is VERY high and there is not a ton of service. With high demand comes high fares...

==puts future route planning hat on==

One thing US could consider doing is to do what airlines like TACA and Copa do, and that is to make the flights red eye flights. If you had a PHL international bank at, say 11:00 or 11:30 pm, you could have flights arriving in PTY, GUA, SJO around 5:00 or 5:30 am. The plane could then turn around 90 or 120 minutes later (after mandatory customs checks), and be back in PHL around 12:30 pm. The PHL departure time can feed from the last arrival bank into PHL and the arrival time into PHL can feed into the mid-afternoon PHL departure banks...

That sounds like a good idea, but there would have to be 2 crews as you can't be scheduled to work a leg following a red eye. It's sad seeing that flight going to Saturdays only. Are the fares high enough to produce revenue?

No need to worry. I think AA has increased frequency MIA-GUA to 3xdaily on 737-800. With the grounding of the A300s, there is talk of putting one 763 on the route in rotation with other Caribbean destinations that need cargo space, but not every day. Maybe after Labor Day, a possible 1x757, 1x738 with periodic 763. :up:

No need to worry. I think AA has increased frequency MIA-GUA to 3xdaily on 737-800. With the grounding of the A300s, there is talk of putting one 763 on the route in rotation with other Caribbean destinations that need cargo space, but not every day. Maybe after Labor Day, a possible 1x757, 1x738 with periodic 763. :up:
And that concerns US.... how??

Latest posts