US5050, 20 years ago

Aug 20, 2002
It has been 20 years since the 737-400 runway excursion at LGA; the accident resulted in two fatalities. Had it occurred at just about any other airport than LGA, the result would likely have been minor or moderate a/c damage and few, if any, injuries.

It was the first in the horrible string of five accidents that plagued the company over the following five years.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19890920-0

It has been 20 years since the 737-400 runway excursion at LGA; the accident resulted in two fatalities. Had it occurred at just about any other airport than LGA, the result would likely have been minor or moderate a/c damage and few, if any, injuries.

It was the first in the horrible string of five accidents that plagued the company over the following five years.

That was a day many will never forget. The HORRIFIC string of accidents that took place after this LGA accident still haunts many of us to this day. I have a horrible lump in my throat and tearfully remember all the lives that were lost in the accidents that followed.
NO ONE should EVER forget these accidents and the impact on the company and aviation. USAIR survived in spite of it and hopefully will live on for a long time. It was GREAT company in those days ...only wish it was so now.

For some reason, I thought that this same A/C 416US was the one that had the stuck main gear that landed in GSO. Does anyone know if it was or not?

was there a 737-400 or -300 accident in LAX where the plane landed on top of a commuter aircraft?
I also remember an F-100 accident in LGA basically in the same area too.

was there a 737-400 or -300 accident in LAX where the plane landed on top of a commuter aircraft?
I also remember an F-100 accident in LGA basically in the same area too.

Yes...a 737 landed on runway 24L (I believe) when a Skywest plane was in position for takeoff. The tower controller issued the landing clearance AND the clearance for Skywest to taxi onto the runway. It was right at sunset and the 737 crew could not see the other plane on the runway because the sun in just the wrong position.

5050 was a runway 31 departure.
The other accident was a F-28 on runway 13. Sorry, but I don't have that flight number.

Yes...a 737 landed on runway 24L (I believe) when a Skywest plane was in position for takeoff. The tower controller issued the landing clearance AND the clearance for Skywest to taxi onto the runway. It was right at sunset and the 737 crew could not see the other plane on the runway because the sun in just the wrong position.

The other accident was a F-28 on runway 13. Sorry, but I don't have that flight number.

IIRC. the F-28 was flt 405. It was very similar the icing related crash of an F-28 in Dryden, ON the year before.

The aviation-safety.net database is a great tool for anyone looking for this type of info.

5050's airplane, after it was recovered, sat in the AA hanger at LGA for a while, while the investigation went on. It was sad to see it everyday, as the company I worked for at the time had offices in the 3rd floor of the hanger.
The airplane just rolled off the end of the runway and into the approach lights for rwy 13

The F-28 as actually airborne for a few seconds tilted left and plunged into the muck of Flushing Bay just about in front of the shuttle concourse of the US Airways terminal. The guys at the US airways tower on the shuttle concourse actually saw it happen in front of their eyes. Very sad for them.

It is interesting that the following occured after these incidents:

5050: A rudder trim guard was installed on 737-330/400 aircraft. If Boeing had installed the trim guard as origional equipment, it may have prevented the incident. Just like the "new" rudder power control units on new 737s (a result of flt. 427), it is now standard equipment.

405: Pilots are now issued information and an onboard chart reflecting "hold over" times for de-icing fluid. We didn't even know there was an "expiration" time (holdover time) before flt. 405. The manufacturer of the fluid had the info, but it was never forwarded to the final operators. Had that information been available, the incident could have been prevented.

As usual with the FAA, people have to die before action is taken.

I remember that night like it was yesterday. We were meeting some friends on USir at EWR and as I recall there was a heavy downpour going on. We heard the horrible news when we got home. Thus began the saga...........sad, very sad indeed..

For some reason, I thought that this same A/C 416US was the one that had the stuck main gear that landed in GSO. Does anyone know if it was or not?

416US was lost at LGA and 413US had the stuck gear accident at GSO, the result of a wheel chock being placed where it did not belong. 413 is still flying the line, thanks in part to a great job by the crew that day.

And re flight 405 as a result mainly of that accident a slot allocation program was put in place at busy airports like LGA during de-icing events. This program when in effect limits the number of aircraft that can be in line for takeoff at one time after they have been deiced. Ironically flight 405 did get a second de-icing and if my remember correctly one of the cockpit crew came back in the cabin to look out the windows at the wings just prior to takeoff.

And re 5050 I can't believe it's been 20 years. May Betsey Brogan and her Mother in Law (sorry can't remember her name) continue to RIP and to the gentleman who lost his wife and mother on 5050 continue to find peace in life.

Regards

LGA777

If you remember, this was also the same weekend Hugo hit CLT. We had to go around the ramp at night and call the tail numbers in to OCC so they could rout the A/C. Also on aproach we had to ask the crews..then Red tail..Blue tail...if they were taking out the same A/C. What a mess. It hit home when you saw those old yellow TP-37 in the ticket lift envelope, your co-workers, on the same A/C. The captain agreed to take it as an extra section to help move all of the customers stranded that night due to the weather and ATC problems.

I'll never forget hearing that quote from a US A/C " Laguardia..you have and A/C in the water at the end of RW 31". I get cold and shakey just typing that. It is one incident that you will never forget. My heart and prayers go out to anyone that had to work through this incident as well as the families effected. Thanks to all who assisted.

Thanks for listeneing....Jetman out B)

IIRC. the F-28 was flt 405. It was very similar the icing related crash of an F-28 in Dryden, ON the year before.

The aviation-safety.net database is a great tool for anyone looking for this type of info.

This accident forced the FAA to standardize deicing procedures. I was flying out of JFK the same night as the LGA accident, and the snow was so heavy that the L-1011 in the conga line for takeoff just in front of us was coated wingtip to wingtip. All commuter traffic was RTG due to the long taxi times.

The F28 flt # was US405 N485US or AU can't remember the letters .
There was 1493 at LAX
Flt 1016 DC-30 at CLT
FLT 427 737-300 at Pit
Flt 5050 at LGA

we also had an accident at Sarnak lake BE19 and a DC-30 hard landing at ELM broke the back on the 9. N751US 727-200 belly land at SJU .The F100 off the runway in the mud at MCI. N654US destoyed on the ground after catastopic engine failure no loss of life.

The F28 flt # was US405 N485US or AU can't remember the letters .
There was 1493 at LAX
Flt 1016 DC-30 at CLT
FLT 427 737-300 at Pit
Flt 5050 at LGA

The F100 off the runway in the mud at MCI.

The F100 incident was at BHM.

http://www.flightsafety.org/ap/ap_jul01.pdf

A B737-200 went low on a non-precision approach at MCI (with an FAA Inspector in the jumpseat!) clipped some high tension lines but landed safely.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19890908-1

Back