Usa Today: Mechanics Strike At Northwest Appears Over

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
USA Today Article

USA Today said:
"They had a few slogans. It was like a pep rally. They said 'We can bring them to their knees in two weeks.' Those two weeks turned into two months."

Layoffs at other carriers have swelled the labor pool with experienced mechanics, said Charles Craver, a labor law expert George Washington University.

"The (mechanics) in particular have just had delusions of grandeur," he said. "They think they're irreplaceable, and they're not."

OUCH!

That's gonna leave a mark. B)

As NHBBs would say: There ain't no real unions left (other than longshoremen).

Gonna be sad holiday season at lots and lots of houses. Maybe Delle will deliver presents to his lemmings', uhh, I mean . . . members' children.

OUCH!

That's gonna leave a mark. B)

As NHBBs would say: There ain't no real unions left (other than longshoremen).

Gonna be sad holiday season at lots and lots of houses. Maybe Delle will deliver presents to his lemmings', uhh, I mean . . . members' children.

I'm sure they will be ok, after all they earned at least $40,000 more than I did over the last two years.
That extra $40 k will give them a good running start to a new career or help them ride this out for a few more months.

By the way from what I've heard from the guys who quit AA and went to Con Ed not only do they like their new job but the company likes having guys with the diverse skills they posess.

There is a silver lining. If NWA merges with another airline, there is one less labor group integration to worry about. There will be no senority dispute; the NWA AMT's will be given full senority, and then they will be out on the street...Simple, isn't it?

I really do believe this whole deal was set up for a Northwest and Delta merger or buyout between the two.

Rumor floating around: Northwest is going to get rid of all its DC-9 fleet.

The DC-10 fleet has already been removed from service. I haven’t seen one here at DTW for a month now.

The DC-9's are gone. They probably move over to that new subsidiary they are talking about, and then gradually be replaced.

There is a silver lining. If NWA merges with another airline, there is one less labor group integration to worry about. There will be no senority dispute; the NWA AMT's will be given full senority, and then they will be out on the street...Simple, isn't it?
Well considering no mechanics outside of Delta airlines would work next to a SCAB, there would be problems.

I really do believe this whole deal was set up for a Northwest and Delta merger or buyout between the two.

Rumor floating around: Northwest is going to get rid of all its DC-9 fleet.

The DC-10 fleet has already been removed from service. I haven’t seen one here at DTW for a month now.

Well if thats the case then the AMFA guys will be better off than all the rest.

When Delta took over Pan Am they made all sorts of promises to the former Pan Am workers, who were encouraged to keep giving concessions by the TWU, only to break every one of them.

NWAs current workers are simply sacrificing their personal economic standing in order to make it a better aquisition for someone else. Once aquired, the new company will simply discard those same workers. Just like Delta did with the Pan Am workers.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. What do you mean they will be out on the street?

Your services will no longer be required.

Bob, wouldn't that depend on who the controlling company is? I think Northwest is the stronger of the two but who knows who will come out on top after the two bankruptcies.
Wouldnt Delta be the stronger one? I say that because it sounds like that NWA has to use a lot of its resources on paycuts and as for fleet wise, arent they hurting it more than what it really says?I thought that DAL was stronger due to only one union to deal with the rest they can easily get without the need to negogiate?

We asked the MAP's if there was a possibility of a Northwest/Delta merger. They said that anything is possible but that they had heard nothing of the sort and that it was highly unlikely. One of them then went on to say that the last merger Northwest went through with (Reliant?) was an absolute disaster. What was that all about?

That was the Republic Airlines merger, they were taken over by NWA sometime in the mid 1980's, and yes that was a disaster at least from the maintenance stand point. DTW was a hub city for both Republic and NW. I believe they just merged the lists and put the two work groups together never adjusting the pay, so you would have a NW guy and a Republic guy working together on the same job with one making quite a bit more $$$ than the other. Not a friendly work enviroment!!

To the people on this thread "who have their DIGNITY intact"(You know who you are),

Rationalize, that TALKING/Responding to SCABS like PTO/Opus, is like being too close to a
"SMALL POX OUTBREAK" !!

Stay AWAY,.........FAR AWAY !!

NH/BB's

Latest posts