USAir 427 Hopewell PA

2clippedwings

Veteran
Dec 24, 2002
PIT deportee
www.usaviation.com
As we approach the somber anniversary of September 11, 2001, another event for our hometown airline occured when one of our 737's crashed into a hillside just 5-6 miles from PIT, killing everyone aboard.

While on a visit home recently, I noticed that the "memorial" on Route 60 that had been tended beautifully for years appears to have gone to seed. Does anyone know who created the garden and who tended to it for all of these years?

It was a sad day for our USAir family and not one forgotten.

crash-site-lg.jpg

Thanks for recognizing this fateful day.
My thoughts are with the 132 victims and their families.
No one who was employed with US Air that day will ever forget it.

I was employed by the Airline at that time, And will never forget that evening either. There were a few passengers O/B that were due to make a connection to my station, and our Manager came out that evening to meet with their families. It was a very sad time for all involved, and my thoughts and prayers also go out to all who were onboard, as well as their families.

No one who was employed with US Air that day will ever forget it.

Absolutely, still remember the day. I flew out of PIT a few hours before the accident. That was the day they unveiled that Business Select product. I was one of the cust. svc reps from PHL invited to come to PIT for the unveiling. I think almost every station manager & above was in PIT that day. A couple of hours after flying back into ABE & hearing the news, it was just shocking.

I think we all started to think we were done after the flight 1016 crash a few months earlier and the previous ones in LGA and LAX. This made it five in five years.

I will never forget that day either. I was on a DC-9 on the approach to land immediately behind Flt 427. Our pilots didn't witness the actual fall of the plane, however they reported what they saw once the plane hit the ground. I am sure that is something they will never forget either.

Neither will I. A coworker was on that flight out of ORD after visiting her daughter and seeing her first baby grandchild. She used to work in PIT Res, but transfered to MCO. Recently remarried, her life was finally complete. She was due to connect in PIT to an MCO flight. Saw her name on the manifest and I almost collapsed. The horror that must have been on that flight. Johnnie was a lovely person. May she rest in peace.

My prayers go out to all the families and friends that were affected by this tragedy.

Does the company ever acknowledge any of these tragedies in their publications?

I think it would probably be a nice gesture for the friends/co-workers they left behind.

My best friend tried to get on that flight in ORD and was denied boarding. He was on a military fare and they told him they wouldn't hold the flight for him. Fate, I guess.

Did anyone ever happen to read "The Mystery of Flight 427?" Reading it gave me chills down my spine, and I lost respect for Boeing. God Bless the passengers, crews, and families of US Air 427.

i did that sure was terrible how boeing blamed uisair however in turn it was a usair mechanic and 2 boeing rep i think from the book that actually found the actual cause of the crash that was a great book.

Latest posts

Back