Vacation Buy Back for December

Wow, you resked your holiday for USAIRWAYS? You guys are hillarious, they do it b/c you let em'!! nothing more nothing less... Take your holiday off and enjoy your family, Heck take both holidays off.
I ment that if my seniority requires me to work on holiday, I do. I won't then let them assign me into days off. All off days are immoveable

I remember when I was interviewed they asked if I was willing to relocate. YES! Done it. I was also asked if I was willing to work weekends and holidays. I said YES and have for years! I didn't however catch the last part of their question when asking if I'd work holidays. I didn't know they whispered "work holidays FOREVER"! ! ! ! ! I can't blame people for catching the flu. Unfortunate colds and flu's happen. Obviously it's only the top half that get the perks. You can only screw the bottom half for so long. GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE and a HO HO HO.... ;)

I just did a quick Google search and found it's standard industry practice that Nurses are paid Double Time to keep the hospitals and such going on Holidays. Heck they get more for working 3rd shift. I have zero sympathy for management crying around every holiday when there is a simple solution right in front of their face. We all know our Flight Attendant group are all about SHOW ME THE MONEY. Then go to the union and ask for a side letter of agreement for Double Time pay 2 days before ON and 2 days after every major holiday. You would have people climb out of the woodwork!
Instead they choose to play this endless game of whoa is me and then cancel flights. I bet 1-2 canceled flights cost more on a holiday than all the double time pay they would pay out. The operation should run a lot smoother that's for sure. I hope Mr. Adler and listening. Then again this place has a history of self sabotage.

I just did a quick Google search and found it's standard industry practice that Nurses are paid Double Time to keep the hospitals and such going on Holidays. Heck they get more for working 3rd shift. I have zero sympathy for management crying around every holiday when there is a simple solution right in front of their face. We all know our Flight Attendant group are all about SHOW ME THE MONEY. Then go to the union and ask for a side letter of agreement for Double Time pay 2 days before ON and 2 days after every major holiday. You would have people climb out of the woodwork!
Instead they choose to play this endless game of whoa is me and then cancel flights. I bet 1-2 canceled flights cost more on a holiday than all the double time pay they would pay out. The operation should run a lot smoother that's for sure. I hope Mr. Adler and listening. Then again this place has a history of self sabotage.

Exactly, now you are getting it.. In most industries where you must remain open on holidays you are paid extra or given some incentive to work. At the airlines, you do it forever if you are in the bottom 50-60%, while the others reap all the benefits, not me.... No way - no how... People are crazy for giving up their lives for such a low salary and disrespect.. Give respect and you get it in return, I do not agree to poor treatment and missing my family on Holidays.. My priority is NOT my airline job, unlike so many passive flight attendants. Respect yourself, and if you decide to work, dont whine, its your choice. My seniority doesnt dictate my vacation or Holidays, and it shouldnt yours either.

I got it a long time ago I assure you. I am putting this on here since I know Tempe reads this board. Maybe a light bulb will flick on in their heads.

I got it a long time ago I assure you. I am putting this on here since I know Tempe reads this board. Maybe a light bulb will flick on in their heads.

Well hopefully but don't count on it, not many things have flicked, other than the boogers being flicked out of their noses. Enjoy the holidays RESERVES!!! Enjoy, with your friends and family at home, not the A/C!!!

Exactly, now you are getting it.. In most industries where you must remain open on holidays you are paid extra or given some incentive to work. At the airlines, you do it forever if you are in the bottom 50-60%, while the others reap all the benefits, not me.... No way - no how... People are crazy for giving up their lives for such a low salary and disrespect.. Give respect and you get it in return, I do not agree to poor treatment and missing my family on Holidays.. My priority is NOT my airline job, unlike so many passive flight attendants. Respect yourself, and if you decide to work, dont whine, its your choice. My seniority doesnt dictate my vacation or Holidays, and it shouldnt yours either.

"decide to work"....many of us don't have that luxury!! Making no pay as reserve is bad enough but then calling in sick so the company can pay me 70% and pocket the other 30%? No thanks, I will grin and bear it. Every year I hope that they would offer real holiday pay, but they don't. Imagine all the money that would be saved in the long run by doing so! But they won't, and in January we will again hear about all the cancellations,etc. Nothing changes. :blink:

The company is aware of how bad we WANT better holiday pay so they won't GIVE it regardless of how well it would be received. They don't care how much it costs currently. They'll crunch their numbers 15 different ways to say that the current way of approaching holidays is more cost effective. If they thought it would make any given holiday easier we'd have seen them offering something better LONG ago.

I don't think so Travel. They can't think outside the box and have always spent a thousand to save a penny. I really would like to see the cost analysis of canceling flights around the holidays vs paying crews who won't see their families at all, true double time.

I don't think so Travel. They can't think outside the box and have always spent a thousand to save a penny. I really would like to see the cost analysis of canceling flights around the holidays vs paying crews who won't see their families at all, true double time.

I believe that holiday pay is contractual. It's in my contract. AFA negotiated this. The company is only obligated to go by the contract. Perhaps this should be an item for negotiations.

Well hopefully but don't count on it, not many things have flicked, other than the boogers being flicked out of their noses. Enjoy the holidays RESERVES!!! Enjoy, with your friends and family at home, not the A/C!!!
The only people you hurt with you attitude is us. These are reasons why the vacation matrix is as tight as it is, it is also the reason they are offering vacation buy back. They know that the reserves will be calling in sick for 21 days right through the holidays. You also hurt our customers who buy tickets on our airline who are depending on getting to their desinations.

For the record, I am based in CLT with 20 years seniority, I won't hold the holidays off, I lost my primary line I will be lucky to get a secondary so this will be my 21st year of having to work the holidays. I do not intend to call off because I have job, I knew when I accepted this job it involved possible relocation, weekends and holidays. I have relocated twice for this job as well as sat on reserve in PIT for 15 years. I maybe looking at reserve again this winter. If you don't like the hours of the job or the days you are required to work, do us all a favor and quit. There are many people out of work that would give their right arm to have your job.

The only people you hurt with you attitude is us. These are reasons why the vacation matrix is as tight as it is, it is also the reason they are offering vacation buy back. They know that the reserves will be calling in sick for 21 days right through the holidays. You also hurt our customers who buy tickets on our airline who are depending on getting to their desinations.

For the record, I am based in CLT with 20 years seniority, I won't hold the holidays off, I lost my primary line I will be lucky to get a secondary so this will be my 21st year of having to work the holidays. I do not intend to call off because I have job, I knew when I accepted this job it involved possible relocation, weekends and holidays. I have relocated twice for this job as well as sat on reserve in PIT for 15 years. I maybe looking at reserve again this winter. If you don't like the hours of the job or the days you are required to work, do us all a favor and quit. There are many people out of work that would give their right arm to have your job.

Very well said! That is exactly why vacation fly back was offered...too many have vacation in December and the sick calls that are bound to come. People should be happy to have a job and if they are that miserable about it, they should quit. There are probably plenty of people out there who would give anything to work...even on the holidays!!!

Very well said! That is exactly why vacation fly back was offered...too many have vacation in December and the sick calls that are bound to come. People should be happy to have a job and if they are that miserable about it, they should quit. There are probably plenty of people out there who would give anything to work...even on the holidays!!!

No thanks, I do my job VERY WELL, and have many many letters to prove it. Unlike yourself, I just choose to spend my time how (I) want to spend it, and on the holidays it is with my family, PERIOD.. I stopped caring so much and feeling guilty after the plethera of BK's... Now it is my job, I do it well, then I walk off the plane and try to leave as much of work as possible, at the airport and not at home. It is not worth the stress. When my family is grown, I want them to have pictures of us all together on the holidays. Trust me, USAIRWAYS doesn't not give 2 nickels about you, you are a number, and they would be very happy if you would quit, so they could pay someone less to do your job (if thats possible). You just choose to do something for nothing and that is great, but I don't work that way, thankfully, or I would miss every Christmas with my family and they would be adults with zero memories, in exchange for no pension, less pay, and more work... Uh, no thanks.

No thanks, I do my job VERY WELL, and have many many letters to prove it. Unlike yourself, I just choose to spend my time how (I) want to spend it, and on the holidays it is with my family, PERIOD.. I stopped caring so much and feeling guilty after the plethera of BK's... Now it is my job, I do it well, then I walk off the plane and try to leave as much of work as possible, at the airport and not at home. It is not worth the stress. When my family is grown, I want them to have pictures of us all together on the holidays. Trust me, USAIRWAYS doesn't not give 2 nickels about you, you are a number, and they would be very happy if you would quit, so they could pay someone less to do your job (if thats possible). You just choose to do something for nothing and that is great, but I don't work that way, thankfully, or I would miss every Christmas with my family and they would be adults with zero memories, in exchange for no pension, less pay, and more work... Uh, no thanks.
Lucky for you that you work for an airline that has a union and a collective bargaining agreement otherwise you would be terminated. What does it matter if you are a good flight attendant with many letters to prove it you obviously are not a dependable employee so why would they want to keep you? Airlines need dependable employees, the fact that you are working under the contract you are is YOUR choice and not a reason to screw your passengers, fellow employees or your employer. Yes I know we all voted NO but funny, we are all still here.

Trust me I have a big life outside of this job, when I walk off the plane I do not think about US Airways again until my next trip. I have made adjustments over the past 20 years with my family, Thanksgiving is about being together does it matter if its Nov 27 or Nov 26? No it really doesn't. Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Christ and celebrating with your family, can we open gifts and celebrate on the 22nd and have a wonderful Christmas yes we can, can we celebrate it on the 26th and have an awesome celebration of course we can. My children have many memories of our holidays and many pictures to prove it. Do they all say Dec. 25th in corner, no but does that make it any less special to them NO it doesn't. Yes I have worked 20 holidays, but I still managed to have 20 awesome holiday seasons with my family as well. My family and I have made adjustments to my job because this job has afforded us luxuries that a normal job would not. What I have taught my children is you have a responsiblity as an adult and there are times that you have to adjust your life to fulfill those responsiblities. You on the other hand are teaching your children to blow off your responsiblities to your employer who is putting that food on your table and lie that you are sick because you are disgusted with the current contract that you agreed to work under.

As I stated I will have to work this year again, will we still have an awesome holiday as a family you bet your sweet arse we will and I won't be calling in sick to make that happen. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Back