Victory Garden .....

Garfield1966

Veteran
Apr 7, 2003
Texas
We planted a victory garden of sorts today. A few weeks ago we tilled up a 8' by 8' plot f land in our back yard that gets sun for the better part of the day. Between the weather and work I have not had the time till today to go shopping with my wife to get the plants/seeds so today we did it.

We got Cantaloupe, Cauliflower and Cucumber seeds (could not find plants) and Tomato (reg and grape size), bell pepper (red, yellow and one purple), squash (yellow, and spaghetti), egg plant, asparagus and lettuce.

This is our first adventure in the realm of gardening so we will see how it works out. We put in 4 bags of soil conditioner and about 8 bags of humus/manure mix.

We should start see the fruits of our labors in about 2-3 months. I can't wait.

I'll post a picture tomorrow when the light is better.

A great idea! Please post some pics.

After a couple of years of helping with my mother-in-law's garden, we're finally making the same leap ourselves... Only thing I might suggest to others is if your planning on making it a raised bed (or at least surrounded) is doing it 4' wide max, so you can reach anywhere in the bed without getting in it.

You can get 3 2x8s, cut one in half, and with "one cut" have a 4x8 box.

Also, if you live in an area with lots of squirrels, rabbits, etc. Window boxes can be an option for growing herbs and lettuce.

We planted a victory garden of sorts today. A few weeks ago we tilled up a 8' by 8' plot f land in our back yard that gets sun for the better part of the day. Between the weather and work I have not had the time till today to go shopping with my wife to get the plants/seeds so today we did it.

We got Cantaloupe, Cauliflower and Cucumber seeds (could not find plants) and Tomato (reg and grape size), bell pepper (red, yellow and one purple), squash (yellow, and spaghetti), egg plant, asparagus and lettuce.

This is our first adventure in the realm of gardening so we will see how it works out. We put in 4 bags of soil conditioner and about 8 bags of humus/manure mix.

Look into miracle grow and do what they recommend.....makes a difference big time.

(What......no 'non specific vegetable matter'?) :lol:

Need to go to work so this wil be quick and dirty. Still need to clean up and rake leaves and stuff. The plot is 8' by 8' with stepping stones.

P1010001.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

Good for you. Good luck on that. I wish I could do the same. I have a huge yard but what little open space left is for my pack of dogs. I have tried to grow vegetables in the past, but South Florida between the heat, the dogs and the iguanas, I am left to buying it all at the Saturday farmers market or the grocery store.

The only luck I have ever had with tomatoes, were the dog poop ones that grow randomly in the yard from the dogs.

Gar,

I am jealous. Your 8 x 8 garden is bigger than my entire outdoor space. Chicago doesn't lend itself to yards. Good luck.

Need to go to work so this wil be quick and dirty. Still need to clean up and rake leaves and stuff. The plot is 8' by 8' with stepping stones.

Here is my latest accomplishment. Getting grass to grow along the banks of my newly dug pond.

I just stocked it with 100 Blue catfish, 100 Coppernose Bluegill, and 10 pounds of fathead minnows. The Largemouth Bass will go in in May.

View attachment 8293

I did just buy one of those upside down tomato planter boxes. It sits on my back porch. I have 4 tomato plants hanging from under the box and strawberries growing from the top.
It looks similar to the picture below, except it is plastic. I will post a pic later. I hope everyone will keep us updated on how ther gardens are doing. (Maybe in between the snipe sessions).

View attachment 8294

I did the garden thing with a large 80'X80' plot a couple of years ago, but got tired of fighting the rabbits, deer, raccoons, etc...for the food. Not to mention it takes much hard work and a lot of time.

Here is my latest accomplishment. Getting grass to grow along the banks of my newly dug pond.

I just stocked it with 100 Blue catfish, 100 Coppernose Bluegill, and 10 pounds of fathead minnows. The Largemouth Bass will go in in May.

View attachment 8293

I did just buy one of those upside down tomato planter boxes. It sits on my back porch. I have 4 tomato plants hanging from under the box and strawberries growing from the top.
It looks similar to the picture below, except it is plastic. I will post a pic later. I hope everyone will keep us updated on how ther gardens are doing. (Maybe in between the snipe sessions).

View attachment 8294

I did the garden thing with a large 80'X80' plot a couple of years ago, but got tired of fighting the rabbits, deer, raccoons, etc...for the food. Not to mention it takes much hard work and a lot of time.
OK Tech...If thats your yard.....you got me!!! LOL...Nice!

Yo...Garfield...Slow down a little!! Looks like you did a great job, but, realize. All those plantings in an 8 by 8? Not going to work out well for everything. Certain things need a lot of room...squash, tomato plants. Cucumber is a ground/vine plant, can work either way, but you need room.

Last 3 years my wife and I have planted a 26' by 12'. 3 rows tomatos, 12 hot peppers, 12 various other peppers(mix of red, green, yellow), small patch of cukes, kholorabi, and at the end, 2 squash plants, and I was full. We do a lot of canning.

Hope this helps

Sometimes I wish it was not. That is only half of it.

Of course most is untouched neighborhood for the deer...until hunting season. :ph34r:
Hunting season......OK, now you are "tugging my chains"....LOL :up:

Yo...Garfield...Slow down a little!! Looks like you did a great job, but, realize. All those plantings in an 8 by 8? Not going to work out well for everything. Certain things need a lot of room...squash, tomato plants. Cucumber is a ground/vine plant, can work either way, but you need room.

Last 3 years my wife and I have planted a 26' by 12'. 3 rows tomatos, 12 hot peppers, 12 various other peppers(mix of red, green, yellow), small patch of cukes, kholorabi, and at the end, 2 squash plants, and I was full. We do a lot of canning.

Hope this helps

Yea, I kind of figured as much but I am kind of banking on the fact that some of the stuff won't make it for what ever reason. Should it all survive we will have a littel display of Darwinism at work. Only the strong will survive. This is our first time trying this and I am sure there will be a learning curve.

Thanks for the info though.

Back