Wal-Mart Teams Up With USAir to help Pax Thru Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2002
Bentonville, AR (XNA)
I'm pleased to see my current employer helping my former employer. Once again i'm proud of Wal-Mart for identifying a need and using our vast distribution network to fill that need.

-Mike in Bentonville (XNA)

Wal-Mart, US Air zip up security efforts
The Business Journal of Phoenix - 5:22 PM MST Wednesday

US Airways Group Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. are teaming up on a temporary basis to help airline passengers deal with federal security rules.

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration is allowing passengers to carry on some liquids and gels if those products are secured in a sealed, clear plastic bag. The move comes after a ban on a bevy of liquid and gel-based products implemented when British and U.S. officials foiled an attempted trans-Atlantic terrorist plot involving homemade explosives.

Wal-Mart said Wednesday it would place Ziploc plastic storage bags at US Airways check-in counters in Phoenix, Las Vegas, New York, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and a number of other cities starting Sept. 28.

Wal-Mart sells Ziploc products at its stores.

US Airways (NYSE:LCC) is based in Tempe and has major hub operations at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

I'm pleased to see my current employer helping my former employer. Once again i'm proud of Wal-Mart for identifying a need and using our vast distribution network to fill that need.

-Mike in Bentonville (XNA)

Wal-Mart, US Air zip up security efforts
The Business Journal of Phoenix - 5:22 PM MST Wednesday

US Airways Group Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. are teaming up on a temporary basis to help airline passengers deal with federal security rules.

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration is allowing passengers to carry on some liquids and gels if those products are secured in a sealed, clear plastic bag. The move comes after a ban on a bevy of liquid and gel-based products implemented when British and U.S. officials foiled an attempted trans-Atlantic terrorist plot involving homemade explosives.

Wal-Mart said Wednesday it would place Ziploc plastic storage bags at US Airways check-in counters in Phoenix, Las Vegas, New York, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and a number of other cities starting Sept. 28.

Wal-Mart sells Ziploc products at its stores.

US Airways (NYSE:LCC) is based in Tempe and has major hub operations at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
Is this for real?

Oh, and let the Wal-Mart bashing commence!

I certainly hope not to read any Wal-Mart bashing. Wal-Mart has treated my family and I like gold for several years now. We feel like valued members of a family here. The entire world saw Wal-Mart step up and generously donate millions of dollars in cash, merchandise, logistics, and trucking to help people during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita -- that is the Wal-Mart that we see every day.

I grew up in a US Airways family and felt that trmendous pride for USAir for many, many years. Today my wife and I feel that same pride for Wal-Mart and we're excited to see this partnership between the two great companies, even in such a small way.

I certainly hope not to read any Wal-Mart bashing. Wal-Mart has treated my family and I like gold for several years now. We feel like valued members of a family here. The entire world saw Wal-Mart step up and generously donate millions of dollars in cash, merchandise, logistics, and trucking to help people during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita -- that is the Wal-Mart that we see every day.

I grew up in a US Airways family and felt that trmendous pride for USAir for many, many years. Today my wife and I feel that same pride for Wal-Mart and we're excited to see this partnership between the two great companies, even in such a small way.

Sounds like they're giving out free Kool-Aid, too.

:shock:

I am from Arkansas and I can say that I know a lot of people who work for Wal-Mart...and they are very happy!
That must be due to the low cost of living in Arkansas. Ask some of their employees who live in the NE, where to cost of living is much higher how happy they are. Sad to say, but $8-$9 bucks an hour doesn't put you in the middle class bracket around here. :shock:

That must be due to the low cost of living in Arkansas. Ask some of their employees who live in the NE, where to cost of living is much higher how happy they are. Sad to say, but $8-$9 bucks an hour doesn't put you in the middle class bracket around here. :shock:

Since when is an entry level job supposed to put you in the middle class bracket?

Somebody asked for Wal*Mart bashing...

I've seen a lot of small town shopping districts dry up after a walmart moves in. They sit outside the town limits and don't even pay taxes to the town whose tax base they destroyed. The workers get paid zip. In the name of efficiency the wring the profits out of the manufacturing and distribution chain, so that only WalMart makes the bucks.

They give big dollars to charity...so what. The hidden losses are huge and dwarf the charitable giving.

WalMart people are the salt of the Earth, but their company(and Home Depot et al)is a destabliizing force and not a step forward.

I've got friends who work for Wal-Mart (not in Arkansas) who have over $1 million in Wal-Mart stock. They were smart and bought early and regularly. They still work for Wal-Mart par-time to fill some of their idle time - not because they have to.

Anybody working at US not in the Executive Suite with over $1 million of LCC stock in their portfolio? I doubt it.

Do you know the highest percentage of employed people on medicare or Wal-Mart employees?

hel-mart

Although it's not easy to decipher what you're trying to say (did you mean to use the word "or" or did you mean to use the word "are" in your 14 word post?

And since Medicare is primarily for OLD people (not poor people), I'm guessing you meant to type "MEDICAID," not "medicare." "Medicaid" is the federal/state program to provide medical assistance to poor and permanently disabled individuals.

One reason that people discount Wal-Mart bashing is precisely because the bashers can't write a coherent, accurate, mere 14 word slam of Wal-Mart. Can't even accurately re-type the Democratic Party/Union blast fax talking points. I blame the schools.

Now onto the substance of your post (as corrected by the necessary assumptions to make it sensible):

As the largest private employer in the world, it's a given that Wal-Mart will obviously have the largest number of employees on public assistance. What is the point of the statistic? That Wal-Mart underpays its employees? As JS pointed out, retail jobs aren't meant to be careers - they tend to be part-time and suitable for young people and students.

That older people (who are no longer teenagers or students training to do something requiring a little more brain power) lack the skills to do anything but be cashiers at retail stores like Wal-Mart isn't Wal-Mart's fault any more than it's your fault. Or mine. If they're unhappy with their Wal-Mart wages, they should get an education and go do something else.

Not unlike underpaid RJ pilots like the one who posted yesterday that he's paid a mere $350/week to fly a $33 million jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back